GDT: Minnesota Wild @ Phoenix Coyotes | 2-4-13 | 7PM

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
We are playing trap hockey? LOL

Maybe my terminology is wrong but you had 3 people at our blue line and I meant to say it was your teams play that was keeping us from doing anything, not bad passing by the Coyotes. Besides I said the TV timeout would let then figure it out and then look what happened. Go back to your board.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@OfftheIce620: #Coyotes #MNWild RT @dave_zorn: Attendance: 9,508"

Attendance is up around 25% over this many games last year. Obviously the time of the year is helping but progress.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Didn't get to watch tonight. But good win.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Good win with standard Coyotes hockey. The Hanzal goal was pretty. Wouldn't it be great if he could break out offensively this year?

Hopefully Schlemko isn't hurt too badly.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Schlemko looked like a shoulder dislocation. Hanz had a little more speed tonight. Smith stepped up on some bad turnovers. Good positives and a well rested team that must have hit up the 16th hole went down. A few days off before Chicago who may roll with their backup.

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Schlemko looked like a shoulder dislocation. Hanz had a little more speed tonight. Smith stepped up on some bad turnovers. Good positives and a well rested team that must have hit up the 16th hole went down. A few days off before Chicago who may roll with their backup.

I hope they play Emery, but doubt they will considering its not back to back games for them.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Tip saying Schlemko has a significant injury, hasn't talked to doctors but says week to week.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Didn't get to see the game, just got off work. But I saw the box score, only 22 shotst for the Wild. Not bad at all. Looking forward to seeing this one replayed. I'm doing well so far this year keeping up with the team. I'll be at the game on Thursday! Need to lessen the supporters for the Blackhawks!

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Fellas, just got back from the game. I can't tell you how much better Moss is than Pyatt. That was a serious upgrade and if we can get healthy, we're going to be a very tough team to play against all season if Smith continues to impress as he did tonight.

The team is playing well and confidence is building...I really like this team.

Korpi is healthy and playing well, Boeds is creating tons of chances and soon they will start falling for him.

DeMo is playing out of his mind right now, unbelievable the transformation from the previous two years to this season. The lockout has been good to him for sure.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Just got back from the game... phew! We got luck on our side on this one. Great first period, other than that, really the game can be summed up by a skate save by Yandle & 2 posts, all in our favor. Damn, those things usually work against us.

Glad we were able to steal 2 points.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
They're not playing the trap. They're doing the exact opposite. They've got a heavy forecheck going on.

Yeah, Minnesota really brought pressure in our own zone. Sometimes a misplayed tip would wind up in our favor, but they were great in the early 3rd. Started to wear down some as the night finished.

Liked Stone's game tonight. We definitely were shooting with a purpose tonight. Twice Stone sent good shots in from the blue line - one wide to dump down low and one right in the goalie's glove. Recognized the situation that we were fresher than the Wild on the dump-in, and had sapped a lot of energy for the face-off and fresh lines.

Yandle, Yandle, Yandle - it's better, you may not believe it, but it's better. You used the fake slap well once to make a D-man commit. Stop panicking. The puck jumps over your stick, don't trip yourself up. Putting shots on net is never a bad thing when you go for it. Good tip by Korpi for the goal, although I honestly lost count of how many times I thought I saw the puck change direction.

I can't tell yet, but I feel like Doan is a little less Doan-like. Maybe there is some conservation going on, and he didn't have the chance to skate as often with offseason things. He's still got plenty in him, though.

We are starting to play much better, and two days of practice before Thursday is coming at a good time, IMO. As good as we are playing, we can get some good video in the first 10 games to review where the breakdowns have been, and start off with a team that we have already played in Chicago. Tightening up our D a hair more should get the offense creating some odd-man breaks against open ice when we are able to create turnovers and loose pucks.

For some reason, I almost felt like we lost the faceoff battle. We still won it, but Gordon and Chippy were key parts to it. Vermette and Hanzal were both sub-45%.

And finally - even though we only had one opportunity, our zone entries on the PP are so much better. We are having a far greater success rate than I have seen in a long time in bringing the puck over the blue line. Teams are catching on to the drop pass sending three up and one on the side, but I feel like we have made the adjustments of quick passes and reading when the defense gets back in its box.

Good win tonight - keep it up...

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Just got back myself (took a detour on the way home).

Great way to grind out a win. The 22 shots on goal can be a little deceiving; Wild took plenty of shots that didn't make it through due to our great shot blocking.

Putting a good run together here, hope we can keep it up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad