Mississauga Steelheads 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
Thanks I just saw his tweet. Did he get hurt in the scrimmage last night? Tough blow for the team, I was (and still am) looking forward to seeing him in the lineup

Don't know -- If he was in the scrimmage, I think it's safe to assume thats where it happened but it's a wrist and 'probably' has to have surgery. Tough for the team and also for him as you can imagine. Waited so long just to have this happen Day 1

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Don't know -- If he was in the scrimmage, I think it's safe to assume thats where it happened but it's a wrist and 'probably' has to have surgery. Tough for the team and also for him as you can imagine. Waited so long just to have this happen Day 1

Real shame, their second rounder from 2020. Any idea of the nature of the injury, knee, shoulder...

Sure hope his season isn't lost, but it must be tough to rehab while likely not up too full speed to begin with. There will be a few players that this happens too, his draft year as well I think.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Anyone have any reports with the roster additions so far. They had a scrimmage, who were the goalies, any FA's? A scanned copy of the line ups for the game would be great.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Teams shied away from Hardie once again, he was definitely hurt by the cancelled season. If he can show he has improved on the defensive side of the puck and put up a 40+ goal season he'll either be signed or drafted by the end of the year

Also tough to project lineups right now after only 1 pre-season game and no open practices/scrimmages to the public. Looking forward to seeing anyone's best guess of a lineup and maybe i'll try a crack at it later

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Teams shied away from Hardie once again, he was definitely hurt by the cancelled season. If he can show he has improved on the defensive side of the puck and put up a 40+ goal season he'll either be signed or drafted by the end of the year

Also tough to project lineups right now after only 1 pre-season game and no open practices/scrimmages to the public. Looking forward to seeing anyone's best guess of a lineup and maybe i'll try a crack at it later

if he doesn't improve his skating he could score 50 and still not get signed.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Seems a bit harsh considering he's in Traverse City right now with the Leafs. Don't get me wrong, he needs to work on his skating, but that's true about many drafted players.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Seems a bit harsh considering he's in Traverse City right now with the Leafs. Don't get me wrong, he needs to work on his skating, but that's true about many drafted players.

invites happen all the time, no different then at ohl camps. hes not a great skater and hes not overly big, thats two big strikes against the kid. no different then luchuk here in windsor. nhl contracts dont come often for guys with those kind of feet/size ratio.

hell get a pro deal, maybe a one way ahl deal, but hes a long way away from an nhl deal

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
That's fair and Hardie definitely has concerns with his skating that has also impacted him in the eyes of scouts. Mind you that I haven't seen him play since March of last year.

While I am probably more than a bit biased, I see worse OHLers than Hardie get drafted/signed all the time. Plus scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in this sport and he is pretty good at it

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hardie was consistently on the score sheet the last couple months they played. Who knows how he would have done last season playing on the first line with NHL drafted senior player(s). I know enough to know I am certainly not a scout but I was surprised no one drafted him, why not take a later round flyer?

Any extra names on the pre season roster? Only 2 keepers listed on their website, there has to be some other netminders in camp.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Though his skating certainly needs to improve, it’s absurd that Hardie hasn’t gotten picked 2 times now. Jonathan Yantsis was an example of a player who scored 50 goals and didn’t get picked because of his skating, but I don’t think Hardie’s was even half as bad as Yantsis’ skating from what I recall.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Basran picked up on waivers. He should definitely be the starting goalie next year as an OA. He had a rough go of it last year with Kelowna, but he was a major workhorse as a 17 and 18 year old in Kelowna, putting up a pair of .900+ seasons while playing 50+ games each year. Not as good as the numbers indicate, which is why he was never drafted, but he should at least be able to replicate what Edmonds was able to do as a starter.

Anselmini should be the 4th line RW next year.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Basran picked up on waivers. He should definitely be the starting goalie next year as an OA. He had a rough go of it last year with Kelowna, but he was a major workhorse as a 17 and 18 year old in Kelowna, putting up a pair of .900+ seasons while playing 50+ games each year. Not as good as the numbers indicate, which is why he was never drafted, but he should at least be able to replicate what Edmonds was able to do as a starter.

Anselmini should be the 4th line RW next year.

Thought something would shake out at goal. Edmonds was steady as they get, can't remember him having a bad game. Hopefully Basran can do the same.

I could see Ranger having a good year and returning next year as a OA.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think Ranger will get traded with this OA pick up. Barrie possible destination.

WJ

hes been waived through the league a few times, thats why he was playing in trenton last year. coudlnt give him away, not sure if thats changed

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
hes been waived through the league a few times, thats why he was playing in trenton last year. coudlnt give him away, not sure if thats changed
Typically players aren't waived when they are sent down. Teams still retain their rights. I don't believe your post to be accurate in that sense, although I also don't know how much a team would be willing to give for an unproven 19 year old goalie. Still thinking that Barrie has their sights set higher than Ranger.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Typically players aren't waived when they are sent down. Teams still retain their rights. I don't believe your post to be accurate in that sense, although I also don't know how much a team would be willing to give for an unproven 19 year old goalie. Still thinking that Barrie has their sights set higher than Ranger.

it is accurate, he was waived though the league. mississauga was going to run with edmonds and dilauro last year and ranger was signed with trenton

if you are signed on an a card, which ranger was, you need to be waived to move down to a lower league. players signed on b cards flow more freely.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Wow what a great way to start the season! I thought the team played well with the exception of a sloppy 3rd period which can be excused.

Ranger was solid in net but I think the biggest surprise for me was how good Del Bel Belluz was last night. Looking forward to seeing Hardie and Belluz connecting all season long

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Wow what a great way to start the season! I thought the team played well with the exception of a sloppy 3rd period which can be excused.

Ranger was solid in net but I think the biggest surprise for me was how good Del Bel Belluz was last night. Looking forward to seeing Hardie and Belluz connecting all season long

Agreed, the game sure got off to a odd start for Brand, just four seconds in. Nice to see 11 Swchindt snag the first one as well.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Whatever happened to Carson, don't see him on the roster. He was a second rounder:
Christy, CarsonRW5.09.7514610/15/2004Oshawa Generals MMAAAOMHA - ETA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad