News Article: Mirtle: It’s time to ask some tough questions about these Maple Leafs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I said it the other day in a GDT, but for all the complaining about Brown on the third line, I think Marleau deserves to be off that line more.

Marleau is a great guy to have in the room, and I don't think he should be scratched, but our top 9 needs to be at full optimization because that is how we are built.

With Kappy back, he should be with Kadri and Moore, while Marleau and Brown get centered by Petan/Gauthier.

-------------------------------------

As for the defensive usage, it's hard to criticize right now. We haven't had a healthy defense since like, 2 weeks after the Muzzin trade. It's easy to say Hainsey and Zaitsev should play less, but right now the options are Marincin, Holl and Ozhiganov, and the 3rd pairing is arguably too much for them to handle.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
5256FE10-A05E-4594-99BC-CEE6349FA8E2.jpeg

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He was on TSN a couple weeks ago saying he thought overall Babcock had done a good job this season, with a couple caveats. It was ignored on here because it didn't fit the narrative.

yah. because we're supposed "hate babcock."

Babcock has his flaws. seriously. and i think there are a lot of things he needs at address (himself/as a coaching staff)
but the players aren't faultless here.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
If the leafs started flat out benching Marleau, and told him that's what they would continue doing next year, would it further entice him to retire after his July 1st signing bonus? Or would it piss him off and make it more likely for him to stick around?

I would just tell him if he is coming back next year that he should get to know the wait staff in the press box because he is going to get to spend a lot of time with them over the next 82 games.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Guys, Marleau ain't retiring, he came here to try to win a cup. Ironically, his contract will likely prevent him from accomplishing this goal.
It think it's a little too convenient that he can retire July 1st, and still make 17.5 of his 18.7 million dollar contract. It was clearly designed that way for a reason. All on the year that everybody knew Matthews and Marner would need new contracts.
I'm fully on board with the conspiracy theory now. I'll be shocked if Marleau doesn't announce his retirement on July 1st.

Reactions: Kurtz

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I make my living betting on stock indexes about 4-6 times a year.

Big calls,

I was the first to call out Schenn as Schitt.

Same for Babcock.

And I am mixed on Dubas.

You have to be an owl to do what I do.

But as an owl. I have to say, there is no way in heck, that this team does anything under Mike Babcock.

He makes stranger moves than any coach in NHL history imo.

I bet a house, that Dubas and Shanahan are wondering whether to let him go before the playoffs.

Problem is, Dubas, has made some great moves, Sandin, Ennis, but has made some incredible boffs as well.

Reminds me a bit of the days I spent up in the gondola with my best friend, Gordie Stellick.

I dunno. I think a tough coach a la Babcock but more creative could capture these millionaires imaginations.

I think Babcock has turned off Matthews a lot.

Seems to have Nylander going, and Mitch Marner has his fathers voice driving him for the next 50 years.

So we aren't that far off. Anything could happen.

I just think Shanahan should fire an assistant and hire Keefe.

Might right the ship. Soften the blow of blowing so much money on a goof like Babcock.

You have to understand on a daily basis, these hockey players killed themselves to get to this level and now they make as much money or more than most CEO's on the New York Stock Exchange.

Think about that.

They are turkeys making ceo money. Tough to control and get to buy in. You have to be a Barry Trotz to get to them.

Babcock, ain't that. I think the guy is a virtual SPOOF and GOOF. And I was the first on any hockey board to despise him. Too bad I couldn't have made a million shorting his volatility index.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
yah. because we're supposed "hate babcock."

Babcock has his flaws. seriously. and i think there are a lot of things he needs at address (himself/as a coaching staff)
but the players aren't faultless here.
Maybe, but you can't do anything with your core players until you change the coach first. Maybe they are flawed, or maybe they are being held back

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yes but his cap hit stays on the books for this year as he signed after he was 35.

Yup.

Only way he isn't on our cap next season is if he agrees to go on LTIR (At 39 turning 40, and 21 seasons playing in the NHL, I'm sure there's something the Leafs doctor can say prevents him from playing, chronic sore back or something :laugh: ) or if San Jose loses Karlsson, has extra cap room, and decides to bring him in for another year, and I think even if they lose Karlsson, which I doubt happens to begin with, I doubt they would bring Marleau in.

He can only be bought out buy another team during the first buyout period, which is before his bonus is paid, so unless there is a team willing to pay 4.5M to get a 6.25M cap hit for the year after the buyout, that isn't an option.

So to me, he's either on the Island, or on the cap.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
It think it's a little too convenient that he can retire July 1st, and still make 17.5 of his 18.7 million dollar contract. It was clearly designed that way for a reason. All on the year that everybody knew Matthews and Marner would need new contracts.
I'm fully on board with the conspiracy theory now. I'll be shocked if Marleau doesn't announce his retirement on July 1st.
I find it a little high in the sky that somebody turns away from 1.2 million dollars in any way but I guess he's in a different world than I am. Also, that would be some magical under the table deal that Lou pulled off if that's how it works out. Highly doubt he retires.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

The cap hit remains. They will have to find somebody that will take on that cap hit.

Reactions: Macallan18

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

As much as I want it to be collusion, I think it's the exact sort of contract one should expect a GM in his mid-70's to hand out.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Matthews seems to have written off Babcock, holy smokes Garrett the black hole number two seems to have, as well.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I find it a little high in the sky that somebody turns away from 1.2 million dollars in any way but I guess he's in a different world than I am. Also, that would be some magical under the table deal that Lou pulled off if that's how it works out. Highly doubt he retires.
He's made about $80 million over his career.
Don't look at it as Marleau losing $1.2 million for not playing his third year.
Look at it as he makes an extra $3 million at the end of his career on the July 1st signing bonus for not even doing anything. I believe it was designed this way. Essentially, Lou was able to pay Marleau $17.5 million over two seasons, with the aav only 6.2 as opposed to 8.75

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Theres no accountability for certain players. Marleau hasnt shown enough to be playing over certain guys on the team.

I get it, he's a gud pro and might be a HOF'er, but you have to make decisions in the name of WINNING.

Reactions: Cobra777

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Look at it as he makes an extra $3 million at the end of his career on the July 1st signing bonus for not even doing anything. I believe it was designed this way. Essentially, Lou was able to pay Marleau $17.5 million over two seasons, with the aav only 6.2 as opposed to 8.75

They also would have to have a deal lined up with some team to take the cap hit off our hands. There is 0 relief if he retires early.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I don't know. It just seems like that won't happen to me. If it does then next season becomes much easier than anybody expects but I won't believe it until I see it.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I don't know. It just seems like that won't happen to me. If it does then next season becomes much easier than anybody expects but I won't believe it until I see it.
I'm willing to bet Marleau has already told Dubas he's retiring July 1st, which gives Dubas a lot more wiggle room.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Maybe, but you can't do anything with your core players until you change the coach first. Maybe they are flawed, or maybe they are being held back

so maybe before you do something drastic with your coach, you figure out why your players can't do basic things, that isn't conducive for them being "held back."

oh i don't know. let's start with the team thinking the game starts in the middle of the second period? that's on them, not coaching. or the fact that while they can be #1 in faceoffs in one end of the zone, they can't do anything on the other end? or why they can't be relentless and win more 50/50 battles, or why they make lazy plays.

that is not a result of being held back and I don't think changing the coach will change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad