News Article: Misc. Oilers News/Info

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited about an Oilers game than I was for the game where Dave Brown ‘killed’ Stu Grimson.

For those too young or who don’t remember, the Oilers and Flames played two games less than a week apart. Brown and Grimson fought in the first game. It wasn’t much of a fight, more of a wrestling match, but Grimson probably won. The next day it was all over the papers that Grimson had destroyed Brown. There was even a picture of Brown with his face all cut up. Grimson was the new heavy weight champion. What wasn’t mentioned in any of the articles was that the Oilers had played Chicago (think it was them) the night before and Brown had taken a puck in the face and that was the reason it was all cut up. The fight was so misrepresented and with Brown being the butt of jokes for days leading up to the rematch, Oiler fans were giddy with anticipation of what Brown was going to do to him. He destroyed him in one of the most one sided fights we’ve ever seen.

One of the problems in the first fight for Brown was that Grimson grabbed the jersey around his throwing hand so Brown couldn’t get that hand free. Grimson also grabbed the shoulders of the jersey with the other plus he sort of jumped Brown, Brown wasn’t ready. Grimson premeditated the whole thing and Brown lost his balance as Grimson was more shoving him as he had firm hold of the jersey and then paraded around Cowshittown like he was the new heavyweight champion.

So the Oilers Sparky I think it was went and saw Ken Lowe who was the equipment manager with the Eskimos at the time, who sewed the sleeves and shoulders of the jersey so tight like they do in football so nobody can grab onto a jersey.

The evening of the game after 2 people helped Brown put the jersey with the new skin tight shoulders and sleeves on they greased the arms and shoulders up with Vaseline including Browns face like a boxer does.

Spec wrote in his book Battle of Alberta that Brown already had that lifeless look in his eyes on the way down to Calgary and nobody said a word to him whatsoever. Even in the locker room and warm up Brown was silent. Everyone knew Brown was in the zone.

As fans everyone knew the rematch was going to be insane. Both here and in Cowshittown the media, the fans and the players talked about it and it was built up like the Thrilla in Manila. I’ve never seen anything like it until last year when Turtle and Kassian had their fight in Edmonton.

And then Brown just absolutely destroyed Grimson, damn near killed him. Grimson tried to get ahold of the jersey again but couldn’t. Brown then started up the lawn mower. Broken orbital bone and Grimson never was seen again the rest of the year.

Watch how Grimson can’t grab hold and watch past the 1:00 mark. The banter between Tim Hunter and Dave Brown on the benches is hilarious, back in the day before the 7 second delay or mute buttons between the benches. This went out live and I think we all pissed ourselves laughing. Hunter figured out what Brown did and Browns comeback is priceless.

Sigh....those were the days.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I could never put Laraque higher than third on the list (and would probably rank him fourth behind McSorely), not his fault but the game had already started to change by the time he arrived. Staged fights were already on the way out and he wasn’t called upon to do his thing as often as the guys before him. Would have been something to see though if he’d have played 10-15 years earlier.

He was too nice a guy on the ice. Back in the day they did this for keeps.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Brown vs. Grimson rematch is described in The Battle of Alberta book by Mark Spector.

Grimson: "...I remember as I was down on the ice, taking my right hand and wiping under my right eye, because I thought surely there has got to be a cut under there. Then I felt this really distinct impression under my right eye. I thought, 'I've never felt anything like that before. That's kind of peculiar.' Then I skated over to the penalty box, we served our majors.

"But the longer I sat there, the heavier my head got. And this really dull, throbbing sense of pain started to become pretty significant.

"I had broken my cheekbone and fractured my orbital in three different places. I had to have reconstructive surgery to square it all away."

The Battle would not endure much further into the 1990s, and that night a decade of tough hockey had climaxed with a fight that truly scared everyone in attendance. It was, perhaps, time to take a step back.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Brown vs. Grimson rematch is described in The Battle of Alberta book by Mark Spector.

Grimson: "...I remember as I was down on the ice, taking my right hand and wiping under my right eye, because I thought surely there has got to be a cut under there. Then I felt this really distinct impression under my right eye. I thought, 'I've never felt anything like that before. That's kind of peculiar.' Then I skated over to the penalty box, we served our majors.

"But the longer I sat there, the heavier my head got. And this really dull, throbbing sense of pain started to become pretty significant.

"I had broken my cheekbone and fractured my orbital in three different places. I had to have reconstructive surgery to square it all away."

The Battle would not endure much further into the 1990s, and that night a decade of tough hockey had climaxed with a fight that truly scared everyone in attendance. It was, perhaps, time to take a step back.

A must have book for the Oiler fan. Yea when it came out how badly Grimson’s face got caved in everyone realized someone probably was going to get killed before too long.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
All Time Face Punchers:

1. Dave Brown - size and devastating puncher. Left hander threw bombs that hurt people. All NHL all time tough guy list.

2. Georges Laraque - size and speed, Big Georges when the spirit moved him was the toughest guy in the league for years.

3. Dave Semenko - legend who fought the wars on and for the Dynasty Boys. He knew how to throw the hammer toss. Did the job for a very long time most of which he was the league heavyweight champion.

4. Steve MacIntyre - one dimensional but size and willingness cut a wide swath through pro leagues before brief nuclear deterrent days on the Oil. Scary tough.

5. Kevin McClelland - volume thrower who tossed 'em with a willing smile on his face.

Well Mcclelland needs to be before mac!
Only because he was a great grinder and heart player also and who forgets the only goal in the final 1984.

Mac a super heavy weighter in another era, and he wasnt a hockeyplayer either.

Every fighter who cant play the game is a ignore from me!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kevin McClelland should be on this list ahead of Steve McIntyre. Steve could barely f***ing skate and played 74 games over 3 seasons for an embarrassment of a set of Oiler teams.
I think it's mainly just how tough the guy was. I agree though, helluva nice guy but the first time I saw him was pre-season when he was on Florida. I told whoever I was with that he was the worse player I had ever saw. Not long after we got him on waivers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I thought Bucky would be far and away the leader in taking punches to the face.
I've told this before, but I use to see Bucky, Simpson, Lamb, Lowe among others every year at K-Days. Not always those guys, but Bucky was always there. Anway every year the guy had a black eye. I always found it funny and began wondering if he just had a permanent black eye or just liked to scrap all the time

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I won’t lie. I got pretty excited when he was beating up Calgary Flames.

Did you ever get those Hockey Fights VHS tapes? I used to subscribe and you’d get a tape every month of about an hour of fights. Of course way way way before the inter-web and U Tube but we used to watch those drunk as hell after HNIC finished on Saturday nights. Had a ton of those tapes.
I spent many nights just watching fights on that website online. A couple drinks and 8 hours later I think I could do it too

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I've told this before, but I use to see Bucky, Simpson, Lamb, Lowe among others every year at K-Days. Not always those guys, but Bucky was always there. Anway every year the guy had a black eye. I always found it funny and began wondering if he just had a permanent black eye or just liked to scrap all the time
That was the joke back then. Everybody I knew that saw Buchberger in public never saw him without a black eye.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
My vote is Brown ... his fight vs. Kyte demonstrates how scary he could be ... talk about fighting to hurt.

I love the BofA.

I remember that scrap. Kyte was an idiot and decided to keep chucking while on the ground so Brown started the lawn mower.

This was the scrap that the term was invented by Rod Phillips I think, I didn’t hear the call though because I was at this game as it was a home game. The home games vs the Flames were nuts as a fan in person because you knew things would always blow up.

Reactions: rboomercat90

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The original Honey Badger - Kevin McClelland.

Vs Tim Hunter with bonus Semenko fight

vs Bob Probert

Vs the biggest loser piece of shit Glen Cochrane

all these guys had a few inches and at least 20 lbs on McClelland and he always held his own and gave as good as he got, was as tough as they made ‘em and he could play the game unlike Tim Hunter and Glen Cochrane. Probert knew he was in for a scrap in this one too.

Miss Battlin’ Bob.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilers in NS

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Dave Brown is one guy I always feared would kill someone.

No kidding hey. His eyes would just go dead lifeless. Him and Probert were maybe the two most likely to send someone to the morgue. Chris Simon used to go that way too.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Well Mcclelland needs to be before mac!
Only because he was a great grinder and heart player also and who forgets the only goal in the final 1984.

Mac a super heavy weighter in another era, and he wasnt a hockeyplayer either.

Every fighter who cant play the game is a ignore from me!

Fair points. McClelland was a heart and soul guy who would fight anyone - and could play. Really good character player. But pure fighter and toughness MacIntyre was like league elite toughness with frankly a dangerous knockout punch as displayed in the BOA Ivanans fight.I'd take McClelland the player any day but this list is best fighters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad