News Article: Mirtle: It’s time to ask some tough questions about these Maple Leafs

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yup.

Only way he isn't on our cap next season is if he agrees to go on LTIR (At 39 turning 40, and 21 seasons playing in the NHL, I'm sure there's something the Leafs doctor can say prevents him from playing, chronic sore back or something :laugh: ) or if San Jose loses Karlsson, has extra cap room, and decides to bring him in for another year, and I think even if they lose Karlsson, which I doubt happens to begin with, I doubt they would bring Marleau in.

He can only be bought out buy another team during the first buyout period, which is before his bonus is paid, so unless there is a team willing to pay 4.5M to get a 6.25M cap hit for the year after the buyout, that isn't an option.

So to me, he's either on the Island, or on the cap.
We can also trade him or his cap after July 1st. He retires and we trade his cap hit to Ottawa for a pick or prospect. They get to save 5m in salary they will have to pay to reach the cap floor.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The thing that bothers me about Marleau is that he seems to be the only player on the roster that's allowed to dictate where and how he plays. With Gauthier out, we could run a dangerous 4th line along the lines of Petan-Marleau-Ennis/Brown, but Marleau doesn't like playing center and no one ever calls him out for that. We're paying him good money, he should play wherever he's needed without a word. It's not like he's productive on the wing to argue that we're better off with him there.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The thing that bothers me about Marleau is that he seems to be the only player on the roster that's allowed to dictate where and how he plays. With Gauthier out, we could run a dangerous 4th line along the lines of Petan-Marleau-Ennis/Brown, but Marleau doesn't like playing center and no one ever calls him out for that. We're paying him good money, he should play wherever he's needed without a word. It's not like he's productive on the wing to argue that we're better off with him there.
Lol, maybe he's taken them hostage.
"Look, I'll retire on July 1st, as per the deal, but you guys better not f*** with me this season".

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Funny thing about Marleaus contract is that it would have worked out better for the leafs if Lou just gave him 8.5x2, as opposed to the 3 year deal with the funny business. Leafs had ample cap space to work with last season and this season.
Yeah but imagine the uproar from media and fans that it would have received. I knew on that deadline day they could do anything for 2 years because it wouldn't effect us too badly but a 8.5x2 contract would have been a bit much.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
so maybe before you do something drastic with your coach, you figure out why your players can't do basic things, that isn't conducive for them being "held back."

oh i don't know. let's start with the team thinking the game starts in the middle of the second period? that's on them, not coaching. or the fact that while they can be #1 in faceoffs in one end of the zone, they can't do anything on the other end? or why they can't be relentless and win more 50/50 battles, or why they make lazy plays.

that is not a result of being held back and I don't think changing the coach will change that.
It's definitely on coaching to get players prepared to start games. Not only in terms of motivation, but tactically. Babcock himself has admitted it several times. every team loses defensive draws, or 50/50 battles, or make lazy plays. Toronto is 2nd in faceoffs, so I don't see why you'd criticize them for not winning enough

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Marleau voluntarily decides to retire after this season, we should dedicate a day as a provincial holiday in his honour.

He will. He gets paid 3m Jul 1st and is owed 1.25m the rest of the way. He takes the pay, is traded back to SJ plays 1 game and retires, watch.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He will. He gets paid 3m Jul 1st and is owed 1.25m the rest of the way. He takes the pay, is traded back to SJ plays 1 game and retires, watch.

We can hope, but the guy’s still healthy enough to play (though obviously he’s not what he used to be). I’m skeptical he’s just going to want to agree to leave the Leafs, though it would be a simple solution to the cap issues

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We can hope, but the guy’s still healthy enough to play (though obviously he’s not what he used to be). I’m skeptical he’s just going to want to agree to leave the Leafs, though it would be a simple solution to the cap issues

We can force him into retirement. Would you run around the NHL in the press box for a year for 1.25m? The guys old and tired and rich. 1.25 vs time with kids for him is silly. Remember that 3m is his if he plays or not.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
so maybe before you do something drastic with your coach, you figure out why your players can't do basic things, that isn't conducive for them being "held back."

oh i don't know. let's start with the team thinking the game starts in the middle of the second period? that's on them, not coaching. or the fact that while they can be #1 in faceoffs in one end of the zone, they can't do anything on the other end? or why they can't be relentless and win more 50/50 battles, or why they make lazy plays.

that is not a result of being held back and I don't think changing the coach will change that.
But that’s also on the coach though...I usually like to use stats or try and stay as objective as possible when making posts, but it’s no secret that hockey coaches have short shelf-lives. It’s why historically, “hard-ass” guys like Torts and Hitch come in and do really well right away, because people buy into what they teach, but slowly but surely lose the room over time. There’s only so many times the players can hear a coaches message before they start tuning him out, and it happens to every single coach in the league. And Babs is known to also be one of those hard-ass guys.

Maybe that’s on the players, but it’s easier to change a coach every 3-5 years than it is to change a team. I don’t think it’s Babcock’s fault or the players fault, it just is what it is.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Maybe, but you can't do anything with your core players until you change the coach first. Maybe they are flawed, or maybe they are being held back
that's a lot of maybe's, personally I don't think appeasing the young guns and firing the coach is the right move in the long or short term. Players need to man up, hate the coach? Good, win in spite of him, don't lose because of him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We can force him into retirement. Would you run around the NHL in the press box for a year for 1.25m? The guys old and tired and rich. 1.25 vs time with kids for him is silly. Remember that 3m is his if he plays or not.

The Leafs can definitely incentivize him to agree to a trade (ie by not dressing him), though would need to wait and see if the front office would be willing to do that if push came to shove

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

exactly what's going on, problem's with the players.

Reactions: The Apologist

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
that's a lot of maybe's, personally I don't think appeasing the young guns and firing the coach is the right move in the long or short term. Players need to man up, hate the coach? Good, win in spite of him, don't lose because of him.
I don't think appeasing the coach by stifling the young guns is right. At the end of the day, why even have Babcock if players don't gain anything positive from him? The players, coach, and management should be a cohesive team with a common goal and a shared vision on how to get there. it's pretty clear we aren't at that point

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Leafs can definitely incentivize him to agree to a trade (ie by not dressing him), though would need to wait and see if the front office would be willing to do that if push came to shove

Remember at the end of the day it's just 1.25m to a guy worth 50. I doubt I would put another year in for those peanuts with young kids. My next coaching job would be making my boys NHL players for a bit, then whatever else comes my way. TV etc

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
do you have a quote as per Marleau not wanting to play up the middle for the Leafs, because it's the first time I've heard this?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
do you have a quote as per Marleau not wanting to play up the middle for the Leafs, because it's the first time I've heard this?

I don't have the exact articles but there's been a decent amount of coverage on it. He signed with us with the understanding that he's a winger and only fills in at center for a game or two if someone gets injured or suspended. I'm assuming it's stamina-related due to his age.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think appeasing the coach by stifling the young guns is right. At the end of the day, why even have Babcock if players don't gain anything positive from him? The players, coach, and management should be a cohesive team with a common goal and a shared vision on how to get there. it's pretty clear we aren't at that point
guess Shanahan hired the wrong GM if he can't get along with the coach, the highest paid coach, the coach every team looking for a coach wanted, a coach who's know to be one of the best in the league?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
guess Shanahan hired the wrong GM if he can't get along with the coach, the highest paid coach, the coach every team looking for a coach wanted, a coach who's know to be one of the best in the league?
Maybe Shanny should go for hiring this bum to coach the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad