Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I just listened to a Button interview from yesterday. At the very end he said Couturier isn't even close to Scheifele or Zibanejad. :shakehead

He was pretty much saying Hanifin's case is similar to what Couturier was in 2011. I understand what he's trying to say. Too bad he's way off base saying those guys are AINEC better than Couts.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/button-hanifin-good-but-not-an-elite-defenceman-1.251096
The critics of Coutourier aren't willing to accept the merit of the role that he has played since he came here. Also the fact that he's been injured off and on during his career, enough to limit his off season regimens.
His defense is better than anyone I've ever seen for a player of his age. Stats skew things in favor of the scorers-we see their goal/assist numbers. For a guy like SC there aren't adequate stats to show the goals that he has prevented.
During the last six weeks we have had a chance to see what he can do on offense. His play in the corners and in front of the net improved immensely with decent play by his wingers. Physically he is starting to fill out and get stronger. He's going to be a beast.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Those stats do exist. I'm pretty sure Appleyard has shown Couturier out produces the forwards he's matched up against, even though they are usually the other team's best players.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Those stats do exist. I'm pretty sure Appleyard has shown Couturier out produces the forwards he's matched up against, even though they are usually the other team's best players.

But typically the other teams best offensive players are not the best defensive players.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I love how when button says something about morin ghost and sanheim our unbiased fanbase praises him.

ANd then when he talks about couturier our unbiased fanbase is able to find fault with him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I love how when button says something about morin ghost and sanheim our unbiased fanbase praises him.

ANd then when he talks about couturier our unbiased fanbase is able to find fault with him.

It depends on if what he's saying makes sense.

Like your usual criticisms of Couturier, this did not make sense, and it certainly damages his credibility in my eyes.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

It's almost as if someone can be right at times and wrong at others....

Crazy, I know.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Sometimes Button is right, sometimes he's wrong. It's his job to be opinionated.

And of course people are going to be happy that somebody outside of the organization is gushing about Sanheim and Morin. I'd be happy no matter who it was saying the things he's said about those two.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Sometimes Button is right, sometimes he's wrong. It's his job to be opinionated.

And of course people are going to be happy that somebody outside of the organization is gushing about Sanheim and Morin. I'd be happy no matter who it was saying the things he's said about those two.

Button just clarified on his Couturier statement when asked about it...

"I didn't mean it to come across like that. Sean is solid. I was trying to reference thought at draft time with respect to others, specifically Zibanejad & Scheifele. You are right & I was wrong in way I said it. I have to be better in that regard. Thanks for pointing that out. Appreciate it".

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Button just clarified on his Couturier statement when asked about it...

"I didn't mean it to come across like that. Sean is solid. I was trying to reference thought at draft time with respect to others, specifically Zibanejad & Scheifele. You are right & I was wrong in way I said it. I have to be better in that regard. Thanks for pointing that out. Appreciate it".

Classy.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Button just added...

Sean is a very solid player. I never saw him as a prolific offensive player into his draft year but basically as what he is. But because he had put up good offensive numbers in junior, there was a thought he would do same in NHL. Real contributor. The point I didn't make was that there was disbelief at draft time that Zibanejad & Scheifele could be in same discussion.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, Button's a pretty positive guy, even when he had Virtanen as low as he did last year, he would never expose the kid when give the chance to.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Calgary is already up 2:0. Normally I'm against being a bandwagoner, but I love to watch the Flames play. They're just too fast for the Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad