Minnesota Wild General Discussion Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We still need some luck in drafting a top line center in this year's draft who can step in immediately.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
We still need some luck in drafting a top line center in this year's draft who can step in immediately.

A ton of luck. It's extremely rare for anyone to even play in their draft year that wasn't a top 5 pick.

13 of the 31 picks in the 1st round of the 2017 draft haven't even played a game and 6 others have played less than 10.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A ton of luck. It's extremely rare for anyone to even play in their draft year that wasn't a top 5 pick.

13 of the 31 picks in the 1st round of the 2017 draft haven't even played a game and 6 others have played less than 10.
I'm with JB. i'd rather not rush it. To play right away you not only have to have great talent, but a man's body, and even them you've got the mind of a teen. A guy like Mackinnon is rare.

Second year after the draft in the NHL partway through the year would be great. C is a little bit like D, in that it is more difficult to play, and takes more time.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
In Russo's latest podcast, he says something to the effect of 'Hendrick's was brought in to fix the locker room, and when he was traded to Winnipeg I pretty much guarantee that he said that the locker room is much worse than I thought it was'...

Does he mean OUR's or Winnipeg's?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In Russo's latest podcast, he says something to the effect of 'Hendrick's was brought in to fix the locker room, and when he was traded to Winnipeg I pretty much guarantee that he said that the locker room is much worse than I thought it was'...

Does he mean OUR's or Winnipeg's?
Winnipeg's.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Anything about his play that stands out as particularly problematic?

As staal, i disliked his effort level. He didnt seem to wanna use his one tool that seperates him from a lot of people, his speed. The love for his backhand that seemed to not score often or at all this year baffled me. Everytime he went to the net he was dekeing to his backhand and im pretty sure goalies picked up on it. That is an assumption though as i was just angry to always guess correctly on how he was gonna try to score. He developed Grannys mentality of try to make the pretty pass for a wide open net instead of shoot in the slot. I dont recall his defensive play to discuss it, i just assume it was not good.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As staal, i disliked his effort level. He didnt seem to wanna use his one tool that seperates him from a lot of people, his speed. The love for his backhand that seemed to not score often or at all this year baffled me. Everytime he went to the net he was dekeing to his backhand and im pretty sure goalies picked up on it. That is an assumption though as i was just angry to always guess correctly on how he was gonna try to score. He developed Grannys mentality of try to make the pretty pass for a wide open net instead of shoot in the slot. I dont recall his defensive play to discuss it, i just assume it was not good.
I agree with some of that from earlier in the year; the backhands and failed wraparounds especially cracked me up.

For the past few weeks he's been playing like the player I was hoping to see this year. Not a world beater, but a tenacious forechecker and a pretty good goalscorer. The fact that he's done it after the Granlund trade has helped to dispel my worry that he needs a Grade-A setup guy to be worth a damn.

Not that a few weeks erases criticisms from the rest of the season, but he's one of the last forwards I'd be demoting right now.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I agree with some of that from earlier in the year; the backhands and failed wraparounds especially cracked me up.

For the past few weeks he's been playing like the player I was hoping to see this year. Not a world beater, but a tenacious forechecker and a pretty good goalscorer. The fact that he's done it after the Granlund trade has helped to dispel my worry that he needs a Grade-A setup guy to be worth a damn.

Not that a few weeks erases criticisms from the rest of the season, but he's one of the last forwards I'd be demoting right now.
At our current position in the standings and want to get better youth. id prefer demoting him to 3rd line to finish the year and let these kids grow and test them vs our tough remaining schedule. I am on the wagon of not making playoffs this year and that changes some vision on how to go about this roster.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
At our current position in the standings and want to get better youth. id prefer demoting him to 3rd line to finish the year and let these kids grow and test them vs our tough remaining schedule. I am on the wagon of not making playoffs this year and that changes some vision on how to go about this roster.
No sense in mucking up the forward lines when they can just ride Stalock if they want a high pick.

Kidding, kidding.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
No sense in mucking up the forward lines when they can just ride Stalock if they want a high pick.

Kidding, kidding.
haha.. bravo. may be a joke but its true :D i just wanna see what the kids will do. they either show enough to warrant keeping them up next year or they look average and make you wonder if they make it out of training camp.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I feel bad bad for whoever gets stuck playing with Rask and Aberg :laugh:

Donato got that pleasure to start last game. Greenway some to I believe

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Its obviously the Wild locker room why would it be Winnipeg
Because it's been said repeatedly by multiple sources that Winnipeg said they traded for Hendricks to help their locker room issues, he was there before, and without him their locker room needed him.

That's the sole reason Peg did the trade.

This was even talked about on NHL Network on deadline day when the trade happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad