Mississauga Steelheads 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Well I got my seats for the hopefully long playoff run, hoping for a first round upset in another series or else they face Hamilton in the second round should they advance.

Hoping for better attendance, the only time I've ever talked about the Steelheads with somebody (out side of the arena and this forum) is when someone saw me at a pizza place before a game and asked when did the players name on my jersey played for the Leafs ( in line, just saw the back). Turns out they thought that the Ice Dogs were still around. :dunno:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Shout out to Del Bel Belluz for his mentions on the coaches poll. Most improved and penalty killing, and Larsen for got mentioned for most under rated. Really like DBB's game, I also like that his name sounds like a exotic vacation resort! :laugh:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I didn't watch tonight's game, wondering how Basran was 1ST star?
He stopped 24 shots in the OT loss.

Mack Guzda with 38 saves , 1 GAA, for the visitors .

Is this just another case of blatant homerism by the local media ?

Reactions: MeafAttack

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good to see Beck save the day, not too mention Basran. This series is just getting warmed up.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
I didn't watch tonight's game, wondering how Basran was 1ST star?
He stopped 24 shots in the OT loss.

Mack Guzda with 38 saves , 1 GAA, for the visitors .

Is this just another case of blatant homerism by the local media ?
yes

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Have to win next game.
Yes, but even if they do I suspect the fish will lose the series. This team has been on a downward trajectory for the better part of 2+ months. Seems like they’ve lost the drive and quite frankly they don’t have the assets to go deep.

Enjoy the rest of the first round. I’ll eat my words if they make it to round two.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, but even if they do I suspect the fish will lose the series. This team has been on a downward trajectory for the better part of 2+ months. Seems like they’ve lost the drive and quite frankly they don’t have the assets to go deep.

Enjoy the rest of the first round. I’ll eat my words if they make it to round two.

I haven't seen much difference as the season went along, still the same plot line for the most part. Out shoot the opp but not quite generating the scoring chances one would expect from that shot total. They give up less shots but are giving up more chances. I think after their success for the first few months teams have been scheming to shut them down in the O zone even more effectively.

I think pulling this one out will be a tall order, just too thin on offence.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
My formula to win tonight and to win the series: Ranger in net, and Misa as Center on the first line.
Drop DBB to line 2. Play Beck with Uberti.
Prueter to the 4th line.
then if we lose, at least Ranger and Misa are happy they got the opportunity and they will be vital pieces next year.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
My formula to win tonight and to win the series: Ranger in net, and Misa as Center on the first line.
Prueter to the 4th line.
then if we lose, at least Ranger and Misa are happy they got the opportunity and they will be vital pieces next year.
Not bad suggestions, however I'm OK with Basran, he had a couple go in after getting a cut. I thought the Trout were swapping up their lines in Barrie somewhat, however with my old eyes I sometimes don't pick up on those things when watching it on the tube.

Other news, JR reps the East for Coach of the Year. Nice to see but I don't really put much stock into these things, especially the Pros as it seems the COTY is usually fired within 2 years after receiving the award.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Huge win, I don't think there would have been any chance of them coming back from 3-1 down in the series.

You could tell that Hardie was going to leave everything on the ice yesterday to secure the W, now the team needs that same type of performance from Del Bel Belluz on Saturday.

The same issues with depth scoring have shown up again in playoffs, really need a goal from one of Lavoie, Uberti, Veccia or Prueter if they're going to win this one

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Huge win, I don't think there would have been any chance of them coming back from 3-1 down in the series.

You could tell that Hardie was going to leave everything on the ice yesterday to secure the W, now the team needs that same type of performance from Del Bel Belluz on Saturday.

The same issues with depth scoring have shown up again in playoffs, really need a goal from one of Lavoie, Uberti, Veccia or Prueter if they're going to win this one
absolutely agree...Uberti has been good but needs to find the net. i think he's missing a set up man on his line and if he was paired with Beck they would click.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Prueter to the 4th line.
Why would Ranger go back? Would you? Lead the CHL in sv % and GAA since Christmas, and Best stats in North America for two weeks then get sat for the playoffs after 3 yrs of crap from JR? Don't hold your breath on that one. FYI- still number 2 in the league.... Enough is enough.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Why would Ranger go back? Would you? Lead the CHL in sv % and GAA since Christmas, and Best stats in North America for two weeks then get sat for the playoffs after 3 yrs of crap from JR? Don't hold your breath on that one. FYI- still number 2 in the league.... Enough is enough.

Where else does he go? He's the incumbant next season and I doubt the Trout swing any deals for a goalie to upsurp him and there isn't anyone in the pipeline. He backed up a solid Ingham his rookie season and while had some moments when Ingham was ill, he took a step back his sophomore year and Edmons deservedly so, had the keys to the crease. With the cancelled season he was an unknown going into this year and while playing well I would have chosen Basran as well to start the PO series, and Basran hasn't choked regardless of his leash length. Both goalies were leading the league for a good hunk thanks to the defence. He has not been drafted and I don't see a contract offer coming his way this offseason, his best bet is here next year by my modest estimation.

You posted here that he would be starting by Xmas his rookie year (2018) despite Ingham returning after being drafted by LA and attending their camp and have posted on other threads about training him and possible family connections and have never posted here about anything else Sauga related. Feel free to post here to your hearts content but I just think it would be a good idea that others know how much salt they need to take your posts with as we have some newer posters here.

BTW, I'm a fan of Ranger and hope he is back next fall, and I apologize if I sound harsh, just felt a fair rebuttal would be appropriate. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad