Minnesota Wild General Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If he calls a player up ( accept for Brown he's on 1 way deal ) doesn't he have to pay him NHL money or does he play for free ?

Does that make sense ?????

I don't like not calling someone up until tomorrow either, but using a practice with a Hunt experiment on the wing doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. There isn't anybody that's done much when they've been with the team in MN, or is playing too well for the AHL and has earned a callup.

Hunt is a PP option at least; Brown and Read (or really anyone in Iowa) aren't.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The only complaint one can credibly make about Leipold is that he got too involved with the Parise and Suter situation, but that's only if you think it was a bad move to pursue them at all. That's the closest I can remember him coming to "meddling" in GM business, and the result there was to hand out two of the most extravagant contracts in the league.

If Fenton decides to rebuild for a year or two then yeah, I'd think cutting salary makes sense for multiple reasons. But it's not because Leipold's a cheapskate and the idea that Fenton's making moves to save him nickels is bizarre.

Reactions: BigT2002

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The only complaint one can credibly make about Leipold is that he got too involved with the Parise and Suter situation, but that's only if you think it was a bad move to pursue them at all. That's the closest I can remember him coming to "meddling" in GM business, and the result there was to hand out two of the most extravagant contracts in the league.

If Fenton decides to rebuild for a year or two then yeah, I'd think cutting salary makes sense for multiple reasons. But it's not because Leipold's a cheapskate.

He lost a lot of money as the Preds owner too. He's done the exact opposite of be a penny pincher with how he has run the Wild so far.

A callup for 1 day is maybe a $2k difference in real money. 1 way deals there is no difference in pay.

A lot of the nonELC players have it written into their deals that they will make a certain amount of money above the AHL salary even if they don't see the NHL. Ferraro is a $375k AHL salary, but is guaranteed to make $425k this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

If Fenton decides to rebuild for a year or two then yeah, I'd think cutting salary makes sense for multiple reasons. But it's not because Leipold's a cheapskate and the idea that Fenton's making moves to save him nickels is bizarre.
Yeah, i have a hard time criticizing a guy who has done nothing but spend money up to the cap, and let's hockey people make hockey decisions.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Yay for a top line of:
Zucker: 1g/4a in the last 13 games
Staal: 0p in the last 7 games
Coyle: 3g/3a the last 18 games.

At least Greenway got away from Zucker/Staal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I prefer Coyle at C, and Granlund at wing, but I get that BB is trying everything he can to get someone going on the top 6 besides Parise.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I agre
I prefer Coyle at C, and Granlund at wing, but I get that BB is trying everything he can to get someone going on the top 6 besides Parise.
I agree. Granny on wing. Move Ek up. What have you got to lose? Season is over anyway. Wild are losing in the current easy section of the schedule.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I hadn't heard of this, Modano working for the Wild soon?

It’s not cemented in stone yet, but it’s looking more and more likely that Hall of Famer Mike Modano will be working for the Wild in some capacity — maybe several capacities, actually — at some point in the near future.

The highest-scoring U.S.-born player in NHL history and the No. 1 overall pick in the 1988 draft by the once-beloved Minnesota North Stars has hung around the Wild a handful of times the past three months. According to sources, Modano met with Wild owner Craig Leipold and his brain trust, including team president Matt Majka, back in December. He has also watched a couple games with Leipold in recent months.
One would think he’d either be angling for a president or executive vice president of hockey operations role akin to Joe Sakic in Colorado or Brendan Shanahan in Toronto, a front-office advisory role or very possibly a mixed bag of several roles inside the hockey and business ops departments.

As Wild hit latest low, Mike Modano conspicuously watches...

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I hadn't heard of this, Modano working for the Wild soon?

As Wild hit latest low, Mike Modano conspicuously watches...
Interesting.......can't believe some are actually suggesting he should be the new coach. Come on people! Nothing against him, but this may scream PR move.

Either way....isn't that kinda like giving the Stars the shaft? I would think he'd have more loyalty to them. On the flip side, if he does move here, his wife has a lot family here.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Interesting.......can't believe some are actually suggesting he should be the new coach. Come on people! Nothing against him, but this may scream PR move.

Either way....isn't that kinda like giving the Stars the shaft? I would think he'd have more loyalty to them. On the flip side, if he does move here, his wife has a lot family here.

Modano was an executive advisor and alternate governor for the Stars after he retired and apparently helped out with Arizona and their development. It's not like he doesn't have some background in the front office of an NHL team. Doesn't say how long, just a few years. Looks like 2013-2015. Wouldn't be surprised if they are adding Modano to help out while Kurvers is undergoing treatment to help Fenton. Or hell, he might be doing something completely unrelated to the team in other capacities.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Not that I want to be the Oilers, but I wouldn't mind a few 1st overalls. ;)
Well basically to get 1st overalls we need to rebuild. In order to rebuild we need to sell our core and get rid of our shitty contracts. But the problem is that the owners think otherwise and now we are stuck in a limbo where the only option to get past the bar is to break our back. We are the oldest team with the Kings (yeah those guys who won two cups while the Wild were playing golf), we have probably one of the worst prospect pools. So what can we do? Semi-rebuild is a must, full rebuild at this point is tolerable. I'm ready to lose couple of seasons and then be a contender rather than this wild card first round exit BS since god knows when.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I see that some are still holding a grudge against Modano for what he said about Minnesota right after the move to Dallas. He was 23 years old. I certainly said some stupid stuff at the same age....and my bet is that everyone who is ripping him has done the same also.

I will judge him for his comments that he made as a "grown-up" and he has said nothing but nice things about Minnesota.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
I see that some are still holding a grudge against Modano for what he said about Minnesota right after the move to Dallas. He was 23 years old. I certainly said some stupid stuff at the same age....and my bet is that everyone who is ripping him has done the same also.

I will judge him for his comments that he made as a "grown-up" and he has said nothing but nice things about Minnesota.
You see. or you ASSUME? cause you know what happens when you assume.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

It's partly that and partly him always coming off as a d-bag, but I guess the latter is hardly a disqualifier when it comes to executive positions. Ultimately it depends on what they'll have him doing, but it does concern me that he was gunning for a front-office job with Dallas a few years ago and they kept him at arm's length.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

What? Honestly that never dawned on me nor his comments at the 2006 Olympics. What does make me chuckle is he didn’t want to sign here in his swan song and went back home. Only to be relegated to a 4th liner that Babcock hated where if he had come to the Wild it would have been like the Apollo 11 parade all over again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad