News Article: Mirtle: Auston Matthews is ready to make a bigger impact on a bigger stage

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You guys find the subscription price for The Athletic worth it? How's the quality of content? What do they offer that is unique as opposed to the big, mainstream networks (TSN, SportsNet)?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He's not wrong. Matthews is the exact type of player to thrive in the postseason. He did last year

yeah he could for sure, he could also keep feeling the effects of his shoulder and be underwhelming. Which isn't the end of the world he had a pretty heavy shoulder injury. id rather keep the pressure off him from fans and media

also my post was in partial jest like "oh ease up myrtle".

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
yeah he could for sure, he could also keep feeling the effects of his shoulder and be underwhelming. Which isn't the end of the world he had a pretty heavy shoulder injury. id rather keep the pressure off him from fans and media

also my post was in partial jest like "oh ease up myrtle".

eh. matthews isn't a type of player who needs to be babied due to pressure.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
You guys find the subscription price for The Athletic worth it? How's the quality of content? What do they offer that is unique as opposed to the big, mainstream networks (TSN, SportsNet)?
They go a lot more in depth than the mainstream networks if you're into that sort of thing.
They've got good writers for the different teams they cover but I really only follow for the Leaf stuff. Over a dozen writers just for the Leafs section it seems.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I've been a big fan of seeing how Matthews has handled adversity through his young career. His maturity is really, really impressive.

When he scored 4 goals in his NHL debut, all he could talk about afterwards was that he was on the ice when the Leafs lost the game.

When his goal was disallowed against Colorado, he immediately came out again and got one back, in spectacular fashion.

Every single time he's missed time with injury, robbed of opportunities to play and contribute, he's come back and been a difference-maker on the scoreboard.

This is a guy who refuses to be held back - When he faces pressure, he always seems to push back harder, and it's going to turn him into an absolute monster of a hockey player. I refuse to place limits on his potential. As long as he feels he can keep improving, I won't doubt him. He's a treat to watch.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
They go a lot more in depth than the mainstream networks if you're into that sort of thing.
They've got good writers for the different teams they cover but I really only follow for the Leaf stuff. Over a dozen writers just for the Leafs section it seems.
Thanks for the input. :clap:

Mirtle put out an article explaining why they charge the fee. Was a good read. A lot of true things he mentioned. Anyway, I went ahead and subscribed for the year - $4 and change is a great price per month for heavy Leafs and sports coverage.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I still think Matthews is the best player in the NHL right now and probably will be for the next decade.

He'll be one of the greatest NHL goal scorers of all time IMO.

Teams like the Lightning have a very good defense... but they will not be able to stop Matthews.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Um Matt Barzal says hi.
lololol barzal.

This award goes to Mackinnon and it's not even close.

I am hoping Matthews follows this same path and explodes into a 90+ point player next season.

Stream a Avs game off reddit and enjoy the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad