Confirmed with Link: Minor signings: Marchessault, Angelidis, Hart, Blunden, Paradis | Ashton to Europe

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Since we signed Hart does it mean he's leaving school a year early? Didn't think NCAA players could sign ELC's. Surprised he was signed already since he hasn't developed well the past 3 years but is a big body which we need.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I'm glad they retained Marchessault. I liked what he showed in his brief time here. He's a good depth player and an injury callup.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Since we signed Hart does it mean he's leaving school a year early? Didn't think NCAA players could sign ELC's. Surprised he was signed already since he hasn't developed well the past 3 years but is a big body which we need.

Yep. As soon as a college player signs a pro contract, they're officially done with the NCAA, so he's off to Syracuse now. You can sign college prospects to ELCs whenever you want, whether they play only 1 year or 4.

It will definitely be interesting to see how he does in the AHL. I never got to see him play, but his statistics weren't terrific for a 2nd round pick. I remember Murray talking at the draft about what a good goal scorer he was. Hopefully those low point/goal totals are a little misleading to how good he really is. Harvard did a great job with Killorns development and he was able to make a very smooth transition to the pro game, so I think Hart was in good hands, even if he only stayed 3 years. As BP has said on their site, this was probably Hart's choice to leave now.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Well, these signings feel a little backwards, but I guess thats what you expect for a guy like Hart, who is an entree level player. I loved what Marchessault brings to the table, and I could see him being a 4th liner now as a call up. he's a great guy to have on the Crunch, and the sort of player you need around. Hart, on the other hand, needs to prove himself. He can, but he's got a ways to develop still.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yep. As soon as a college player signs a pro contract, they're officially done with the NCAA, so he's off to Syracuse now. You can sign college prospects to ELCs whenever you want, whether they play only 1 year or 4.

It will definitely be interesting to see how he does in the AHL. I never got to see him play, but his statistics weren't terrific for a 2nd round pick. I remember Murray talking at the draft about what a good goal scorer he was. Hopefully those low point/goal totals are a little misleading to how good he really is. Harvard did a great job with Killorns development and he was able to make a very smooth transition to the pro game, so I think Hart was in good hands, even if he only stayed 3 years. As BP has said on their site, this was probably Hart's choice to leave now.

I thought they had to turn pro, sounds interesting that he did that. We usually don't ask anybody to leave especially a Harvard kid and one who hasn't progressed that well.

This means that besides Smith and Paradis maybe Blunden and Ashton will be gone too. We ate bringing in some size with Hart and physical play with Erne. Not to sure how Darcy is on the physical front as he's average size. The Crunch needed an overhaul a bit, the forwards were stagnate outside a few the past couple of years.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Re: Hart. BP's final rankings for 2014-15 had him finish second to last:

24.) RW Brian Hart, Harvard (ECAC)
Three years into his NCAA career with Harvard, we just haven't seen a ton of development in power forward Brian Hart. Hart's numbers have stayed steady in the 15-18 point range in each of those campaigns and there is little we've seen that leads us to believe he's prime for an explosion. The biggest red flag with Hart is subpar foot speed, and although he is a big boy at 6'3" and well over 210 lbs., he loses the puck along the wall far too easily for our taste. Barring a shocking turnaround in his game as a senior, we'd be surprised if he's extended a contract offer after this coming year.
http://boltprospects.com/content/2014-2015-final-prospect-rankings

Then again, you don't give up that quickly on a former 2nd round pick who is a 6'3, 210 lbs potential power forward. Let's see what he can do in SYR!

Chad's view on the signings:
[...] Yes, Hart is very good defensively and does a lot of the little things right. He also has good size at 6-3, 212 pounds. That size will be an asset in Syracuse this year. The Crunch didn't get any help from the Lightning in the draft as expected (and as what usually occurs), so perhaps the Lightning were looking for additional ways to add bodies to its AHL affiliate. [...]
Full article: http://boltprospects.com/content/lightning-sign-harvard-prospect-brian-hart-extend-marchessault

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I would've stayed and gotten that degree if I were Hart, but maybe things weren't looking good on that end either. Well, hate to speculate...

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Hart was given third line limited minutes. Probably Hart evaluated his growth as a player and said if I really want to make the NHL I need to develop correctly and I haven't been given a good chance in Harvard. Can't wait to see him and all the other prospects this week.

O'Donnell is another big body without a contract. Wonder what the organization thinks about him as he is another big body we can use down in Syracuse.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
We've also re-signed Blunden as well as made QO to several players:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Well with Barbs gone you bet your ass trading Carle in the off-season is not a part of the Yzerplan

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Well with Barbs gone you bet your ass trading Carle in the off-season is not a part of the Yzerplan

Don't say that. I mean if SFY's able to upgrade on the position he'll do it. The proposal has to be reasonable in his eyes though. Otherwise JedYzermind tricks will come into play.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Don't say that. I mean if SFY's able to upgrade on the position he'll do it. The proposal has to be reasonable in his eyes though. Otherwise JedYzermind tricks will come into play.

I bow before the Yzergod every morning before eating my cheerios. I just get an increasing feel they (coaching staff, management) don't hate that 3rd Carle-Sustr pairing as much as the fans do. With Barberio out, we're in theory set on the left side with Carle in 6th, Nesterov in 7th and Koekkoek a first callup.

In lots ways that makes sense but in others it's becoming really scary: If Carle is not moved in the off-season, they will never sit his $5.5M contract and destroy his trade value at the same time, unless being ok with a costly buy-out.

I'll always trust SFY more than my own opinion though, if he thinks Carle makes us better, so be it. Now I want to go home and rethink my life.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
heard ashton is skipping to shl no verification but wouldnt be a surprise to me

Where did you hear that? Honestly wouldn't surprise me either. Had two shots at the NHL with two different teams and still ended up in the NHL. More money over seas is probably preferable to knowing you'll be a bench warmer at best in the NHL.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I would've stayed and gotten that degree if I were Hart, but maybe things weren't looking good on that end either. Well, hate to speculate...

Hart was given third line limited minutes. Probably Hart evaluated his growth as a player and said if I really want to make the NHL I need to develop correctly and I haven't been given a good chance in Harvard. Can't wait to see him and all the other prospects this week.

O'Donnell is another big body without a contract. Wonder what the organization thinks about him as he is another big body we can use down in Syracuse.

Hoek, I'm confident you're aware so not intended for you per se... just quoted you for context.

Killorn went through similar situations there at Harvard as well, up till his Junior year. Killorn steadily had his ice time increased as his Jr season went along. I'm guessing that Hart didn't see that happening for him next season (held any promise) and unlike Killer, Hart would seem more Hockey career vs. life-after Hockey. Which is fine to me. And I'll say it again, there's nothing wrong with Hart's game other than he hit a wall this season. In a funk. Hopefully he can break through that in SYR.

I'm also not surprised they didn't sign O'Donnell yet. While I disagree that he's a "big body", his game really didn't progress to a level one would expect being in the UND program, especially under Hakstol. Not to mention a wee bit fragile.

If he goes unsigned, then maybe now that Hakstol is the Flyers bench boss he gets a look and try to propel his game with Lehigh Valley. If the Bolts do sign him (contract limit getting pretty close to max), then there's depth in the SYR cupboard.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hoek, I'm confident you're aware so not intended for you per se... just quoted you for context.

Killorn went through similar situations there at Harvard as well, up till his Junior year. Killorn steadily had his ice time increased as his Jr season went along. I'm guessing that Hart didn't see that happening for him next season (held any promise) and unlike Killer, Hart would seem more Hockey career vs. life-after Hockey. Which is fine to me. And I'll say it again, there's nothing wrong with Hart's game other than he hit a wall this season. In a funk. Hopefully he can break through that in SYR.

The average career length of an NHL player is what 200-300 games? if even? that's about 3-4 seasons before it's over, unless you go overseas or stay in the minors.

It's fine if you're a player who knows they can make a career out of it, I can't understand that decision if you're a fringe player who may not even make it into the league. Having options and a backup plan is always smarter. Seems like he jumped the gun to me, maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.

"[Cindy] would say that if she knew he would be Sidney Crosby and it's kind of written that he would be a star than great, go for it, but that's not written for Alex so we needed to make sure he had a backup plan and other options," Matt Killorn said. "I told him that if he was going to go to Harvard, you're not going to go there for one or two years, you're going to get your degree."

Killorn liked the idea of having other options because he has other interests. He is starting to get into the real estate business through investments. He has connected with other Harvard alumni in the Tampa area.

"When I was making that decision [to attend Harvard] I wasn't envisioning myself playing in the Stanley Cup Final with Steven Stamkos on my line," Killorn said. "Those are things that you hope happen, but you can't expect that. Not that I didn't have belief in myself, I thought I was going to play, but regardless if you have a good career or not, you're still going to be done by 35, 36 or 37. After that what do you do? I was pretty interested in doing some other things also."

Killorn and his parents seem like smart people.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
The average career length of an NHL player is what 200-300 games? if even? that's about 3-4 seasons before it's over, unless you go overseas or stay in the minors.

It's fine if you're a player who knows they can make a career out of it, I can't understand that decision if you're a fringe player who may not even make it into the league. Having options and a backup plan is always smarter. Seems like he jumped the gun to me, maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.

There was a time not too long ago where I was vehemently against seeing a player leaving college early for the pro's... regardless of their ability or prowess. Especially Harvard.

Guess I'm getting more sympathetic and soft in my old age

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Where did you hear that? Honestly wouldn't surprise me either. Had two shots at the NHL with two different teams and still ended up in the NHL. More money over seas is probably preferable to knowing you'll be a bench warmer at best in the NHL.

off of someone some facebook but was a retweet was unable to locate it but was news like last week

why said i cant verify or prove not prove

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Re: Ashton

You might be remembering this from the BoltProspects rankings:

22.) RW Carter Ashton, Syracuse (AHL)
The first boomerang I can recall in Bolt Prospects history, the former first rounder who was once moved for defensive juggernaut Keith Aulie was reacquired from the Toronto organization to help bolster Syracuse's offense. Unfortunately, Ashton put up less than half a point a game in the AHL after his acquisition and did not play his way into a discussion for a late season cup of coffee like we might have hoped in an organization lacking in power forward prospects. Now 24, it's probably fair to officially label Ashton a bust after a PED scandal and failed stints with the Lightning and Maple Leafs. It's a shame because, physically, he should be an NHLer. His size and strength are excellent and his north-south style seems tailor made for the pros. You'd suspect, though, that within the next year or two he might be shoving off for offers from Europe given the trajectory of his career. In fact, rumors place him possibly joining the Swedish Elitserien this coming year.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/inde...5c37488c42e9e164059fb617#incart_story_package
Syracuse Crunch forward Mike Blunden didn't experience nearly as much of the organization as he wanted to last season, but he saw enough to know he wanted to come back for more.

Blunden could have been an unrestricted free agent Wednesday, but instead decided to sign a one-year pact with the team on Monday.

Blunden, who missed most of the season with a knee injury, said he was impressed with the way both the Crunch and Lightning treated him.

"They've been unbelievable to me and my family,'' he said Monday. "They always told me straight up what's going on. I'm looking forward to coming back next year. I knew last year that I'd like to come back.''

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad