Misc. NHL Talk 2017/18 Regular Season: Chapter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Kings needed to give the body a break and let cake baker take over as coach. They are gonna be a handful. I was bugging my bro asking him why it looks so easy when the leafs game started how the kings just pounded them into the ground then naturally let up. He gets so pissed LOL.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'm legitimately tempted to place every single Leafs fan on the main board on my ignore list, which is still empty after a month on the site.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Kings needed to give the body a break and let cake baker take over as coach. They are gonna be a handful. I was bugging my bro asking him why it looks so easy when the leafs game started how the kings just pounded them into the ground then naturally let up. He gets so pissed LOL.

Does your brother have an HF account?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I hate the f***in leafs and I don't know how he went leafs when my dad was a flyers fan from the get go. I took the dark side and were gonna be great again soon. Ballzy win last night in St Louis but we need to be more aggressive.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I hate the ****in leafs and I don't know how he went leafs when my dad was a flyers fan from the get go. I took the dark side and were gonna be great again soon. Ballzy win last night in St Louis but we need to be more aggressive.
Did you enjoy Schenn's game?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not surprising. He had a 6 point game last night. They were talking about it on the Blues broadcast.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Don't care about him anymore but he plays a game that we need and ia away better than most of our players. Could have made that bad trade this year. I'm a Flyers fan all the way.

I always viewed the Schenn deal as a trade that made our window further away, but possibly longer in the end.

Reactions: Rebels57

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
A forward lineup of
Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Weal-Filpulla-Simmonds
Schenn-Patrick-Konecny
Leier-Laughton-Raffl

Would be much better than what we have now, swapping weal out when Lindblom is ready. Although it may be best that Schenn was traded so we dont need to worry about paying him when all the young guns are looking for raises. Better to get 2 picks for him now than to lose him for nothing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Horrible and we saw it last night. He had a good game. Hexy better watch himself soon.

Schenn is what he is, a decent but not great ES forward who's a good PP scorer.
He's had hot stretches, but I don't buy into him as a #2 center in the long-run.
Right now he's on a SSS hot streak, but regression to the mean should be expected.
He hits, but he's not a great possession guy or a great defender.

He averaged 13-19 ES over four years with the Flyers and there was no upward trend.
So I expect him to be a 30-40 ES scorer in St Louis, with another 20 or so points on the PP.
Which is a good solid forward, and why we got 2 1st rd picks for him.

If Hextall saw him as a core player, he'd have never made that trade.
I think he saw Schenn as the 3rd line RW once Konency grew up, and fighting for that spot in two years with Allison or Bunnyman. So he took what he could get now, knowing he was adding Patrick and Lindblom (at some point this year) and Vorobyev by next season, all who are full-sized forwards.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Schenn is what he is, a decent but not great ES forward who's a good PP scorer.
He's had hot stretches, but I don't buy into him as a #2 center in the long-run.
Right now he's on a SSS hot streak, but regression to the mean should be expected.
He hits, but he's not a great possession guy or a great defender.

He averaged 13-19 ES over four years with the Flyers and there was no upward trend.
So I expect him to be a 30-40 ES scorer in St Louis, with another 20 or so points on the PP.
Which is a good solid forward, and why we got 2 1st rd picks for him.

If Hextall saw him as a core player, he'd have never made that trade.
I think he saw Schenn as the 3rd line RW once Konency grew up, and fighting for that spot in two years with Allison or Bunnyman. So he took what he could get now, knowing he was adding Patrick and Lindblom (at some point this year) and Vorobyev by next season, all who are full-sized forwards.
Took nothing and made the team worse and softer. If Schenn is on the top 2 lines right now we are better and it showed last night.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I always viewed the Schenn deal as a trade that made our window further away, but possibly longer in the end.

The St.Louis D is better than anything Schenn's played with in his career though.

He wasnt gonna have a major impact on this team competing. We were a treadmill team with him and we're still a treadmill team without him.

If Frost + the other first turn into legit core pieces then the deal was more than worth it.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I'm legitimately tempted to place every single Leafs fan on the main board on my ignore list, which is still empty after a month on the site.

they are an annoying bunch aren't they? it's probably the first time in 50 years they've been relevant so i guess their annoying exuberance is to be expected.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The St.Louis D is better than anything Schenn's played with in his career though.

He wasnt gonna have a major impact on this team competing. We were a treadmill team with him and we're still a treadmill team without him.

If Frost + the other first turn into legit core pieces then the deal was more than worth it.
G and the core are getting younger though.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
G and the core are getting younger though.

I assume you meant to say aren't. I agree with you.
I've said it since the summer we have solid vets that can still handle business.
I love the D and when healthy between Provy, Sanheim, and Ghost they'll be elite within the next two years.
I'm not as high on our young forwards as others are. I dont believe Patrick will be a franchise quality horse that can carry the offensive load.
Maybe he'll be like Couts and put up numbers with elite wingers but I dont like leaning the future on that proposition.
The best chance to compete with this core imo is to combine the young forwards and D with the vets while the vets are still top line guys and the young guys are still cheap.
It's why I dont like holding back youth for treadmill tier guys like Manning, Amac, etc.
We've drafted well. We should see what we have. It might surprise us.
All this is a moot point though since Hak will throw a monkey wrench into any truly competent team-building strategies

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I assume you meant to say aren't. I agree with you.
I've said it since the summer we have solid vets that can still handle business.
I love the D and when healthy between Provy, Sanheim, and Ghost they'll be elite within the next two years.
I'm not as high on our young forwards as others are. I dont believe Patrick will be a franchise quality horse that can carry the offensive load.
Maybe he'll be like Couts and put up numbers with elite wingers but I dont like leaning the future on that proposition.
The best chance to compete with this core imo is to combine the young forwards and D with the vets while the vets are still top line guys and the young guys are still cheap.
It's why I dont like holding back youth for treadmill tier guys like Manning, Amac, etc.
We've drafted well. We should see what we have. It might surprise us.
All this is a moot point though since Hak will throw a monkey wrench into any truly competent team-building strategies
Ya the young forwards aren't anything special and the young D are IMO 3 or 4 years away from being Stanley cup caliber. Don't think G or V or Simmonds will be around though

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Delaying the window doesn't really make much sense when some of our most important players approaching 30. Hextall needs to build a contender now. It's time to build a team, not a prospect pool.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers have a bunch of forward prospects, and they need to find room in the top 9 for some of them in the next couple of years. These are just the ones who will be 20 or older a year from now. I would expect Lindblom and Vecchione to be on the Flyers by the start of the 18-19 season at the latest.

Vecchione (25)
Goulbourne** (24)
Martel** (23)
Fazleev (22)
NAK (22)
Lindblom (22)
Marody* (21)
Vorobyev (21)
Laczynski* (21)
Kase* (21)
Allison* (21)
Twarynski* (20)
Salinitri* (20)
Laberge (20)
Bunnaman (20)
Rubtsov (20)

* currently unsigned
** RFA

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only players approaching 30 are Giroux and Simmonds, and Simmonds may be traded.
Voracek is a couple years younger than Giroux, but also has the size and speed to last longer if he develops other skills (like a decent wrist shot).
Couts is 25, Patrick 19, Provorov 20, Sanheim 21, Konency 20, Ghost is 24, so what other "Core" players are aging?
And the Flyers, starting next year, will have a long list of prospects pushing for jobs.

The window should be wide open in a couple years

Possible 2019-20 team with in-season ages ()
Giroux (32) - Couts (27) - Voracek (30)
Lindblom (23) - Patrick (21) - Konecny (23)
Rubtsov (21) - Vorobyev (23) - Bunnaman (22)
NAK (23) - Laughton (25) - MV (27)
Leier (26), Weal (28), Fazleev (24), Martel (25)

Provorov (23) - Ghost (27)
Sanheim (24) - Gudas (29)
Morin (24) - Myers (23)
Hagg (25) - Friedman (24)

Hart (21), Sandstrom (23),

LHV
Ratcliffe (21) - Frost (20) - Allison (22),
Laczynski (22) - Lykesell (20) - Laberge (22)
Kase (23) - Salinistri (21) - Marody (23)
Sushko (21)

Hogberg (21) -
Bernhardt (22)

Ustimenko (21) - Tomek (21)

Plus whatever we get back in a Simmonds trade.
If we keep Simmonds, we'll have all of THREE 30+ year old players on the roster in two years.
This doesn't include the players we draft this year (10 picks).
Hextall will have the cap room, draft picks and prospects to trade FOR anyone he deems necessary.

Last edited:

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
The Flyers have a bunch of forward prospects, and they need to find room in the top 9 for some of them in the next couple of years. These are just the ones who will be 20 or older a year from now. I would expect Lindblom and Vecchione to be on the Flyers by the start of the 18-19 season at the latest.

Vecchione (25)
Goulbourne** (24)
Martel** (23)
Fazleev (22)
NAK (22)
Lindblom (22)
Marody* (21)
Vorobyev (21)
Laczynski* (21)
Kase* (21)
Allison* (21)
Twarynski* (20)
Salinitri* (20)
Laberge (20)
Bunnaman (20)
Rubtsov (20)

* currently unsigned
** RFA
The real question who are the difference makers and who are the JAGs. There are a lot of bottom 6 choices there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad