Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXII - A full set of teeth (September edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is f***ing histerical ..and also sad

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love when Brian Burke talks like this:

"Dubas should have followed the blueprint of kicking Nylander's ass until his nose bled and save money on him to show the next 2 that they would be fighting over money"

Talking on Tim & Sid right now.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Have any of these rfa deals been unfair...? We keep waiting waiting waiting and then, this is probably what should have been agreed upon day one.

I’d like 12 million, max term.

We will give you 1 million, 1 year.

Can I have 1 year but 20 million.

We will do two, but no more than 2 million.

This continues to the chagrin of fans everywhere until the day they sign.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The veterans will want to keep RFA deals down and the next CBA will probably have more structured salaries for that reason.
If RFAs get paid close to UFA money, the 30 and older veterans will be squeezed to death by the salary cap.

Reactions: Starat327

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Carlo, Point, Tkachuck, Connor, Rantanen, Laine and Marleau are only unsigned players left. Seems like things won't turn out nearly as dramatic as we were lead to believe so. At least we have to spectacle of Aho offersheet to look back upon.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Marner. :)

But yep, that's it.

I know this doesn't need to be addressed again, but the degree in which Dubas royally screwed up the Matthews and Nylander deals paved a clear path for Marner to get what he got. Matthews was handed the best deal in NHL history on a silver platter. I hope the moment that Matthews signed his deal, McDavid fired his agent. How do you not use the McDavid contract as a ceiling when negotiating. If y0u're going to give him that contract you have to lock him up for 8 years, simple as that.

Dubas then follows that up with the Nylander deal. William Nylander is a fine player who is being overpaid by about 2 million dollars a year, thats all. Whom would you rather have, TK at 5.5 or Nylander at 7.5, it's a no brainer for me. How about comparing him to someone in his same draft class like Ehlers. Very comparable players and production yet Ehlers gets paid 1.5 millon dollars a year less and giving up an extra ufa year.

Then we come to Marner. Well after you paved the way with the Matthews contract how could Marner ask for anything less since he outproduced him last year, and is arguably their best player. So while Marner not have as great of a deal as Matthews, his deal is still 2nd best in the league. Dubas has used the same structure for the Tavares, Marner, and Matthews contract.

Everyone thought that with all these RFA deals of late that it was going to become this RFA revolution, but the reality is that Dubas is the only GM that gave into this belief that RFA's had to have their ego's stroked and by the looks of it no other GM has followed suit. These deals are going to cost TML a cup, no amount of slick drafting and managing is ever going to make up for the cap hit these contracts make up. Not saying they aren't great players, but their talent to cap hit are so incongruent from the rest of the contracts in their class.

Reactions: renberg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Then we come to Marner. Well after you paved the way with the Matthews contract how could Marner ask for anything less since he outproduced him last year, and is arguably their best player. So while Marner not have as great of a deal as Matthews, his deal is still 2nd best in the league. Dubas has used the same structure for the Tavares, Marner, and Matthews contract.

Arguably their best player because he scored a ton of Points and that matters most in contract negotiations or because you think he might be?

I probably would have ended up trading Marner because his demands were so high, so I'm not approaching it from the same angle as Dubas, but I still can't concoct any reasonable argument Marner is likely the best of that bunch.

These deals are going to cost TML a cup, no amount of slick drafting and managing is ever going to make up for the cap hit these contracts make up. Not saying they aren't great players, but their talent to cap hit are so incongruent from the rest of the contracts in their class.

All of them have majorly positive trade value on their contracts, so I would argue that by definition there are ways out if it doesn't work.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
What is a person who believes you need some of each? I mean we aren't Jurasic but we also are Futuristic.
This is a world worth living in. With both the future, and dinosaurs, coexisting, in harmony, and war.

dinoriders1_3622.jpg

Reactions: Amorgus

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Carlo, Point, Tkachuck, Connor, Rantanen, Laine and Marleau are only unsigned players left. Seems like things won't turn out nearly as dramatic as we were lead to believe so. At least we have to spectacle of Aho offersheet to look back upon.

The Laine drama will only get crazier after most recent comments

Reactions: Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad