Miscellaneous NHL Talk XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The guy who wrote that blog is trying to be Maddox but he isn't as smart as Maddox. That's the downfall of many an internet writer who grew up reading his site.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, that's the thing, too. When Giroux gets "bullied" he relishes it. He enjoys when the game gets emotional. I think it keeps him engaged, and often we see him elevate his game at these times.

Crosby doesn't do well with emotions. Once you get him emotional, he's no longer the best player in the world.

Malkin is a bit different. He channels his frustration in a more positive way. He's prone to snap, but he doesn't let it effect his actual hockey abilities much if at all.

I feel like Malkin is more prone to take a stupid penalty in retaliation when hit or pestered by an opponent.

Crosby just takes it & sulks more often than not.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I feel like Malkin is more prone to take a stupid penalty in retaliation when hit or pestered by an opponent.

Crosby just takes it & sulks more often than not.

Yeah, Malkin will take a bad penalty, but his actual hockey playing effectiveness isn't changed much (and I've seen it light a positive fire under his ass many times, too). So I tend to think the emotions cancel out with Malkin. Not a net gain or loss, imo.

With Crosby, though, like you said, he sulks and plays much worse which is obviously a net loss for them.

Letang also plays worse with emotions, too. And I think Fleury's nerves get to him when the game gets emotional, as well.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For all you Erik Gustafsson lovers, he's still on the Flyers' roster in NHL (for now).

Nailed his potential though- 7th D. :D

They gave Pronger ****** ratings.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
For all you Erik Gustafsson lovers, he's still on the Flyers' roster in NHL (for now).

Nailed his potential though- 7th D. :D

They gave Pronger ****** ratings.

And as always they don't realize Coburn's biggest asset is his skating. He's always 83 in skating and it seems to me that's the case here as well (4 stars).
I'm not getting the game but I know I would have to sacrifize a day to get the ratings right. Classic EA.

Also Lecavalier = Simmonds.
Downie 83.
Brad Richards 85.

It's completely stupid.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
And as always they don't realize Coburn's biggest asset is his skating. He's always 83 in skating and it seems to me that's the case here as well (4 stars).
I'm not getting the game but I know I would have to sacrifize a day to get the ratings right. Classic EA.

Also Lecavalier = Simmonds.
Downie 83.
Brad Richards 85.

It's completely stupid.

Yeah and they always make Kimmo fast, although it looks like they may have lowered him this year.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Lecavalier is apparently our fourth best player!

I'm glad they finally gave read a better rating, he was always around 81 and never got any goals.

They also still have Voracek as a sniper

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
Vinny might be better there. His shot is better than Hartnell's and Schenn's, and Schenn is probably more effective down low.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No way, Vinny would be in Voraceks spot, so that's obviously not happening. Schenn belongs in Hartnells spot, no question.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Pens fans are salivating at the idea of having Carcillo and Downie on their fourth line, and here we are ready to protest at the thought of having Rinaldo and White together. :laugh:

Crazy. I'm pumped that they've gone out of their way to devalue what could have been an excellent fourth line centered by Marcel Goc.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think the PPs will be something like this:

Simmonds
Giroux-Schenn
Streit-Voracek

Umberger
xxxxxx-Lecavalier
Del Zotto-xxxxx

Couturier, Akeson, Read and MacDonald will be the guys fighting it out on PP2.

Though Lecavalier and Schenn could swap... but I think that would be negative for PP1, as even though both are lefties Vinny would just try and play Jakes role and not get stuck in... we need Schenn to just do what Hartnell did tbh.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Pens fans are salivating at the idea of having Carcillo and Downie on their fourth line, and here we are ready to protest at the thought of having Rinaldo and White together. :laugh:

Crazy. I'm pumped that they've gone out of their way to devalue what could have been an excellent fourth line centered by Marcel Goc.

They would both be good 4th liners if:

Downie plays healthy... but he won't, and even so he will not be on the Pens 4th, he will be on the 3rd,

Carcillo was not such a narcissistic headcase. He can play hockey on both sides of the puck... but he is a liability due to always trying to be centre of attention and thinking he is awesome.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

Their justification for Carcillo is hilarious. According to them, he isn't a liability because he's been on two cup winning teams and one cup contending team; like he actually made any notable contributions to any of them. They like to point out what he did to the Flyers this past playoffs, as if that is the norm to expect from him. Credit to one poster over there trying to talk sense into those diluted ********, but he's just wasting his time. A lot of them have convinced themselves differently.

I truly can't wait for the season to start. Their tune is going to do a complete 180. Downie and Carcillo are going to be their whipping boys.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
While I love how effective out PP can be, the amount of shorthanded chances/goals opposing teams get infuriates me. The one against the Ducks that wound up being the winning goal sticks out to me.

As far as PP lines go...I think it should be:

Simmonds
Giroux-Schenn
Streit-Voracek

Umberger
Couturier-Read
MDZ/Coburn/MacDonald-Vinny

Not really sure about the 2nd PP, but it can't be worse than it was last year, right? And maybe they could try Couturier quarterbacking it on the right side with Read in Hartnell's spot? Does anyone else think that's worth a shot?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Coburn's days on the PP are over. I think Berube prefers two defensemen on the second unit as they are usually out as the PP is winding down and he doesn't want to get caught with a forward back. Assuming Timonen is out, MacDonald would be that guy next to MDZ. The played him on the left side of the PP when he came over last year, and while he has decent hands, he's just kind of there- it was the same when Meszaros was out there. They desperately need a RH shot to balance things out. Gostisbehere, whenever he comes up, would probably jump MacDonald.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Coburn's days on the PP are over. I think Berube prefers two defensemen on the second unit as they are usually out as the PP is winding down and he doesn't want to get caught with a forward back. Assuming Timonen is out, MacDonald would be that guy next to MDZ. The played him on the left side of the PP when he came over last year, and while he has decent hands, he's just kind of there- it was the same when Meszaros was out there. They desperately need a RH shot to balance things out. Gostisbehere, whenever he comes up, would probably jump MacDonald.

Yeah I noticed the same thing with MacDonald too. I just wanna see the 2nd unit blown up. That was probably the most frustrating part of last season for me. Everyone on that unit just looked so disorganized and out of sync. You knew as soon as they stepped on the ice that the rest of the penalty was most likely going to get killed off.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah I noticed the same thing with MacDonald too. I just wanna see the 2nd unit blown up. That was probably the most frustrating part of last season for me. Everyone on that unit just looked so disorganized and out of sync. You knew as soon as they stepped on the ice that the rest of the penalty was most likely going to get killed off.

It's been like that for a few years now. I think part of the reason is the first unit has been so good. They always get first crack- in the offensive zone. They are usually on the ice for over a minute if they don't score. By the time the second unit gets on the ice, they have about 40 seconds to work with, they have to gain the offensive zone, which they have trouble with, and by that time the PP is just about done. Another reason is they haven't had a guy to lean on on that unit. Streit helped and Lecavalier's shot was nice to have for that little run he had at the end of the year, but they didn't and haven't had a playmaker on that unit and it has hurt. I think they wanted Couturier to be that guy, but he hasn't yet and he got pulled from the PP.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
It's been like that for a few years now. I think part of the reason is the first unit has been so good. They always get first crack- in the offensive zone. They are usually on the ice for over a minute if they don't score. By the time the second unit gets on the ice, they have about 40 seconds to work with, they have to gain the offensive zone, which they have trouble with, and by that time the PP is just about done. Another reason is they haven't had a guy to lean on on that unit. Streit helped and Lecavalier's shot was nice to have for that little run he had at the end of the year, but they didn't and haven't had a playmaker on that unit and it has hurt. I think they wanted Couturier to be that guy, but he hasn't yet and he got pulled from the PP.

Good point. Couturier will get his chance again this year (at least he should) and hopefully he shows improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad