Missing Joe Bowen big time

torleaffan

May 5, 2014
Can't believe how Joe Bowen got shafted and bumped from the tv broadcasts. He brought real excitement to the broadcasts.

And another thing: Strombolopoulos is out of his league as host of HNIC..laughs hysterically for no reason..has to read cue cards...is terrible. Now I know why CNN canned him.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Can't believe how Joe Bowen got shafted and bumped from the tv broadcasts. He brought real excitement to the broadcasts.

And another thing: Strombolopoulos is out of his league as host of HNIC..laughs hysterically for no reason..has to read cue cards...is terrible. Now I know why CNN canned him.

I think Strombo has been ok, not great but decent.

Moving Bowen was stupid IMO.

Rogers is a disaster.

Bluejaysfan*

Rogers does a lot of dumb things...this being one of them.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
You miss him missing names and being drink every broadcast? I am a huge fan of Bowen was born for radio and thats where I love to listen to him

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is my whole problem with Joe Bowen not doing the Leafs games on TV, at least those on Sportsnet which are regional. All the other Canadian teams have the same play by play announcers for their games on Sportsnet, so why did Rogers choose to make Paul Romanuk the Leafs broadcaster?

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I don't mind Paul Romanuk. I like his voice. Wish they'd get rid of Millen though he's annoying as ****.

Everyone talks about Bowen going because he was a homer. Millen is the biggest homer but he's just more annoying when he interrupts the call with some boring story about back in the day when.... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...

Just let Romanuk call the damn game man.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I tune into a broadcast to WATCH the Leafs! I could care less who is doing the play by play etc.

Now, as far as Strombolopoulos goes, I don't think he's very good, but, I'll still watch the Leafs play, and, completely ignore the in between period segments with him. I'll watch Coach's Corner, but, that's it!

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I never found Joe bad even though he got a lot of hate on here. To me, him and Cole are the voices of the leafs you know? I've hated Paul as the announcer since hearing the first pre-season game. His calls are boring.

Joe would at least make your attention spike when something happened, I can zone out and in with Paul monotone voice and cringe every time he asks really dumb questions and his colleagues obviously don't want to answer them.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
You miss him missing names and being drink every broadcast? I am a huge fan of Bowen was born for radio and thats where I love to listen to him

I tend to agree. When i started to listen to Bowen on the radio in mid 90's, the guy was instantly one of my favourites. Absolutely loved hearing him call on radio.

He loses that focus when doing tv broadcast, which is a shame. If somehow we could get the radio version of Bowen on tv without him acting like a drunken sailor laughing like a hyena every two min then that would be great.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I was listening to the radio broadcast a few games ago and yeah I miss him lots. He makes the horrible play a little less horrible to watch/listen to. he's been the voice of the leafs for me as long as I can remember. Now the broadcasts are so dull.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I never found Joe bad even though he got a lot of hate on here. To me, him and Cole are the voices of the leafs you know? I've hated Paul as the announcer since hearing the first pre-season game. His calls are boring.

Joe would at least make your attention spike when something happened, I can zone out and in with Paul monotone voice and cringe every time he asks really dumb questions and his colleagues obviously don't want to answer them.

I just see Gollum when I see Romanuk....sorry..:p:

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I tend to agree. When i started to listen to Bowen on the radio in mid 90's, the guy was instantly one of my favourites. Absolutely loved hearing him call on radio.

He loses that focus when doing tv broadcast, which is a shame. If somehow we could get the radio version of Bowen on tv without him acting like a drunken sailor laughing like a hyena every two min then that would be great.

Exactly he got to carried away when he was on T.V so they moved him to radio where he better suits

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I don't mind Paul Romanuk. I like his voice. Wish they'd get rid of Millen though he's annoying as ****.

Everyone talks about Bowen going because he was a homer. Millen is the biggest homer but he's just more annoying when he interrupts the call with some boring story about back in the day when.... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...

Just let Romanuk call the damn game man.

Paul Romanuk is the most boring incompetent play-by-play announcer this side of any American hockey announcer. Bowen is terrific and has the intonations that all great announcers have, and a great call on goals. I disagree on Millen, I think he's got a great understanding of the game and shares that very well.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Paul Romanuk is the most boring incompetent play-by-play announcer this side of any American hockey announcer. Bowen is terrific and has the intonations that all great announcers have, and a great call on goals. I disagree on Millen, I think he's got a great understanding of the game and shares that very well.

I don't disagree that Millen has a great understanding of the game and of the Leafs in particular but I just feel like he can drag on about topics for too long and sometimes shares rather boring stories in the middle of an important play.

Yes, Romanuk isn't the greatest. All I said was I liked his voice. I would definitely rather have Bowen for sure. The guy is a legend.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't pretend to know the reasons behind the choice to not retain Joe Bowen, but the moment the deal with Rogers was announced, I suspected they would let Bowen go.

Frankly, he was really unprofessional. He often didn't get the names right for players on the opposition and he was routinely woefully uninformed about how those teams were doing or how their players were performing which is really inexcusable for a professional play-by-play announcer. He was also a blatant, shameless Maple Leaf cheerleader that would mean Rogers couldn't even entertain the idea of having him cover games for any other teams and games were the Maple Leafs played other Canadian clubs would be a serious issue.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't pretend to know the reasons behind the choice to not retain Joe Bowen, but the moment the deal with Rogers was announced, I suspected they would let Bowen go.

Frankly, he was really unprofessional. He often didn't get the names right for players on the opposition and he was routinely woefully uninformed about how those teams were doing or how their players were performing which is really inexcusable for a professional play-by-play announcer. He was also a blatant, shameless Maple Leaf cheerleader that would mean Rogers couldn't even entertain the idea of having him cover games for any other teams and games were the Maple Leafs played other Canadian clubs would be a serious issue.
How is Bowen being a "Maple Leafs cheerleader" as you said any different compared to regional broadcasters for any of the other 29 teams? As I previously stated the other Canadian teams kept their same play by play announcers for their regional games on Sportsnet and in some cases they are used during national broadcasts across Canada.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
Holy Mackinaw!
Figure's don't lie, but liars can figure
Top shelf where they keep the peanut butter

Bowen is/was awesome, and an iconic announcer, and none of these pups can hold a candle. I didn't know about the shaft, I thought he retired, but I sure do miss his announcing.

glasses91

Jul 10, 2012
Steelheads!?
I absolutely hate Ferraro. Very similar to Healy. **** off already. I don't want to hear his dumb ass opinions on everything. My dad called this guy out months ago and we now watch half the game muted. Mind you now we usually just watch half the game. Missing Bowen big time...

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't miss Bowen, I think his ship has sailed.

I don't think anyone out there is that great right now though, Cuthbert is probably the best. A lot of average talent calling games these days.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Joe Bowen didn't get "shafted"

He was a Leafs play-by-play guy & a Leafs fan, and a broadcaster who's primary objective was to nationalize their coverage went with guys who were more neutral.

That's hardly Bowen being mis-treated.

Want to talk mis-treated? Let's talk Rob MacLean.

I'm cool that there are tons of Bowen fans, myself included, that miss the guy, but he had no business being apart of the new hockey broadcast in the same way he had no right to be involved in the old traditional HNIC.

Plus you can still hear his voice on radio

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
I still remember the game where he thought Filip Forsberg was the son of Peter Forsberg. :laugh:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Joe Bowen didn't get "shafted"

He was a Leafs play-by-play guy & a Leafs fan, and a broadcaster who's primary objective was to nationalize their coverage went with guys who were more neutral.

That's hardly Bowen being mis-treated.

Want to talk mis-treated? Let's talk Rob MacLean.

I'm cool that there are tons of Bowen fans, myself included, that miss the guy, but he had no business being apart of the new hockey broadcast in the same way he had no right to be involved in the old traditional HNIC.

Plus you can still hear his voice on radio

YES, Ron was completely shafted by Rogers, it's a travesty!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This decision, is just one of the reasons as to why viewership is down 22% with Rogers.

Joe Bowen wants back too. He also retweets stuff from people saying they want him back.

Wouldn't shock me at all if changes are made to the commentating teams heading into next season, and a Bowen return isn't out of the question at all, IMO

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Bowen was actually entertaining to listen to
even when the Leafs went south

now it's just stat this stat that, blah blah blah
do this do that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad