GDT: Minnows vs. Flames 6pm NBCSCA

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I agree for the most part, but we still had some pretty bad lapses where Jones cane up huge on grade A chances multiple times.
Those are gonna happen no matter what, but as long as the team is limiting those grade A chances instead of letting them keep happening, I think I'll be happy. But agreed on this point too, on the ones that we did let happen, Jones came up big.

Reactions: stator

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
At the end of a mediocre win, we should look to the bright side: Joakim Ryan played a solid number of minutes.

Reactions: Phu

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Lmao, that was for sure a DoG by Kane, but why was dumbass Tkachuk celebrating like he just scored?

It might have something to do with the puck going out of play into the netting (which he was pointing at), and him knowing it was Kane that shot it out and that if the refs got the call right it would have been a CGY powerplay.

But then again, I could be wrong.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Great job by Jones for a change, but I worry about how he'll hold up against the Preds next game.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The Minnows nickname worked and therefore sticks forever.

I think Karlsson is pressing big time and is getting frustrated. That would be my guess as to why he played so little. Deboer wanted him to relax, take a breath etc.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
The Minnows nickname worked and therefore sticks forever.

prof.jpg

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jones's best game of the season. I've been waiting for a game like this from him; hopefully, this is the start of a turn-around.

The Sharks's defense was, in general, awful. Too many high-danger chances.

For the first time in a while, it seems like the Sharks are not a lethal cycling team. They used to do really well cycling and dominating possession down low. Now, they seem more of a team that is a threat in transition.

It would be interesting to see what his numbers were, but I did not think Joakim Ryan had a good game. I can see why the coaching staff limits his minutes. He is a fantastic outlet passer but made some boneheaded defensive decisions and doesn't have any offensive game.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Wondering what the prime factor is for this being a really quiet GDT....here are the candidates:
  1. Sunday night at dinnertime -> posters focusing on family or personal lives
  2. First game after a long road trip -> posters at the game
  3. Reasonable win where Jones actually played well -> posters wanting some respite from dealing with mediocrity all season

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Wondering what the prime factor is for this being a really quiet GDT....here are the candidates:
  1. Sunday night at dinnertime -> posters focusing on family or personal lives
  2. First game after a long road trip -> posters at the game
  3. Reasonable win where Jones actually played well -> posters wanting some respite from dealing with mediocrity all season

Weekends never have busy GDTs, really.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Just finishing the game now. Jones was incredible this game. Kane & Donskoi might need to be a thing for the rest of the season. They just seem to click more often than not. EK65 is still struggling but at least he wasn't a multiple minus player for a change. Vlassic just looks worse by the day to me. Is Braun actually carrying him now? :eek: Still, nice to finally get a win like this. Hope they build on it.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Jones's best game of the season. I've been waiting for a game like this from him; hopefully, this is the start of a turn-around.

The Sharks's defense was, in general, awful. Too many high-danger chances.

For the first time in a while, it seems like the Sharks are not a lethal cycling team. They used to do really well cycling and dominating possession down low. Now, they seem more of a team that is a threat in transition.

It would be interesting to see what his numbers were, but I did not think Joakim Ryan had a good game. I can see why the coaching staff limits his minutes. He is a fantastic outlet passer but made some boneheaded defensive decisions and doesn't have any offensive game.

To be fair most of the best teams are transition teams as opposed to cycling right now. By product of what the Pens did a few years ago to the Sharks.

I would rather Ryan continue to play a decent amount to gain experience and incase there are injuries and they have to rely on him more.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Great job by Jones for a change, but I worry about how he'll hold up against the Preds next game.

I am certainly worried about tomorrows game. Not just because of Jones but because of the way the team has played off late. Last night against the Flames was certainly an improvement but we are still giving way too many chances. And while we beat the Preds last game it was mainly because they took their foot off the gas in the 3rd with a 2 goal lead in hand.

If Jones has a slightly off game and team plays D the way it has been off late, we will get destroyed. Honestly, at this point in time I have little to no faith in PDB. I expect us to make the playoffs but I don't think we go too far with PDB at the helm.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Still worried about the amount of odd man rushes and defensive breakdowns we’re giving up. That’ll bite us more times than not. Also, we finally figured out that EK up top and Burns at the top of the circle works, why on earth did they go away from it? If I’m Wilson I go down to the dressing room and have a little talk with the coaching staff. They need to give him PP time to get him going at the very least.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
I am certainly worried about tomorrows game. Not just because of Jones but because of the way the team has played off late. Last night against the Flames was certainly an improvement but we are still giving way too many chances. And while we beat the Preds last game it was mainly because they took their foot off the gas in the 3rd with a 2 goal lead in hand.

If Jones has a slightly off game and team plays D the way it has been off late, we will get destroyed. Honestly, at this point in time I have little to no faith in PDB. I expect us to make the playoffs but I don't think we go too far with PDB at the helm.
We have done fairly well against teams ahead of us in the standings.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Still worried about the amount of odd man rushes and defensive breakdowns we’re giving up. That’ll bite us more times than not. Also, we finally figured out that EK up top and Burns at the top of the circle works, why on earth did they go away from it? If I’m Wilson I go down to the dressing room and have a little talk with the coaching staff. They need to give him PP time to get him going at the very least.

If DW ends up talking to the coaching staff maybe he should say a few words about Melker too.

Seriously though, I agree with all of what you have said here. From what I have seen over the last few years of PDB, when things are not working he reverts back to things that have worked in the past. From trying Pavs-Jumbo for too long, sticking with Melker on the 4th line, running Vlasic-Braun, etc. Neither of these are working but they have in the past so they are 'proven'.

EK65 is a new variable in the equation and PDB has not utilized him correctly. The fact that EK65 has not played his best so far, has not helped the situation either because that basically makes PDB revert back to the known quantity again. My concern is exactly that, PDB's inability to make adjustments to the system as the players we have on our roster are getting better and faster. He is sticking to the same system/style that worked 3 years back with an entirely different set of players. Back then we had no EK65, Ryan. Meier and Labanc were just pups getting started. No Sorenson either.

This is a completely different team from 3 years back and yet, the system is still the same.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We have done fairly well against teams ahead of us in the standings.

Ok. Define fairly well. The 3 teams we have beat, that are ahead of us, are Preds, Flames and Wild. Preds and Wild by 1 goal and the Flames by 2 (EN). None of those wins have been convincing.

If you have confidence going up against the Preds tomorrow, thats awesome. I am far from convinced.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If DW ends up talking to the coaching staff maybe he should say a few words about Melker too.

Seriously though, I agree with all of what you have said here. From what I have seen over the last few years of PDB, when things are not working he reverts back to things that have worked in the past. From trying Pavs-Jumbo for too long, sticking with Melker on the 4th line, running Vlasic-Braun, etc. Neither of these are working but they have in the past so they are 'proven'.

EK65 is a new variable in the equation and PDB has not utilized him correctly. The fact that EK65 has not played his best so far, has not helped the situation either because that basically makes PDB revert back to the known quantity again. My concern is exactly that, PDB's inability to make adjustments to the system as the players we have on our roster are getting better and faster. He is sticking to the same system/style that worked 3 years back with an entirely different set of players. Back then we had no EK65, Ryan. Meier and Labanc were just pups getting started. No Sorenson either.

This is a completely different team from 3 years back and yet, the system is still the same.

Yep and the system is well scouted. I saw the flames cheating up high on the boards on the zone entry and even on the cycle low because they knew we’d kick it up high or ring it around the boards if pressured. By doing that, the flames allowed the sharks to create a few more chances down low and led to donskoi’s goal because we had the numbers. I also saw something I haven’t seen in a couple of years, the sharks had numbers and instead of peeling off high and looking for the trailing man, the puck carrier (Donskoi or Meier?) passed it to the two forwards crashing the net and lead to a very good chance. They need to keep doing that to have success and limit the odd man opportunities the other way but Pete sucks ass so he’ll probably scold the the person in the next team meeting and demote him to the 4th line for not passing to Vlasic for an unscreened point shot.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yep and the system is well scouted. I saw the flames cheating up high on the boards on the zone entry and even on the cycle low because they knew we’d kick it up high or ring it around the boards if pressured. By doing that, the flames allowed the sharks to create a few more chances down low and led to donskoi’s goal because we had the numbers. I also saw something I haven’t seen in a couple of years, the sharks had numbers and instead of peeling off high and looking for the trailing man, the puck carrier (Donskoi or Meier?) passed it to the two forwards crashing the net and lead to a very good chance. They need to keep doing that to have success and limit the odd man opportunities the other way but Pete sucks ass so he’ll probably scold the the person in the next team meeting and demote him to the 4th line for not passing to Vlasic for an unscreened point shot.
A lot of team have been doing that to us this year. Those unscreened point shots are such a waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad