Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part 12 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It might be a bit intentional when you have no other options ;)

(and one cheerleader in his sixties)
d897722b1fc1b1cd16a4448436c284e8.png

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Points scored by the pieces involved in the ROR trade so far:

ROR - 61 points in 59 games

Berglund - 4 points in 23 games (retired)
Sobotka - 11 points in 56 games
Thompson - 11 points in 51 games

Buffalo will also get the Blues 2019 1st (was top 10 protected), and their 2020 2nd. Thompson is only 21, so maybe in three years it doesn't look so bad.

Ryan O'Reilly Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: TheKingPin

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Points scored by the pieces involved in the ROR trade so far:

ROR - 61 points in 59 games

Berglund - 4 points in 23 games (retired)
Sobotka - 11 points in 56 games
Thompson - 11 points in 51 games

Buffalo will also get the Blues 2019 1st (was top 10 protected), and their 2020 2nd. Thompson is only 21, so maybe in three years it doesn't look so bad.

Ryan O'Reilly Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I will forever stand by my opinion we should have been involved in that deal. Unreal that people here didn’t want him.

Couts
ROR
Patrick

That down the middle would have been a strong lineup

Reactions: klutch

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I will forever stand by my opinion we should have been involved in that deal. Unreal that people here didn’t want him.

Couts
ROR
Patrick

That down the middle would have been a strong lineup

I agree, it was a clear case of a good-to-elite player who was available for well under his true market value. We'll likely see this type of scenario play out again in the offseason with 1 of Seguin/Benn.

People here didn't want ROR because A. he was going to get in the way of Patrick blossoming into a 70-point scorer and B. PP scoring doesn't count.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Where was ROR going to play on the PP?
And be wary of one year wonders, see B Schenn.
If ROR regresses to his career norm, Thompson, a 1st and 2nd will seem reasonable.
Or does anyone want to trade Farabee and Frost for B Schenn?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If ROR regresses to his career norm, Thompson, a 1st and 2nd will seem reasonable.

I agree with you in general, but his usage in Buffalo was absolutely absurd. I don't think he fit the timeline of this team too well and would require PP time as you said, but I think his talent was often sold a little short too.

Also, there's this: Hakstol might still be the coach if ROR was here.

Reactions: Domino666

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Any on the power play since it’s one of the worst in the league? He would have been an improvement over just about anyone there. He could have easily replaced Simmonds on the top unit. Or JVR(who maybe you don’t sign then...)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was one of the best in the league when Hextall would have been considering a trade.
Yes, RORs salary would replace JVR, but he wasn't needed on the PP.

Hindsight is always 20/20, you have to judge moves at the time.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I couldn't easily check the 17-18 stats last night, but here they are:

Manning - 65 games, 1,166:53 TOI, 18:15 PP TOI
Lehtera - 62 games, 651:54 TOI, 34:36 PP TOI
Sanheim - 49 games, 763:35 TOI, 13:54 PP TOI

Which is why deadhead will forever remain on my blacklist.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It was one of the best in the league when Hextall would have been considering a trade.

Yeah, it would have been a good move at the time.

ROR is a 27-year-old two-way center who is good in all situations, posts great possession numbers while getting brutal matchups, and wins 58% of his faceoffs. He's the player you're praying Patrick becomes.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I agree with you in general, but his usage in Buffalo was absolutely absurd. I don't think he fit the timeline of this team too well and would require PP time as you said, but I think his talent was often sold a little short too.

Also, there's this: Hakstol might still be the coach if ROR was here.

Please dont encourage him, Jojo.

As an aside - did you make it to the office today, and if so, how bad were the streets downtown?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I still can’t get over Chris Vandevelde playing 81 straight NHL games (H-bombed last game of the year) in 16-17, to not even getting a look on that garbage US Olympic team last year.

Now, now. VV is currently 5th in scoring on Salzburg EC in the Austrian league, so clearly he can produce under the right circumstances.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

It’s not hindsight when the people you are debating with said they wanted him? This isn’t a surprise to us. ROR is a great player who would have dramatically improved this roster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
ROR would have been an improvement, but what was the cost?
Thompson = Laughton? Lindblom? (from last summer's perspective)
2019 1st, probably same value to us as St Louis
2021 2nd

ROR was hard to value, 14-26, 19-23, 12-27 ES in Colorado from 20-23
then averaged 11-23 in three years in Buffalo, not some big falloff from his Avs years.
So basically a marginal 2C, 40-45 ES points a reasonable expectation.
Which is why I don't trust this year's performance, like Schenn, a big jump over his "norm."

He's also a LH center, with Frost a year away.
Had he been a RH, I think knowing Simmonds was headed out the door, if they thought he could slide over, he's have been a more attractive target.

The other issue is whether Buffalo would have traded him in the Conference.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
ROR would have been an improvement, but what was the cost?
Thompson = Laughton? Lindblom? (from last summer's perspective)
2019 1st, probably same value to us as St Louis
2021 2nd

ROR was hard to value, 14-26, 19-23, 12-27 ES in Colorado from 20-23
then averaged 11-23 in three years in Buffalo, not some big falloff from his Avs years.
So basically a marginal 2C, 40-45 ES points a reasonable expectation.
Which is why I don't trust this year's performance, like Schenn, a big jump over his "norm."

He's also a LH center, with Frost a year away.
Had he been a RH, I think knowing Simmonds was headed out the door, if they thought he could slide over, he's have been a more attractive target.

The other issue is whether Buffalo would have traded him in the Conference.
40-45 point center EV would be our second line center and would create a solid offensive duo down the middle. Let's alos not forget that ROR can play all three positions so he isn't exclusively a center so impacting Frost is not a serious concern.

Also, to the price, if it was Laughton, 1st rounder (protected) and a 2nd rounder thats an easy deal for us to make. Hexy most likely didn't make the call to them.

Also, your last little note about them maybe not trading in conference is irrelevant. It's a hypothetical and we will never know the outcome. I will give you that isn't a dumb as you saying that this situation is hindsight. Flyers could have drastically improved their team with not only a great 2nd line center who can play any position but also one of the better defensive forwards in the game as well. Team defense and offense would have been improved in one deal. And seeing what he returned, the Flyers (and every other team) should have been in on him.

Thats not hindsight, thats what people were saying at the time he was available.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
There was a lot of discussion around ROR in the offseason and a lot of it focused on his EV scoring in Buffalo. Deadhead (who also fretted that you'd have to give up a prospect like NAK and obviously wouldn't be as good as Patrick) said he was a 3C because of his EV scoring, and asked, "Are you getting the Colorado ROR or the Buffalo one?"

Of course ROR has scored between 55 and 65 points for 7 straight years except one season he missed 60 games. Looks exceptionally consistent and the same player to most, deadhead says his value plummeted.

Also ROR went from a 112/90 point Colorado team to a woeful one in Buffalo.

This is very similar to when Schenn went from scoring 26 goals to 25 goals and people were freaking out because his EV goals went from 15 to 8. Schenn's overall ice time and PP time were essentially the same, his overall production was the same, but those PP goals didn't count on the scoreboard so he was in severe decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad