GDT: Minnesota Wild vs. Minnesota Wild, Jan 16th 2013 @ 7pm on FSN/KFAN

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Dumba

Practically scored tonight and showed off his shot.
Did well on his 1-1 with Parise
Could have plowed Granlund but held up.

I see a great prospect that will continue to grow, very happy with the choice then and now

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He's 18 and I am almost positive his skating can be coached. I'd be way more concerned if we are talking about his hockey IQ and decision making.

I do agree with this- but skating is not one of those things that you can go from being a medium skater to an all star skater- it's too hard to change an entire motor complex like that. Instead, something like a 25% improvement in all movements should be a goal- focusing especially with backwards strides and moves if your a defenseman. Dumba is not going to be a starwert iron defense defenseman- we drafted him to rush the puck, hit, and shoot. He's already good at those things, let's just get him to be able to be decent playing defense.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I've never been in that camp yet, but I don't see the praise for him tonight either. I thought his skating concerns were clearly shown.

The offensive side is very visible. I didn't notice any defensive mistakes, although I wasn't watching too carefully. Skating probably left a little to be desired, but that might just end up being an imperfection that we can deal with if he can put in 8-12 goals a year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Granlund was surprisingly good in the faceoff circle...won most of his draws, even beating the older finn... Made some great passes when it looked like he was cornered. Needs more chemistry with Setoguchi.

Larsson was everywhere, this guy is not long for Houston, he's NHL ready.

Zucker looks much improved over late last season, he is also NHL ready.

Coyle was non-existent all game long.

Other than Gilbert, team white had no legit defensemen who could move the puck...as a result, Dumba moved from team red to team white in the middle of the 2nd period still wearing his red socks. It was a rough reminder where this team is coming from in it's recent past, forwards having to handle their own transition... It was such a disadvantage for them.

Backstrom struggled, but considering the defense in front of him...I can shrug it off a bit.

Harding was amazing, stopping late game pressure from both Zucker and Granlund in his crease.

Spurgeon excelled all game long. His breakouts are as good as ever, such a great decision maker.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Opinions have changed prematurely since he was drafted obviously. I've always been in the wait and see camp. He's got a lot of development ahead, he looked great tonight. I have been rooting for him since day 1 and will continue to support him.

Billy Mays Here*

I was never in the "trade him now" camp either. The only prospect I've been wanting to trade is Phillips.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
1. The only thing in mid-season form is Lapanta's hair.
2. Didn't like our 2nd line at all. I think it can benefit from a healthy doze of Zucker.
3. Zucker, Spurge, and Konopka were the best players on the ice for me.
4. Kaptain and Zach are going to give other teams fits with their forecheck.
5. I'm so excited for the season opener :hyper:

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
for me it was only that he didn't look as bad as the latest reports from Red Deer have been making him seen. People are going to panic if they see regression in a junior player given the organization's track record with first round picks. Less praise than a sigh of relief.
But if we are to be fair on the matter, this was simply a scrimmage. And our sample size is extremely small compared to what the fans get to see of him in the minors. And I say that as someone who is excited about the guy. Just guarded. Very good potential though, and we so desperately need that in a blueline prospect.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Went to the game and here is my take on a few things that stood out to me in a good and bad way.

Positives:
The Zucker, Larrson, Coyle line looked great with the little ice time they were given. Not anything special but definitely holding their own against tough competition a few shifts.

Spurgeon - His shots actually were making it to the net and he was rewarded. Also rushed the puck into the zone a few times with great success keeping possession and making things happen.

Bouchard was amazing. Most dynamic player on the ice all night without a doubt. He actually holds on to the puck and skates looking for plays and when they aren't he continues possession and makes something happen, when everyone else on the team looks to just dump it off to the other team.

Parise - Great forecheck and defensive play. Very opportunistic in that he will just jump on a little mistake and take the puck and make a play. Wasn't rewarded tonight but I can see how good he can be.

Dumba- Looked good, great shot and held his own defensively. Great skater imo, don't have any clue where this skating problems **** SOH is pedaling came from

Negatives:
Granlund's line doesn't work imo. Cullen just doesn't fit. I did like Granlund and Seto together though. Had a few chances that weren't capitalized on when looking for the pretty goal, need to just shoot it. Granlund was pretty underwhelming as well, nothing special making a lot of cute passes that wouldn't work on any NHL players as they didn't tonight.

Suter - He made a lot of bad passes right to opposing players. He also would rush the puck up on PP and just not really do anything with it. I wasn't impressed with his game.

Heatley - Looks slow and **** like usual.

Overall :I would say the scrimmage was pretty boring hockey. But then again it was a scrimmage. I really was impressed by Bouchard though, him and Brodziak are an awesome combo. I would actually like to switch the lines up quite a bit, but I will post that in the appropriate thread.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
The offensive side is very visible. I didn't notice any defensive mistakes, although I wasn't watching too carefully. Skating probably left a little to be desired, but that might just end up being an imperfection that we can deal with if he can put in 8-12 goals a year.

Every physical skill starts with skating. We can clearly see that Suter. The guy just glides all over the place, and that's where his elite overall skill level is founded. It's just one unofficial game, but it didn't clash with what we've been hearing about Dumba. He looked too much like a miniature Cam Barker--a pylon just floating around.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Every physical skill starts with skating. We can clearly see that Suter. The guy just glides all over the place, and that's where his elite overall skill level is founded. It's just one unofficial game, but it didn't clash with what we've been hearing about Dumba. He looked too much like a miniature Cam Barker--a pylon just floating around.

Look at that acceleration. KID CAN SKATE

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Went to the game and here is my take on a few things that stood out to me in a good and bad way.

Positives:
The Zucker, Larrson, Coyle line looked great with the little ice time they were given. Not anything special but definitely holding their own against tough competition a few shifts.

Spurgeon - His shots actually were making it to the net and he was rewarded. Also rushed the puck into the zone a few times with great success keeping possession and making things happen.

Bouchard was amazing. Most dynamic player on the ice all night without a doubt. He actually holds on to the puck and skates looking for plays and when they aren't he continues possession and makes something happen, when everyone else on the team looks to just dump it off to the other team.

Parise - Great forecheck and defensive play. Very opportunistic in that he will just jump on a little mistake and take the puck and make a play. Wasn't rewarded tonight but I can see how good he can be.

Negatives:
Granlund's line doesn't work imo. Cullen just doesn't fit. I did like Granlund and Seto together though. Had a few chances that weren't capitalized on when looking for the pretty goal, need to just shoot it. Granlund was pretty underwhelming as well, nothing special making a lot of cute passes that wouldn't work on any NHL players as they didn't tonight.

Suter - He made a lot of bad passes right to opposing players. He also would rush the puck up on PP and just not really do anything with it. I wasn't impressed with his game.

Heatley - Looks slow and **** like usual.

Overall :I would say the scrimmage was pretty boring hockey. But then again it was a scrimmage. I really was impressed by Bouchard though, him and Brodziak are an awesome combo. I would actually like to switch the lines up quite a bit, but I will post that in the appropriate thread.
Agreed. I think with the moves this past offseason (and the prospects nearly ready to go) that he's simply the odd man out. It'd be really nice to move him, and it's not because he sucks or is useless. It's like you said. He just doesn't fit anymore.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
My takes from the game:

Bouchard-WELCOME BACK BUTCH! If he can somehow stay healthy we are Loaded offensively. Butch was the best forward on the ice tonight.

Dumba-best keep the kid up. contract doesn't count against 50 and he is ready. Could he use more development...yes. But he can play right now and we can utilize him at least until Brodin/Scandella get back and/or his game falters

Granlund-needs to do things at a faster pace. Will adjust quickly I'm sure but NHL is much quicker than AHL

Larsson-slowly becoming one of my favorite not just prospects but players. He is the real deal and if he made the team I wouldn't disagree with it one bit. Cullen is as good as gone next year as Larsson will be on his way up.

Spurgeon-looked great and not just cause he had 3 points. very good breakouts and outlets all night. With Suter at his side this kid develops into a big time puck mover this year. Im a believer in the 25+ point talk now after tonight.

Harding-looked phenomenal. cemented the game with a few key saves down the stretch

Heatley-bury that biscuit! He's gonna get his chances especially on the PP. I hope he gets on a terror early and scores in bunches all season long.

Seto-most disappointing player for me. Is there anyone this guy meshes with? If we traded him for a defenseman tomorrow I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed.

Parise/Koivu-started to see some good movement and puck plays down low and around the net. these two are made for each other.

As far as the 4 competing for the final 2 roster spots I think you give the upper hand to Palmieri,Kassian, Dowell.

Vielleux is the one for sure out IMO.

Konopka-won 3 straight face-offs against Koivu in the offensive zone. Not sure I've see Mikko lose 3 in a row especial in the d-zone. Like what i saw from him.

Zucker-its too bad cause this kid is an NHL player now. Not sure how they find room for him though. Like I said before move Setoguchi for a defenseman and bring him up. Perfect.

Billy Mays Here*

My takes from the game:

Dumba-best keep the kid up. contract doesn't count against 50 and he is ready. Could he use more development...yes. But he can play right now and we can utilize him at least until Brodin/Scandella get back and/or his game falters

Not sure I'd go that far yet. He looked good but it is only a scrimmage after all. I'd like to see how he performs in a couple NHL games before I accurately assess his readiness.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

A lot does. Like other people have said, I disagree with you about the degree of his "poor" skating. I think it's at least on a passable level, and when you add in his other attributes. Yeah, he might get beat on outside once or twice, but he's also going to do a lot of good things on the offensive end.

The Barker comparison is just mean.

And if everything starts with skating, you should be Zucker's biggest fan right now. Kid can fly.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
I don't see Fletcher making any trades for at least 15-25 games almost till whenever the deadline day is........... unless this team starts off slow.

If we see a slow starting Wild team, I would guess Clutter or Seto would be gone

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
So this Spurgeon kid, he's pretty good huh? :sarcasm:

I'll be watching the replay at midnight.

Also, for anyone else who's up late the NHL network has a 2 hour special on NW division teams tonight.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Not sure I'd go that far yet. He looked good but it is only a scrimmage after all. I'd like to see how he performs in a couple NHL games before I accurately assess his readiness.

By ready I meant more as he is ready to play a 6 game stint up here and hang around playing until we need him.

I should have clarified that a bit.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
He looked too much like a miniature Cam Barker--a pylon just floating around.

does anyone else feel the same ?

I am almost on the other end of the spectrum here. He isn't the best skater but far from the worst. He has wheels but can refine his close counter agility in his own zone. As a offensive minded Dman, his skating is well above average when he wants to join the rush and get back to his pairing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad