Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So I was visiting the polls section.
Is it just me or is Slavin reaching cult territory?

Kind of haha. But it's a legit cult. He's a 22 year old 4th round pick who is in his sophomore season and leads Carolina's D in total ice time/game. He gets the toughest minutes and zone starts and leads the team in GF% and is 3rd in expected GF%, behind his partner, Pesce, and Faulk. He's their work horse.

It's just funny looking at Carolina's great organizational blue line depth, and it consists of Faulk (2nd rounder), Slavin (4th), Pesce (3rd). In rounds 2-4, the Canes just seem to kill it lately....add in Aho, Kuokkanen, Rask, Nicolas Roy for forwards. It's funny that they (over) drafted Fleury 7th overall, and he'll probably be a nothing special, simple bottom 4 guy, and now Hanifin hasn't been quite as good as advertised so far (soooo young, so it's no final judgement, but he was always #3 for me of those d men in that class, even pre-draft). They just took Bean too. They're pretty stacked even if their high 1sts don't reach their ceilings. Curious that they've really not been a great 1st round drafting team (Gauthier pick I wasn't a fan of this year either), but they're great in the middle rounds and those guys are most of the core of their team.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Two things that standout about Slavin.

1. Two C's in "Jaccob"
2. He has played on some pretty terrible teams in his life.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So have we entered another dead puck era?

There are 19 goalies with Save % over .920.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Budaj being at .919 might be the biggest indicator. He was an AHL goalie the past two seasons.

There was a big discussion of Bishop's struggles this season on Hockey Central and Dave Andreychuk (who works for TB) said part of it was definitely his uncertain contract status.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Have been since 2010.

It has almost surpassed the DPE now... lowest scoring era since the late 1940's to mid 1950's

DPE was really 1997-2004, with ~5.3 GPG average over whole period of hockey.

2010-present is at right about 5.3 GPG too. If no jump in scoring next year this era of low scoring will have been longer than the DPE too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Kind of haha. But it's a legit cult. He's a 22 year old 4th round pick who is in his sophomore season and leads Carolina's D in total ice time/game. He gets the toughest minutes and zone starts and leads the team in GF% and is 3rd in expected GF%, behind his partner, Pesce, and Faulk. He's their work horse.

It's just funny looking at Carolina's great organizational blue line depth, and it consists of Faulk (2nd rounder), Slavin (4th), Pesce (3rd). In rounds 2-4, the Canes just seem to kill it lately....add in Aho, Kuokkanen, Rask, Nicolas Roy for forwards. It's funny that they (over) drafted Fleury 7th overall, and he'll probably be a nothing special, simple bottom 4 guy, and now Hanifin hasn't been quite as good as advertised so far (soooo young, so it's no final judgement, but he was always #3 for me of those d men in that class, even pre-draft). They just took Bean too. They're pretty stacked even if their high 1sts don't reach their ceilings. Curious that they've really not been a great 1st round drafting team (Gauthier pick I wasn't a fan of this year either), but they're great in the middle rounds and those guys are most of the core of their team.

Bad 1st round picks are incompetence.

Good mid-round picks are luck.

;)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I know I have said it before but I have a soft spot for Pesce. He is a kid who has earned everything so far in his career because unlike some high end prospects he has had to earn his way into the spot he is in with Carolina.
Doesnt happen much with prospects from UNH, so I am happy for him.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I know I have said it before but I have a soft spot for Pesce. He is a kid who has earned everything so far in his career because unlike some high end prospects he has had to earn his way into the spot he is in with Carolina.
Doesnt happen much with prospects from UNH, so I am happy for him.

Schenn plus Laughton for Pesce +?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Everytime I watch a Carolina game they look like a pretty good team. But then I check the standings and they're the same mediocre a team they've been for ~10 years now.
Granted the Metro has been crazy good this season, but there just seems to be no progress in Carolina.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Everytime I watch a Carolina game they look like a pretty good team. But then I check the standings and they're the same mediocre a team they've been for ~10 years now.
Granted the Metro has been crazy good this season, but there just seems to be no progress in Carolina.

They have nearly the worst group of forwards in the league and have gotten bad goaltending so far.

A good young defense can only accomplish so much.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Ron Francis is a fantastic GM and going many great things for them.
There are some interesting young players on that team and Jeff Skinner is someone I'd love to see on the Flyers. Always been a fan of him.
Still though at some point they need to at least be in the race for the playoffs.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I'm a big proponent of making the ice bigger, and I would like to think that the new arenas are being constructed with the possibility of expanding the ice surface built into the architecture, so it's an easy convert if/when that happens. It seems like the issue with that has always been that it takes seats, and thus revenue, away from the owners. I can understand that, although the benefits to the play should be worth the relatively minimal loss of revenue.

But I've seen some comments on these boards where seemingly knowledgeable fans are saying that the trapping/clutching/grabbing would get even worse on big ice, and I don't really get that. There would be more room to operate and fast and/or elusive players would have more ice on which to pull their tricks. It has really started to look crowded out there - human beings are, on average, much bigger than ever before - especially professional athletes involved in Hatcherism (i.e. weightlifting) - and Bettman added a fourth (i.e. useless) official to the fray to crowd it further.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm a big proponent of making the ice bigger, and I would like to think that the new arenas are being constructed with the possibility of expanding the ice surface built into the architecture, so it's an easy convert if/when that happens. It seems like the issue with that has always been that it takes seats, and thus revenue, away from the owners. I can understand that, although the benefits to the play should be worth the relatively minimal loss of revenue.

But I've seen some comments on these boards where seemingly knowledgeable fans are saying that the trapping/clutching/grabbing would get even worse on big ice, and I don't really get that. There would be more room to operate and fast and/or elusive players would have more ice on which to pull their tricks. It has really started to look crowded out there - human beings are, on average, much bigger than ever before - especially professional athletes involved in Hatcherism (i.e. weightlifting) - and Bettman added a fourth (i.e. useless) official to the fray to crowd it further.

If you watch the Olympics when overseas with the NHL personnel it doesn't really change a whole lot. They still bring their tactics to maintain the middle of the ice over with them. There's more room to the outside but teams are still clamping down through the middle of the ice just like they do with the NA surface.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There's really no benefit to pressuring guys on the perimeter. There's too much space to work with. You're just asking to get beat if you do. The only thing I could see the bigger ice helping out is the powerplay, because powerplays on the big ice are pretty much sent entirely in the offensive zone due to all the space to work with.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Blue Jackets have won 14 in a row, Wild have won 12 in a row. And on Saturday they face each other.

Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad