Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: 2016/17 Playoffs Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
meh.
goaltending did not help Nashville, but its tough to win games when you dont score goals. shutout twice and held to one goal in another. that isnt good enough. Nashville's lack of top 6 forward depth caught up with them.

He just posted a .864SV% in the finals & was yanked three times all on the road. He had the better team playing in front of him that series too. Rinne was a key factor into why they lost that series.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Man I hope the Flyers can win a cup before I am back in diapers again...back to back would be sweeter. Hurts seein Pitt have all this suceess. Cut me a break...Lemieux and Jagr.....Crosby and Malkin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Man I hope the Flyers can win a cup before I am back in diapers again...back to back would be sweeter. Hurts seein Pitt have all this suceess. Cut me a break...Lemieux and Jagr.....Crosby and Malkin

Thats what shameless intentional tanking will do for you.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Damn that Jets logo never gets old. It will only be supplanted by constantly re-watching the draft video of the Flyers making their pick.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He just posted a .864SV% in the finals & was yanked three times. He had the better team playing in front of him that series too.

Rinne just like the other 3 goalies that the Pens faced were bad. call it puck luck or whatever. It was really unbelievable how bad opposing goalies were in these playoffs when the same goalie was great in the rest of the playoffs and regular season.
What was the opposing goalie save percentage for the entire playoffs? probably well under .900 we are talking elite, Vezina caliber goalies ******** the bed against that team. it is ridiculous.
Not sure about the better team in front of Rinne. All the injuries up front hurt the Preds at the end. That and it would of taken a lot for Rinne to match the type of goaltending Pittsburgh got with Murray.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Don't worry. Pens will be garbage in just a few years and won't luck into a generational player. Their franchise will be in the ****ter for a long time.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Oooooo this will be nice to watch again. Thank you.

Good old Dennis Patterson plays it pretty cool when he see's that Jets logo. Just a couple glances to double check the board to see if this is actually happening. :)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The team I was rooting for in the Finals has lost 9 straight years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rinne just like the other 3 goalies that the Pens faced were bad. call it puck luck or whatever. It was really unbelievable how bad opposing goalies were in these playoffs when the same goalie was great in the rest of the playoffs and regular season.
What was the opposing goalie save percentage for the entire playoffs? probably well under .900 we are talking elite, Vezina caliber goalies ******** the bed against that team. it is ridiculous.
Not sure about the better team in front of Rinne. All the injuries up front hurt the Preds at the end. That and it would of taken a lot for Rinne to match the type of goaltending Pittsburgh got with Murray.

Anderson was actually pretty good, really the main reason it went the distance that series. Bobrovsky, Holtby, & Rinne weren't good though. Rinne has always been overrated though. He's a media darling so he gets more hype than he deserves. He's got worst save percentage in high danger shots the past five years or so.

Even with the injuries they were still the better team this series. They carried most of the play throughout the series. Plus it's not like Pittsburgh wasn't banged up either.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Holtby being lackluster isn't because of the Pens either. He was rather ordinary against the Leafs too.

Can you imagine being a Caps fan? What are they even supposed to do at this point?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
you were rooting for the Devils,Bruins and Rangers in 12,13 and 14?

I knew someone would say this..

The answer is..I hate all 3 of those teams but I also didnt want to see LA win 1 let alone 2. I suppose the 2013 Final I actually preferred Chicago but was still holding a grudge against them for 2010. Those 3 years sucked for me as a fan lol.

I probably should have worded it this way.."A team I would like to see win hasnt won in 9 years."

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Anderson was actually pretty good, really the main reason it went the distance that series. Bobrovsky, Holtby, & Rinne weren't good though. Rinne has always been overrated though. He's a media darling so he gets more hype than he deserves. He's got worst save percentage in high danger shots the past five years or so.

Even with the injuries they were still the better team this series. They carried most of the play throughout the series. Plus it's not like Pittsburgh wasn't banged up either.

I forgot Anderson was good for 6 of the games anyway.
Well it was the story of their run. CBJ and Washington also carried play for good portions of their series too. But goaltending was the difference.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Holtby being lackluster isn't because of the Pens either. He was rather ordinary against the Leafs too.

Can you imagine being a Caps fan? What are they even supposed to do at this point?

They need to somehow retool on the fly. No idea how they can do it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

They drafted Ilya Samsonov in the first round in 2015. He's probably the top goalie prospect in the league. He's been a regular in the KHL the past two years posting good numbers for a junior aged goalie & his contract is up after next year. He should probably sign after that & come in possibly as the backup there.

I'd imagine part of the reason they drafted him & where they did is so they're not forced into marrying Holtby long term. His current contract ends in the summer of 2020.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I knew someone would say this..

The answer is..I hate all 3 of those teams but I also didnt want to see LA win 1 let alone 2. I suppose the 2013 Final I actually preferred Chicago but was still holding a grudge against them for 2010. Those 3 years sucked for me as a fan lol.

I probably should have worded it this way.."A team I would like to see win hasnt won in 9 years."

LA didnt bother me. and not because of the Philly connection. Used to go to a lot of Monarchs games. Was happy for kids to lift the Cup. Actually the Hawks beating the Bruins was the lesser of 2 evils for me considering where I live. Its bad enough I have to listen to Patriot fans all the time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
it is sort of similar to the Flyers having great teams in the 90s and into the early 2000's and always losing to the Devils and seeing them win Cup after Cup.

True..but at least those Flyers teams made it past the 2nd round regularly lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad