Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXIII - Are We There Yet? (September edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
LeBrun said Gandler was willing to go 8 years for 8.25-8.5

To be fair, after Chabot replicates last season in 19-20, he would probably get even more than $8.5 on an 8 year deal. Signing a year early saved Ottawa some money.

Reactions: wasup

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It feels like a potential Streit situation where a guy's numbers will be inflated because he's pretty much the only player on a team.

Good for both of them stepping up when in that situation of course, but sustainability is a risk.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Having watched Chabot for years, I’m more inclined to believe he will be a potential Norris winner than an overpay. I think this signing could be brilliant.

I'm with you on this one. He's really f***ing good.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They could have selected Barzal, Chabot, Connor, and more and instead selected DeBrusk, Zboril, and Senyshyn. They could have been a ****ing dynasty.

They'd have had to trade at least one of them by now, though. Theres no way they coulsve afforded them all, even with the cheap bridges they got from McAvoy and Carlo.

Not that trading a bright star is a terrible idea... it wouldn't just given them more young talent to keep the roster churn going.

Thank god that didnt happen. Bruins are good enough as is.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
31 Thoughts: Byfuglien decision will have major ripple effect - Sportsnet.ca

10. Jared Spurgeon’s extension helps Faulk’s case for that number. According to industry gossip, Fenton’s intention was to put Spurgeon at Ryan Ellis’s number: eight years, $50 million — an AAV of $6.25 million. The change to Bill Guerin — and the Wild’s determination to lock down their defender — moved him up to $7.575 million. Great for Spurgeon, who clawed up the ladder the hard way. As several executives pointed out, that will raise the bar for Faulk, Tyson Barrie, Roman Josi, Torey Krug, Jake Muzzin and Alex Pietrangelo.

19. One scout who watched the Flyers’ prospects a couple of times: “My goodness, Philadelphia is loaded.”

20. The most important of those prospects is Carter Hart, who solidified Philadelphia’s net during an unbelievable season of injury and misfortune. At the NHL/NHLPA media event in Chicago, Sean Couturier talked about how much of a difference a full-season of Hart can make.
“It was tough never knowing who was going to be the next goalie,” he said. “Guys were falling down like flies, but we found a way to stay focussed and make a push towards the end.”

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He can always demand a trade at some point. Like Ristolainen is doing (despite not being that good).

Reactions: Rebels57

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Three years from now send will still have chabot under contract and lumbus will have a headache. At least they get to save some capspace next couple of years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Three years from now send will still have chabot under contract and lumbus will have a headache. At least they get to save some capspace next couple of years.

Columbus saved cap space they didn't even need though. That was not an ideal contract for them. I get the McAvoy extension in Boston due to the cap crunch they are in.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Those numbers don't add up, 2 more years at $9M a year (UFA years) would be 8/58 = 7.25 a year.

Don’t shoot the messenger. But he’s one of the most well credentialed hockey writers. I’ve done the math. It’s $12.75 mil in years 7/8. Perhaps that was an earlier number or an agent setting a high point. It’s one helluva high point.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
They could have selected Barzal, Chabot, Connor, and more and instead selected DeBrusk, Zboril, and Senyshyn. They could have been a ****ing dynasty.
I normally don’t do the revisionist history thing, but holy shit.

The amount of assets they could recoup alone on one or two of those guys could easily push that window open for another half decade plus.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don’t shoot the messenger. But he’s one of the most well credentialed hockey writers. I’ve done the math. It’s $12.75 mil in years 7/8. Perhaps that was an earlier number or an agent setting a high point. It’s one helluva high point.

Reads more like a journalist or the agent getting their numbers confused.
$9M for the four UFA years is pretty aggressive, given that Trouba is getting about $8.25M for his 7 UFA seasons.
Anything more strains credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad