Prospect Info: Minnesota Wild Prospect Ranking - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Eriksson Ek has the "seen him play in the NHL" factor. Kaprizov outperformed him the only time they played on equal footing.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Eriksson Ek has the "seen him play in the NHL" factor. Kaprizov outperformed him the only time they played on equal footing.

Ek plays the more important and more difficult position.

Also, assuming you are referring to the WJC, take a look at the top performers in a given year for the WJC and you will see a lot of players who played great in that tournament, yet had lesser careers than those they played better than in that same tournament.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get excited about a player doing great in the WJC, no reason not to, just don't draw any conclusions from it.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
How about comparable numbers to Tarasenko in the KHL? It's not like Kaprizov only played well in the WJC. He's played well against men.

I just don't think his position should be the determining factor of who is a better prospect... How about, oh I don't know, determining this by who has the higher ceiling vs floor.

I'm not sure I could see JEE turn into a 1C. Time will tell. Kaprizov looks to have a better chance of playing 1LW/1RW than JEE at 1C.

If both play 1st line in the future then you and I can both look back and laugh at this.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
How about comparable numbers to Tarasenko in the KHL? It's not like Kaprizov only played well in the WJC. He's played well against men.

I just don't think his position should be the determining factor of who is a better prospect... How about, oh I don't know, determining this by who has the higher ceiling vs floor.

I'm not sure I could see JEE turn into a 1C. Time will tell. Kaprizov looks to have a better chance of playing 1LW/1RW than JEE at 1C.

If both play 1st line in the future then you and I can both look back and laugh at this.
I agree he has comparable numbers to Tarasenko, that's why there's such high hopes. He still doesn't have Tarasenko's size and speed though, so he is less of a sure thing to successfully adapt to the MUCH more difficult NHL style of play.

I call JEE a better prospect, because he is likely to be a top 6 center, AND he is more likely to translate to the NHL, as we have seen him have success there already. Something we're not sure if Kaprizov can do as of yet. Yes, he SHOULD have success, but he's FAR from a sure thing.

Kaprizov has a higher ceiling, we're both agreed on that, but he has a FAR lower floor AND plays at a less important position. All of that plays a factor IMO. You're welcome to disagree, just stating how I feel about it.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I agree he has comparable numbers to Tarasenko, that's why there's such high hopes. He still doesn't have Tarasenko's size and speed though, so he is less of a sure thing to successfully adapt to the MUCH more difficult NHL style of play.

I call JEE a better prospect, because he is likely to be a top 6 center, AND he is more likely to translate to the NHL, as we have seen him have success there already. Something we're not sure if Kaprizov can do as of yet. Yes, he SHOULD have success, but he's FAR from a sure thing.

Kaprizov has a higher ceiling, we're both agreed on that, but he has a FAR lower floor AND plays at a less important position. All of that plays a factor IMO. You're welcome to disagree, just stating how I feel about it.

All well said. The KHL is a men's league but the top players in it are mostly guys who couldn't make it in the NHL. No one is ruling Kaprizov out but the facts are he is an unsigned player who might have to take a pay cut to play in a strange place with language/cultural difficulties, and then you get into making the leap from a much lesser league. A prospect ranking should reflect current realities: highest ceiling, but also most ready to help the club.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Tarasenko hasn't even achieved that yet though... last 3 seasons '14-15 - .948, '15-16 - .925, '16-17 - .912 PPG. His 3 best years.

Bad for him, Kaprizov will be PPG every season when he comes over. When you say something often enough, it will eventually become true? Right?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
All well said. The KHL is a men's league but the top players in it are mostly guys who couldn't make it in the NHL. No one is ruling Kaprizov out but the facts are he is an unsigned player who might have to take a pay cut to play in a strange place with language/cultural difficulties, and then you get into making the leap from a much lesser league. A prospect ranking should reflect current realities: highest ceiling, but also most ready to help the club.

But goal scoring wingers are sexier than 2-way centers or defensive d-men.

I have Kaprizov 4th on the list. JEE, Kunin, Olofsson ahead of him, those 3 will be NHL players. Kaprizov is a big question mark for me, high ceiling, lowest floor, might just stay in the KHL.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'll be dancing on the ceiling if kaprizov can regularly score 30G. im not concerned if he can be a PPG guy. we are currently missing that pure sniper. if we can fill that spot w/o a top 5 draft pick that would be amazing. for the posters who like JEE , what stats does he have to lead you to believe hes a potential #1C other than he was drafted in the 1st rnd?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I think Kaps ability to find the soft spots on the ice and his ability to finish can make him an NHL player. That accuracy and shot are top notch. I don't see the low floor everyone is talking about really. I think his floor is above Kunin's and his ceiling tops everyone. We just need him to get here.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
i'll be dancing on the ceiling if kaprizov can regularly score 30G. im not concerned if he can be a PPG guy. we are currently missing that pure sniper. if we can fill that spot w/o a top 5 draft pick that would be amazing. for the posters who like JEE , what stats does he have to lead you to believe hes a potential #1C other than he was drafted in the 1st rnd?

He's more of a Koivu 1C than a Staal 1C. He already has a good 2-way game. The SHL isn't really a high scoring league, but it is also against grown men. He did have respectable numbers in his abbreviated season 8g/8a in 26 games (prorated and he would have had 32p, good enough for 20th in scoring). He also went 3g/3a in their 7 Playoff games.

He'll probably end up as a solid NHL 2C, but be the 1C for the Wild because they have nobody else.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think Kaps ability to find the soft spots on the ice and his ability to finish can make him an NHL player. That accuracy and shot are top notch. I don't see the low floor everyone is talking about really. I think his floor is above Kunin's and his ceiling tops everyone. We just need him to get here.

The same thing has been said about Pokemon for a couple of years now.

The soft spots are easy to find on KHL (IIHF) ice. 15' wider, 2' more space behind the goal line, icing line is 4' closer to the goal (8' longer neutral zone), 3' wider goalie crease. There is just less time and space in the NHL compared to the KHL, smaller rinks and faster/better players.

Kaprizov has a good shot, but it's not Ovi, Laine, or Kucherov quality. I haven't seen enough of his 2-way play to say he'll last in the NHL. All offence, no defense wings aren't in high demand.

I don't think his speed is anything special, he has short but stocky build.

Some players transition well to the NHL from the KHL (or any league), some don't.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
@Lapa - might as well skip directly to #3. It's pretty clear who goes #2. ;)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I haven't said much here, but the reason I voted Eriksson Ek is because his floor looks to me like a 3rd line center. Kaprizov's floor looks like a KHL/AHL scorer. I don't see Kaprizov playing 4th line, and I think his ceiling is an NHL 1st liner, but then again I think that's also Eriksson Ek's ceiling as well, but at the center spot. Eriksson Ek is also the closer thing, so the Oak takes top spot.

I think it is pretty clear JEE, Kaprizov and Kunin are the top 3. So if you skip #2 you might as well skip #3.

It's a long summer. No reason to skip anything. Let's do like our grandfathers did before us: display patience and vote on hockey players. That is what I assume all our grandfathers did.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I one of those people who prioritize balance of potential and safety.

KK has potential through the roof but JEE's upside pretty high as well and also shown he can stick in lower lines in the NHL.

So I'm going JEE.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild need a timely, prolific, and opportunistic scorer. Kap

They also will need a Koivu replacement. Ek. Big shoes to fill to even equal Koivu, but I still want more than that.

Wish I could be more positive about Kunin. Just don't see the skating. Still young, though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
But goal scoring wingers are sexier than 2-way centers or defensive d-men.

I have Kaprizov 4th on the list. JEE, Kunin, Olofsson ahead of him, those 3 will be NHL players. Kaprizov is a big question mark for me, high ceiling, lowest floor, might just stay in the KHL.

Kaprizov just fell 2 more spots for me (to #6). Reilly and Sokolov are now ahead of him. He's ahead of Greenway and Belpedio for now. I'm not sure any of the 3 will sign contracts with the Wild. The players the do will move further up on the list.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
With the Russian factor, KK was already only at the 4th spot. He might drop a lot.

Let's face it. Minnesota is no LA, NY, Chicago or has a few Russians already playing here.
So it makes it harder for a young guy to jump over the pond.

Nobody has met him ffs. Great dealing with a prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad