Missing Joe Bowen big time

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This decision, is just one of the reasons as to why viewership is down 22% with Rogers.

Joe Bowen wants back too. He also retweets stuff from people saying they want him back.

Wouldn't shock me at all if changes are made to the commentating teams heading into next season, and a Bowen return isn't out of the question at all, IMO

Is Joe Bowen a CFL commentator too? Or an NBA guy?

Because viewership of sports by Canadians is down at about the same clip as numbers in Rogers Hockey.

Yeah fair point tho - Joe RTing and interacting with fans who want him back is pretty heartbreaking stuff. He definitely wants back on the TV side.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This decision, is just one of the reasons as to why viewership is down 22% with Rogers.

Joe Bowen wants back too. He also retweets stuff from people saying they want him back.

Wouldn't shock me at all if changes are made to the commentating teams heading into next season, and a Bowen return isn't out of the question at all, IMO
There was even a petition to bring him back as their TV broadcaster.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I absolutely hate Ferraro. Very similar to Healy. **** off already. I don't want to hear his dumb ass opinions on everything. My dad called this guy out months ago and we now watch half the game muted. Mind you now we usually just watch half the game. Missing Bowen big time...

huh?

Ferraro is easily the best color in the business, one of the few analysts that nails it regularly

Healy is ****.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I liked Bowen as well.

But in doesses. Still, the fact he is gone was kind of a shock to me.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
YES, Ron was completely shafted by Rogers, it's a travesty!

Yep, Ron MacLean is a million times more of a HOCKEY man than that little Strombo jerk! :rant:

I don't watch the pre-game, or in-game segments, when he is on! :shakehead However, I'll watch Coach's Corner!!! :nod:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
How is Bowen being a "Maple Leafs cheerleader" as you said any different compared to regional broadcasters for any of the other 29 teams? As I previously stated the other Canadian teams kept their same play by play announcers for their regional games on Sportsnet and in some cases they are used during national broadcasts across Canada.

Quite simple: None of the other "regional broadcasters" are ignorant about the rest of the league. None of the other regional broadcasters don't know the names of players on the opposition. None of the other regional broadcasters are unaware of point streaks, hot or cold play, recent history, etc. of their opponents. Other broadcasters actually stay up to date with what is happening in the league, what young players are emerging, who a recent call up is, what's his pedigree, etc. Bowen only speaks about the Maple Leafs with any kind of knowledge at all, and even then its often dubious.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Rogers was not going to use Bowen on national games. (~40)
TSN paid a lot of money to keep miller and Cuthbert, so they were not going to use Bowen on their Leaf regional games (~26)
That leaves the Sportsnet regional games (~15)

So, you're whining and creating petitions about the PBP voice for 15 games. :shakehead

It just didn't make sense for Rogers to hire Bowen when they can cover those games with PBP guys already in their employ.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Quite simple: None of the other "regional broadcasters" are ignorant about the rest of the league. None of the other regional broadcasters don't know the names of players on the opposition. None of the other regional broadcasters are unaware of point streaks, hot or cold play, recent history, etc. of their opponents. Other broadcasters actually stay up to date with what is happening in the league, what young players are emerging, who a recent call up is, what's his pedigree, etc. Bowen only speaks about the Maple Leafs with any kind of knowledge at all, and even then its often dubious.

I suspect that it' s'more a matter the other Sportsnet regional deals are for 40-50 games, while the Sportsnet Leafs regional deal is for only about 15 games.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I actually think Bowen is better suited for the radio. He brings excitement to a medium which doesn't allow you to watch the game. He can also get away with more of his stuff than is tolerable on TV.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I don't give a flying **** about any team other than the Leafs, so I really haven't noticed him messing up names or anything. My set-up is 120+ inches of glorious HD with the TV broadcast muted and Joe/Jim talking. I like their veiled references to tanking for McDavid, but they obviously aren't allowed to say that. If you don't like Joe, you're a kid, obv...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I don't care about stuff like that. Also compared to other "homer" broadcasters like Jack Edwards I would say Bowen is a lot more professional. Just watch this rant he went on when it was proven he was completely wrong. Personally when I see stuff like that it's why I take Bowen any day.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If you want to telecast only to hard core Leaf fans then Joe's your man. If you want anyone else to watch for more than a few minutes then a less obvious Leaf cheerleader is what you need. Leaf fans will watch anyway--so to get the ad numbers you need some other folks watching. I am not saying Joe is the only homer-there are a lot of them out there--paid by the team to promote the team it seems....

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Bowen is the best when it comes to calling Leaf games. I loved him on TV and think it was a huge mistake trying to get "neutral" announcers for the Leafs. I feel the broadcasts are boring as hell, and really dislike the way they constantly criticize the team during a game. Ratings going downhill is tied to a non-competitive team, and a lousy (as compared to last year) TV talking head in Strombolopolous. I have no problem listening to post game criticizing as that does not interfere with the actual game I am trying to watch and enjoy.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I actually think Bowen is better suited for the radio. He brings excitement to a medium which doesn't allow you to watch the game. He can also get away with more of his stuff than is tolerable on TV.

Agreed.

He's loud and rarely shuts up, good for radio, not great for TV.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I don't care about stuff like that. Also compared to other "homer" broadcasters like Jack Edwards I would say Bowen is a lot more professional. Just watch this rant he went on when it was proven he was completely wrong. Personally when I see stuff like that it's why I take Bowen any day.

Jack Edwards is doing purely regional broadcasts. He is specifically linked to one team (like Bowen used to be.)

What Rogers is doing now is assembling a team of broadcasters without that "regional" feel. They are all professional and none of them are biased and, in theory, they could be interchangeable. When the Senators face the Maple Leafs on Rogers, it makes no difference what broadcast team handles the game, they are interchangeable.

There is no way in hell Joe Bowen could do that. But Bowen's lack of professionalism extends beyond his Maple Leaf cheerleaders and lack of knowledge about the rest of the league. He often goes on long rambles that he thinks are quite amusing that often have very little to do with game he is supposed to be calling. Judging by this thread, some people really like that folksy nonsense but others find it annoying and inappropriate and, frankly, completely unprofessional. Listening to a game called by Joe Bowen is like watching the game with your ill-informed drunk uncle.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I feel the broadcasts are boring as hell, and really dislike the way they constantly criticize the team during a game.

This is what a professional broadcaster does. They talk about the game, the team, the league, how teams are playing etc.

You may not like that the Leafs are being criticized, but in case you haven't noticed, the team is bloody awful and plays like they don't give a damn. Of course they are being criticized all the time. This is what happens when the broadcaster puts down his pom pom's, washes off his face-paint and actually talks to the audience about what is happening on the ice.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Equating boring and professional is stupid. Everyone here loved Bob Cole, and the guy is a pro's pro. Same with Gary Thorne and Doc Emrick. All 3 have great voice and passion, but a professionals. Same with Chris Cuthbert.

torleaffan

May 5, 2014
Cole is past his prime by about 15 years. Should not be calling a game now. It's disgusting. His mistakes on players alone are countless each game he does.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Why didn't they get Cuthbert to do Leafs "HNIC" (Saturday) night games and keep Bowen for weekday Leaf games? Instead, you get Romanuck who NHL hockey fans haven't even heard for ages. He was doing OHL games or something?

Rogers won the hockey sweepstakes against TSN so they couldn't get Cuthbert? Heck, even Milller would have been better for Leafs Saturday night games. Most teams have homer announcers so even though I think Bowen is overrated, Leaf fans are used to him and he's a homer announcer for them.

Miller and Cuthbert can have enthusiasm in their voice but I rarely hear anything from Romanuk unless an actual goal is scored.

The Leafs' broadcasts were something that Rogers was trying to hype but it's fallen flat. Most Leaf fans are disillusioned and disappointed in what's happened to Leafs broadcasts so obviously, their changes have failed miserably. Strombo is a joke. He's helped make the intermissions uneventful and dull.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Rogers was not going to use Bowen on national games. (~40)
TSN paid a lot of money to keep miller and Cuthbert, so they were not going to use Bowen on their Leaf regional games (~26)
That leaves the Sportsnet regional games (~15)

So, you're whining and creating petitions about the PBP voice for 15 games. :shakehead

It just didn't make sense for Rogers to hire Bowen when they can cover those games with PBP guys already in their employ.
Rogers couldn't pay them off? :) They let TSN have the best announcers and they are supposedly trying to market 'their product?' LOL! What a joke. They are cheap, greedy *****. ;)

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
Romaniuk seems like a good guy, but come on--no rhythm, no pace, no build-up; he's practically just having a conversation. I lose interest--where's the old school stylings of Foster Hewitt, Bob Cole and yes, Joe Bowen have cadence, peaks, and valleys. . Don't people hear the difference? No anticipation, just telling me what just happened rather than what IS happening. It seems that old-school play-by-play has given way to 'Hockey for Dummies'.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Romaniuk seems like a good guy, but come on--no rhythm, no pace, no build-up; he's practically just having a conversation. I lose interest--where's the old school stylings of Foster Hewitt, Bob Cole and yes, Joe Bowen have cadence, peaks, and valleys. . Don't people hear the difference? No anticipation, just telling me what just happened rather than what IS happening. It seems that old-school play-by-play has given way to 'Hockey for Dummies'.

Totally agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad