Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLII - The answer to life, the universe, and everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just win baby, unless it is October or November, points dont count until December. Just play in October and November and win from December on.

AV used the first half to figure out what he had, who fit together and to get the team on the same page.
That seems to have worked, hasn't it?

If you play the first half just to win, you don't experiment, give LHV players a cameo and see who is ready (most weren't, NAK and Bunnaman were). So you then have inexperienced call ups that you don't know if they're ready the second half of the season.

In any sport, the first quarter of the season tends to be the "shakeout cruise" where you find out which veterans are on the decline, which kids are on the rise, and then you try to get your team to jell for the stretch run. For a 1t year HC, the shakeout cruise often takes longer as he has to get to know the team and see how they fit the new schemes.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Here's a great story for you guys...

Frank Seravalli was on the Jay and Dan Podcast and he talked about the Emery/Holtby fight. That night, Seravalli was picking the 3 stars for that game, which he says are always a joke. He picked Emery as the 3rd star based on the fact that what he did was a great highlight for the game. Apparently this pissed off a lot of the Caps players and McPhee. A few days later, Seravalli was informed that Holmgren said he was no longer picking the 3 stars...which he was happy to hear.

Fast forward a few years later, Seravalli was getting ready for the Expansion draft, and he decided that he would apologize for what he did when he saw McPhee. He did, but McPhee said he had no idea what he was talking about. They chatted some more about the draft, and after they said their goodbyes, McPhee said that what he did destroyed Holtby's confidence... He hasn't been the same since (he would go on to win the cup that season though).

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I’ve suspected it for a while but the thread title confirms @CanadianFlyer88 as a real hoopy frood. Unlike that dingus @Beef Invictus who doesn’t even know where his towel is.

I gotta say I’m nervous as a canes fan. There’s an extremely small chance we just traded a lottery pick to New York. The Skjei trade stipulates that whichever pick is higher goes to the rangers. If Toronto’s pick is top 10 it slides to next season. Then if we miss the playoffs AND win the lottery it goes away.

It’s a very small chance, granted, but given how a metro team keeps jumping up to the top three picks it’s large enough to make me nervous.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’ve suspected it for a while but the thread title confirms @CanadianFlyer88 as a real hoopy frood. Unlike that dingus @Beef Invictus who doesn’t even know where his towel is.

I gotta say I’m nervous as a canes fan. There’s an extremely small chance we just traded a lottery pick to New York. The Skjei trade stipulates that whichever pick is higher goes to the rangers. If Toronto’s pick is top 10 it slides to next season. Then if we miss the playoffs AND win the lottery it goes away.

It’s a very small chance, granted, but given how a metro team keeps jumping up to the top three picks it’s large enough to make me nervous.

Brady Skjei was not worth that risk

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Just realized I'm going to be in Vienna/Prague for the first few games of the first round of the playoffs. Games would start around 1 in the morning there, what are the chances I can find a place to watch the game(s)? I'm sure @Appleyard would know.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
LA 2-zip after 2

tenor.gif

Reactions: pit and Rebels57

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Is Drew Doughty even good anymore? That play was horrendous. Microstats ain't painting a very pretty picture, but he's on a terrible team playing huge minutes

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just realized I'm going to be in Vienna/Prague for the first few games of the first round of the playoffs. Games would start around 1 in the morning there, what are the chances I can find a place to watch the game(s)? I'm sure @Appleyard would know.

Prague should be easy-ish... a few bars usually show NHL, and a few of the games will likely be on national TV, so if you have a TV in the room could well be on.

Vienna might be trickier. But there are a few sports bars that post their schedule in advance. Champions Sports bar for example... only been there once and it is not my kind of "vibe" but probably some of the games will be on there.

Reactions: flyers0909
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad