MIRACLE on ICE - Swiss Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

twelve

May 19, 2005
Matt MacInnis said:
I think this whole Olympic tournament has been fantastic for international hockey. While I always like to see Canada win, the fact that non-traditional hockey powers are winning big games against favoured nations is good for the sport. This will create more interest in countries like Switzerland, Germany, etc and in the end will be better for the game.

I think this is great.

Actually, interest in Switzerland is high.

I'm really glad the team pulled it off.

Suisse managed to hinder Canada from getting into the slot, so it didn't get super hot in front of Gerber, and Gerbs just held off everything that came his way. And for once in this tournament, the Suisse PP was okay.

King of Kelvington

Aug 3, 2002
knight44 said:
The Swiss will medal this year, but no one knows which medal it will be. They play great as a team, no one knew that they can hit, but they can. Canada under estimated the Swiss and they lost, the canadian fans just have to suck in their ego's and accept this loss. Gerber robbed this game for the swiss, plus the D wouldnt allow any rebounds, so dont tell me the swiss are all golatending because their D is playing great. Their forwards dont get alot of shots, but on good chances the puck always find the back of the net. The Swiss will win tomorrow agianst Germany easily Abby will likley get a shutout if he keeps up his amazing play!

All i got to say is im proud to have been born in Swizterland!

GO SWISS GO
GO SWISS GO
GO SWISS GO
GO SWISS GO

Before you go talkin smack predicting medals, you better wait until the swiss win a game of real importance. :teach:

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Two big wins back to back, and pretty much assured of moving on to the quarterfinals? Those aren't meaningless victories.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Well, good for the Swiss, but all this game does is emphasize the fact that in one game anything can happen, especially with a hot goalie.

Sometimes the coin flip lands the other way, no matter how weighted it is on one side. It was gonna happen eventually, and better that it happen in the round robin than later on.

Canada played pretty well, and the vast majority of those times they'll win those games.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
WCJr said:
The anouncer on CBC was saying this too and i have to disagree, while the swiss beating canda and the cze was a couple of good games, doing it in the medal rounds is where it counts...this is really a meaningless victory...now if the swiss win an important game against a top tier team and win a medal, baby swisses will be straping blades to there boots and skating to school on monday.

I dare you to tell the Swiss hockey community that these are meaningless victories. Swiss hockey has had a great year, two fantastic wins here, tying the heavily favoured USA team in the WJC (which likely ultimately cost the Americans the tournament) is going to have a significant impact on the way hockey is perceived. Also, it's not just about strapping skates to babies, it's about the funding that the junior programs get, the amount of money the government puts into infrastructure for rinks and training facilities. This tournament is far from meaningless to the Swiss.

King of Kelvington

Aug 3, 2002
Matt MacInnis said:
I dare you to tell the Swiss hockey community that these are meaningless victories. Swiss hockey has had a great year, two fantastic wins here, tying the heavily favoured USA team in the WJC (which likely ultimately cost the Americans the tournament) is going to have a significant impact on the way hockey is perceived. Also, it's not just about strapping skates to babies, it's about the funding that the junior programs get, the amount of money the government puts into infrastructure for rinks and training facilities. This tournament is far from meaningless to the Swiss.

I definitly wouldnt call it a miracle on ice...

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
WCJr said:
Before you go talkin smack predicting medals, you better wait until the swiss win a game of real importance. :teach:

Dude if your a canadian Fan, you just prove my point that canadian fans are sore losers. Just accept you guys got beat by a team that you guys should have killed!. The Swiss beat you and the way they are playing right now they will medal!

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
WCJr said:
Insert 'your name' here.

Grow up, i suspect your in this thread because canada lost and not because the swiss won. :shakehead

Not really. I root for the USA 1st, and Canada 2nd, so your point is moot. I'm here because it was Miracle type victory, and it's nice to see some cocky Canadian fans eat their words, like it was nice to see cocky US fans silent at the WJC.

At least American fans accept that our team likely will not medal this year, you are acting as if Canada didn't lose today. Accept it.

twelve

May 19, 2005
Matt MacInnis said:
I never said it wasn't. I said that it would create MORE interest.

Sorry, it's just that you mentioned Switzerland and Germany in the same sentence, and there is a difference there. In Switzerland hockey is much more important than in Germany.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
knight44 said:
Dude if your a canadian Fan, you just prove my point that canadian fans are sore losers. Just accept you guys got beat by a team that you guys should have killed!. The Swiss beat you and the way they are playing right now they will medal!

dude, it's one game. Upsets happen, sure, but it's still only one game.

You're starting to sound like those Leafs fans who drive up and down Younge St. with a homemade stanley cup after a win over Columbus in November.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Don't you have to actually win the gold to call it a miracle like the USA did in salt lake city?? Relax, it was a great win by the suisse, but they have a long way to go if they want to win the gold.

ryanghg

Oct 29, 2005
Montreal
Agasthya said:
Oh, I'm fine with it because we played a pretty solid game and generated the chances but Gerber was just outstanding. But I don't think it makes sense to say that the Suisse played a great game though.
They scored 2 goals and shut down any chance that Canada had on the rebounds. They were 100% penalty killing including 5 on 3s.

The Swiss outskated the hell out of them and deserved the win. Canada taking it slow at the start screwed them over, seeing as they couldn't get one past Gerber before the end.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
The_Eck said:
Don't you have to actually win the gold to call it a miracle like the USA did in salt lake city?? Relax, it was a great win by the suisse, but they have a long way to go if they want to win the gold.

In 1980, it was a ragged bunch of college kids beating a legendary USSR team. This year it's not quite that extent, but it's still a country with very little hockey success beating the Homeland of hockey. It was a miracle that we beat the Russians.

King of Kelvington

Aug 3, 2002
rohan said:
Not really. I root for the USA 1st, and Canada 2nd, so your point is moot. I'm here because it was Miracle type victory, and it's nice to see some cocky Canadian fans eat their words, like it was nice to see cocky US fans silent at the WJC.

At least American fans accept that our team likely will not medal this year, you are acting as if Canada didn't lose today. Accept it.

Sounds like you dont like anyone? Besides who is eating anything?

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
WCJr said:
Winning against Canada and Czech aren't important? I thought seeding is important to place yourself in the quaterfinals.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
My 2 cents to the debate here having just finished watching the game:

The Swiss skating hard all shift long - they came to compete where aside from Sakic, Iginla and St Louis, I felt the Canadians didn't really bring it every shift. Gerber was phenomenal and the swiss played with a lot of heart. The talent gap is clearly huge and there's no way I'd take the Swiss in a best of 7 (not even best of 3), but Pronger, Lecavalier, Bertuzzi and Doan were all playing a selfish game out there with very bad penalties at the wrong times - Lecavalier doing way too much show boating and Bert just playing like an ahole. I missed the Thornton giveaway but otherwise he made some stellar set up plays but he had mucho 1:1 opportunities coming off the half boards where he could have created much more havoc then he did.

Overall the Canadians played as a team of individuals where the Swiss simply played as a team.

I'm sure the nucks are gonna pick things up for Finland and Czech for if they don't, there're going to have an early flight outta Torino.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
ryanghg said:
They scored 2 goals and shut down any chance that Canada had on the rebounds. They were 100% penalty killing including 5 on 3s.

The Swiss outskated the hell out of them and deserved the win. Canada taking it slow at the start screwed them over, seeing as they couldn't get one past Gerber before the end.

Yeah, and one of those goals was on a 5-3 and the other was a fairly weak one I thought by Brodeur, it looked like he wasn't set for it.

Not to mention, Canada had two debatable goals called back against them, and outshot the Swiss by a more than 2-1 margin.

It's just one game, those things happen.

Zetterberg4Captain*

DanielBriere48 said:
Sore loser?I don't care how the Americans are doing,I think the olympics are pointless,but it's always nice to see the underdog win (and Canada lose)

SWITZERLAND :handclap:

LATVIA :handclap:

This game does'nt even matter so I dont really care. Canada will most likely make the medal rounds. It was all Gerber anyways.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I just have hard time understanding how Canada failed to create scoring opportunities from close range. Finland scored almost all their goals against switzerland from a very close range, and swiss did not seem to have ANY chance to stop them from finding openings. Canada should be the most physical team and is well known for winning the battles infront of both nets. Finland did not give Gerber a chance to shine because they scored on onetimers from 1 meter away. Whats wrong with Canada if they cant do the same?

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Great effort by the Swiss and congrats to them :handclap: . It's great for the sport. I think this Olympics has shown that it's anybody's game in international hockey now and nobody can be taken lightly. A strong defence and a goalie who's hot can steal a win from the best of them. I only wish Gerber didn't chose this particular game to stand on his head :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad