Miscellaneous NHL Talk XVI - 2018/19 Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I think this gem from the thread about the former ref (who lives outside Toronto of course) whining about the reffing in Toronto's game 2 won't be beat for my Post of the Day:

"Snuggles, the bear from the fabric softener commercial and distant cousin of Carlton the bear, when asked about the style of Leafs play, declined to comment, but squeezed his face into a blanket directly from the dryer."

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
These playoffs are upset central. All that stuff about the regular season not mattering and the best team rarely actually winning it rings true I guess.

Best record is rarely the best team.
Injuries, callups and deadline trades mean the best team in March isn't the same as the best team in December.
Colorado is a good example.

Though I'm skeptical of most deadline trades b/c too many GMs over pay for incremental improvements that don't make much difference.

Smart GMs pick up players like Stone they know (and can afford) they can extend for a reasonable price, dumb GMs (Sather) keep spending high draft picks for 2 months of second tier players. Blackhawks made TDL deals that didn't cost an arm and a leg but helped the team:
example, Handzus for a 4th, 11 points in 23 PO games
They traded a couple late 2nd rd picks, the only overpay was in 2016, at the end of their run when they traded a 1st to rent Ladd and that didn't work out, 2 points in 7 PO games.

Colorado finished the season 8-1-2.
In this case I think it's just a young team jelling, veterans are forwards Soderberg (33), Wilson (29), Calvert (29), D-men Barrie (27), Cole (29), Johnson (30). Brassard (33), TDL 3rd rd pick, has only played 2 of the games.
Jost and Girard, both 20, are the only players under 23, so while the Avs are young, not too young.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I didn't. Not happy with last night.

On the other hand, anything we got for Simmonds was a plus, his decline was a rapid as Read.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And all the comments are that the Flyers say no. How quickly thing change

f*** dude, it was THIS season even that people refused to trade Simmonds because we needed him to be our playoff rental and because he was too important to the team. In the fall, people still wanted him re-signed to a 4-5 year high AAV contract because we couldn't afford to lose him.

Some people wanted him traded 2 years ago when his value peaked.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
**** dude, it was THIS season even that people refused to trade Simmonds because we needed him to be our playoff rental and because he was too important to the team. In the fall, people still wanted him re-signed to a 4-5 year high AAV contract because we couldn't afford to lose him.

Well as you know, I was an advocate to trade him for a few years.

Hell, if Hextall was still here, Simmonds could be too!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

tenor.gif

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Well as you know, I was an advocate to trade him for a few years.

Hell, if Hextall was still here, Simmonds could be too!
Trading Simmonds after his All Star season would've made so much sense. He probably was the most valuable power forward in the league at that point.

Instead he traded a younger player in Schenn...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
**** dude, it was THIS season even that people refused to trade Simmonds because we needed him to be our playoff rental and because he was too important to the team. In the fall, people still wanted him re-signed to a 4-5 year high AAV contract because we couldn't afford to lose him.

I wanted to trade him for the practical reasons but on the other hand I didn't want to trade him because he was Mr. Train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad