Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXIII - Are We There Yet? (September edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Continue here...

znmUgow.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ottawa just extended Chabot for 8 years $8 million per. He's likely worth it.

Can't believe Melnyk signed off on that. He's swimming in debt apparently.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If you're using one exceptional season, especially in a small sample size, to prove that you are 'one of the best' - it is 100% betting.

He's been the best defensemen on every team he's ever been on. Safe to assume he's going to continue to be Ottawa's #1 and perform at a very high level.

55 points in 70 games and a +6.1 Relative Corsi as a sophomore defensemen with very little talent around you is pretty outrageous.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He's been the best defensemen on every team he's ever been on. Safe to assume he's going to continue to be Ottawa's #1 and perform at a very high level.

55 points in 70 games and a +6.1 Relative Corsi as a sophomore defensemen with very little talent around you is pretty outrageous.

I'm not saying it wasnt a smart bet.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

Context is important. The overall shooting % and team productivity actually went up over 10% last season, for Ottawa- mainly because of the new goaltending equipment changes.

This was expected: more goals and higher scoring games.

Chabot won’t be under a 10% of the cap type player unless the TV deal creates a TON of money.

Statistically speaking, if you normalize Ottawa’s production going back to their ECF year, Chabots stat line would look like: 11G - 34A - 45P.

Now, I’m not saying he isn’t worth the contract. He did amazing on a joke of a team. If goaltenders figure out better angles with their equipment, with the lack of talent in OTT, that line could be what Chabot will have. I don’t think he’s worth being a top 7 paid Dman, potential is a slippery slope to bet on, but it’s something OTT should have done.

Good for them for the deal. Any more shenanigans there and Melnyk would’ve seen an uprising. I just think that 1 year of elite player is a bold move for a long term, high cap % deal (Backloading too).

Amazing player. Not trying to degrade in any sense. Recency bias makes our judgements convoluted. I’d be a hypocrite to say I am not a part of this.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Still a gross overpay, 4 RFA years, figure $24M is top dollar, that means he's getting $10M a year for his 4 UFA seasons.
So he has to turn out to be Karlsson good to justify this deal.

Thing with Sanheim, 2yr-$6.5M, 2yr-$10M?, 4-36M ($9M a year for his UFA seasons) ?
- 8 years, $52.5M - $6.55M a year
or 10 years, $70M - $7M a year.
So even if Flyers end up giving him 8yr/$64M with 2 RFA years left, they still come out ahead with the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad