Minnesota Wild General Discussion XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Baddock gives us an arrow in our quiver that we we haven't had recently. He should be seldom, if ever, used, but best thought of as insurance should a team try to go the goon route. You don't want Foligno, and certainly not Greenway(he can't fight!) sitting in the box for 5 or more minutes after getting in a tussle with an untalented goon(btw, that is not Lowry...he can play). Duhaime can fight a bit, but would get hurt fighting a heavyweight like McDermid or Deslauriers. That's where Braddock comes in, possibly, should Evason feel the need. Braddock can fight those two without getting killed(beaten, maybe), and the tradeoff is even, if not in our favor. It's callous, but if Braddock is hurt fighting those guys, it's no biggie. If Marcus gets hurt it's a biggie.

This is a special situation that might happen three times this year. Baddock will probably get at most 20 min. of TOI. I think it's a sensible move, especially given that McIntyre looks pretty good in the nets, and can take Hammond's place. A little bit of good will giving Hammond a shot at some NHL time doesn't hurt Guerin, either.

Last time Iowa played Rockford Gabriel was running around hammering players, and being a jackass. Baddock is the antidote for that situation. Guess who Iowa is playing on Tuesday?
Gabriel isn’t capable of anything else but that.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Don’t get me wrong, I love Foligno and Greenway and their heavy forecheck but the temper tantrums don’t help. No one was running Boldy or Kap. The Wild need Foligno to act like a captain and put the puck in the net. Get 4 goals up then maybe. Even then.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What bad luck that Addison is injured. Terrible about Dumba, for that matter, but better now than just before the playoffs.

Mermis confuses me. Sometimes he seems pretty good, other times he does not so good stuff...guess that's why he's an AHL'er. He can skate, and handle the puck a bit. Not big, just sort of average sized, but reasonably strong.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This year's team gives me a very TOR vibe. Weak d-corps, average-ish goalies, 2 x 2-man + random filler guy scoring lines. TOR hasn't had anything like the GREEF line, but they have centers so it's a tradeoff.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rather than chasing a center at the TDL, maybe Guerin should shift his focus to upgrading the blueline.

I've had it with Benn...he seems to be making 3-4 critical errors every game.
I'm not mad at him for being slow, or for having mediocre puck skills, but he also doesn't seem to be very alert. Can Addison (yes, i know he is injured now, but how about the rest of the year?) be that much worse defensively? We know that he can skate like the wind, and handle the puck very well, and he is a RHD, which would allow our LHD to play on their proper side.

Reactions: Slotski

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'm not mad at him for being slow, or for having mediocre puck skills, but he also doesn't seem to be very alert. Can Addison (yes, i know he is injured now, but how about the rest of the year?) be that much worse defensively? We know that he can skate like the wind, and handle the puck very well, and he is a RHD, which would allow our LHD to play on their proper side.

I know Dumba & Addison are both injured, but it truly makes little sense why our healthy lineup is not:

Brodin - Dumba
Goligoski - Spurgeon
Kulikov - Addison

Addison looked good when he was up here and it’s ridiculous that Evason has favored Benn & Merill over him.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I know Dumba & Addison are both injured, but it truly makes little sense why our healthy lineup is not:

Brodin - Dumba
Goligoski - Spurgeon
Kulikov - Addison

Addison looked good when he was up here and it’s ridiculous that Evason has favored Benn & Merill over him.
I personally wouldn't lump Benn and Merrill together. Kulikov -Merrill has been a pretty good pairing, but I can't say the same about any pairing that's had Benn on it. Merrill has his faults but also his strengths. Benn is just outmatched in the NHL in too many different ways and he gets exposed every game because of it.

With the d-corps healthy, I'm ok with Addison getting games in the AHL. He should be the first guy called up when there's an injury though, and Benn should still be the #7 when that happens.

Reactions: P10p

P10p

May 15, 2012

Brodin - Dumba
Goligoski - Spurgeon
Kulikov - Addison

Merril makes some sense. He makes mostly smart decisions with the puck. Addison has a lot of trouble with bigger forwards and seems to be easily out muscled. Benn, I completely agree. Anything to keep him off our roster is a win.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Merril makes some sense. He makes mostly smart decisions with the puck. Addison has a lot of trouble with bigger forwards and seems to be easily out muscled. Benn, I completely agree. Anything to keep him off our roster is a win.
Yeah, but Goligoski, Benn, and to a lesser extent, Merrill get beaten in other ways, mainly because they are slow. Meanwhile Addison is vg with the puck, and can skate, so can get to, and react to plays earlier. He is short(not much shorter than Goli), but is stout, and pretty combative...

If I was seeing the dmen in question win puck battles and covering guys in the slot well then it would be a different thing, but they aren't. Benn's scary beard just doesn't translate to good, or even decent, defense.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I wonder if we could get a late 1st for Goligoski from some Pejorative Slured GM that just stat watches

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rask is actually pretty smart, has good puck skills, and a good shot. Just is slow, and non physical.

Reactions: Wabit

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So, since there's no taxi squad, Rask is probably looking for a bus ride to Iowa with a 4M salary :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad