Missing Joe Bowen big time

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Can't believe how Joe Bowen got shafted and bumped from the tv broadcasts. He brought real excitement to the broadcasts.

And another thing: Strombolopoulos is out of his league as host of HNIC..laughs hysterically for no reason..has to read cue cards...is terrible. Now I know why CNN canned him.

ya bowen with sunshine and raibows coming out of his arse ....finally anouncers who tell it like it is ..

david999

Jan 21, 2011
This is what a professional broadcaster does. They talk about the game, the team, the league, how teams are playing etc.

You may not like that the Leafs are being criticized, but in case you haven't noticed, the team is bloody awful and plays like they don't give a damn. Of course they are being criticized all the time. This is what happens when the broadcaster puts down his pom pom's, washes off his face-paint and actually talks to the audience about what is happening on the ice.

Bowen is the play-by-play guy not the team analyst. You ever hear other team's play-by-play guys constantly critical of the home team? Never. As I said before, I can take post game criticism all day and night:rant:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo Miller and Cuthbert are the best 2 play by play Romanuk is crap bowen is crap, Cole is crap(now), Hughson's crap and Mike Johnson and Ray Ferraro are the best Analysts right now imo

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jack Edwards is doing purely regional broadcasts. He is specifically linked to one team (like Bowen used to be.)

What Rogers is doing now is assembling a team of broadcasters without that "regional" feel. They are all professional and none of them are biased and, in theory, they could be interchangeable. When the Senators face the Maple Leafs on Rogers, it makes no difference what broadcast team handles the game, they are interchangeable.

There is no way in hell Joe Bowen could do that. But Bowen's lack of professionalism extends beyond his Maple Leaf cheerleaders and lack of knowledge about the rest of the league. He often goes on long rambles that he thinks are quite amusing that often have very little to do with game he is supposed to be calling. Judging by this thread, some people really like that folksy nonsense but others find it annoying and inappropriate and, frankly, completely unprofessional. Listening to a game called by Joe Bowen is like watching the game with your ill-informed drunk uncle.
John Bartlett who use to broadcast the Toronto Marlies games last season moved to Montreal to broadcast their games on radio and this season he became their TV broadcaster for their regional games on Sportsnet and a lot of their national games on Sportsnet.

John Shorthouse and John Garrett continue to keep doing the Canucks regional and national games for Sportsnet.

Kevin Quinn and Louie Debrusk continue to keep doing the Oilers regional and national games for Sportsnet.

Rick Ball has continued doing the Flames regional and national games for Sportsnet.

So why is ok for those teams to not change their broadcasters who were doing their games prior to the Rogers contract and Joe Bowen gets pushed aside to only doing radio for the Maple Leafs.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
John Bartlett who use to broadcast the Toronto Marlies games last season moved to Montreal to broadcast their games on radio and this season he became their TV broadcaster for their regional games on Sportsnet and a lot of their national games on Sportsnet.

John Shorthouse and John Garrett continue to keep doing the Canucks regional and national games for Sportsnet.

Kevin Quinn and Louie Debrusk continue to keep doing the Oilers regional and national games for Sportsnet.

Rick Ball has continued doing the Flames regional and national games for Sportsnet.

So why is ok for those teams to not change their broadcasters who were doing their games prior to the Rogers contract and Joe Bowen gets pushed aside to only doing radio for the Maple Leafs.

I already answered this. Joe Bowen is unprofessional and a shameless cheerleader.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
1423463406929.jpg

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I already answered this. Joe Bowen is unprofessional and a shameless cheerleader.
I will say this for the last time. How is Joe Bowen different from any other regional broadcaster in the NHL, because wouldn't they all be a cheerleader for the team that hired them?

Also I still say it's hypocritical of Sportsnet to allow the regional broadcasters to keep working for those Canadian teams I mentioned along with doing some of their national games across Canada and not to let Joe Bowen doing at least the Leafs regional games for Sportsnet, considering he had been calling them for years.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I will say this for the last time. How is Joe Bowen different from any other regional broadcaster in the NHL, because wouldn't they all be a cheerleader for the team that hired them?

Also I still say it's hypocritical of Sportsnet to allow the regional broadcasters to keep working for those Canadian teams I mentioned along with doing some of their national games across Canada and not to let Joe Bowen doing at least the Leafs regional games for Sportsnet, considering he had been calling them for years.

If you don't notice a difference between Joe Bowen and the other broadcasters you mentioned, there's not much I can do to help you.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Yes but Sportsnet only has 15 regional Leaf games compared to 40+ for other teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If you don't notice a difference between Joe Bowen and the other broadcasters you mentioned, there's not much I can do to help you.
Compared to other regional broadcasters like Jack Edwards, I personally think Bowen is normal compared to him and the types of comments he has made about other teams, players or fans of other teams.

rojac said:
Yes but Sportsnet only has 15 regional Leaf games compared to 40+ for other teams.
That information with standing why do their commentators also get to do some of their national games across Canada when Sportsnet would show a two games on a Wednesday? That's what I don't like because everyone knows they are not neutral since they will still have a bias towards the team they work for.

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
Cole is past his prime by about 15 years. Should not be calling a game now. It's disgusting. His mistakes on players alone are countless each game he does.

I agree, its pretty funny listening to him its almost like he has dementia.
Bowen for life :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad