Minnesota Wild General Discussion Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Just got done reading the Russo Chat stuff on the Athletic app after reading @russoslacks talk about it. There is definitely no love lost between Fenton and Russo. Wow. Lots of speculation, but good reads. Goes in-depth about how Fenton won't tell the media about injuries largely because of "media member he doesn't trust," which really comes down to the one guy drilling him. Also Russo took the side of a few on here who wanted to know:

1) Why the draft pick for Boston wasn't conditional on where Boston ends up in the playoffs

2) Why no draft pick was given with Fiela in return for a proven player when the Wild were getting such a "raw one"

3) How the vets, like Parise, are discouraged because now it is all young guys again who are unproven in the locker room -- and how he is starting to feel the clock ticking.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Parise and Suter's reason for singing was the young players they thought would put us over the edge(Granny, Coyle,Zucker,Brodin,Dumba,) However they singed the deal I believe before the new CBA Which allowed us to do 100 mil per Parise and Suter. Then the CBA came into effect and with the new divisional playoff rules(Which I Hate) and we ran into the Buzzsaw that was Chicago multiple times. It wasn't a bad strategy we had... it was terrible timing.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Donato, Kunin and Greenway all had a great first game back in the AHL.

Donato 2g 3a
Kunin 3g 1a
Greenway 0g 2a

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Parise and Suter's reason for singing was the young players they thought would put us over the edge(Granny, Coyle,Zucker,Brodin,Dumba,) However they singed the deal I believe before the new CBA Which allowed us to do 100 mil per Parise and Suter. Then the CBA came into effect and with the new divisional playoff rules(Which I Hate) and we ran into the Buzzsaw that was Chicago multiple times. It wasn't a bad strategy we had... it was terrible timing.
Yes and no I'd say. Even if we didn't play Chicago early in the playoffs if the divisional format wasn't a thing, we likely would have played them a round or two later every year, since they made a bunch of deep runs. That would certainly make us feel a bit better. I feel like a couple of those Wild teams could have at least made the conference finals. So I guess it depends if you call that a success or not.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
giving out 13 year contracts are never going to end well, and we are, unfortunately, heading into the endgame as far as Parise's ability to play hockey is concerned. His skills are still there, and he's only lost a bit of speed, but a bad back, broken sternum, broken foot, and bad knee are just the most recent examples of how brittle he has become with age. can't imagine what he is going to be like in 2 or 3 years from now, let alone 5 or 6.

I have more hope for Suter, but everything depends on how well his talus heals. If it becomes chronically painful then his career will be shortened, also.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, but there is no financial incentive to do so for 3 years, when the amount of pay they get is far less. By then, I would imagine that the NHL would be secure enough in the new contract rules to not try to fight their early retirement, and impose cap recapture penalties.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah, but there is no financial incentive to do so for 3 years, when the amount of pay they get is far less. By then, I would imagine that the NHL would be secure enough in the new contract rules to not try to fight their early retirement, and impose cap recapture penalties.
Who knows, maybe a new CBA will bring two more compliance buyouts.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I hope so. Has it been suggested or speculated by anyone that there is a chance of this happening?
There's been plenty of speculation about it because nobody wants it to happen. Owners don't want to lose the cap space. Players don't want the cap space being taken up by money that isn't actually going to the players. The only teams that gain anything with cap recapture, are the team that don't spend any money. Neither the NHLPA or the owners are going to give a f*** about what those teams want. There's a possibility of close to a $25M cap recapture penalty for Nashville on the Shea Weber contract. How could the NHL even try to enforce that?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Odds on Koivu being back at the start of the season even? Always seemed like a quick healer. But that was a lot of damage to the knee...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's gonna need time. Older guys usually do. Just hope he doesn't end up being Douglas Murray, or Heatley levels of slow when he finally comes back.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He's gonna need time. Older guys usually do. Just hope he doesn't end up being Douglas Murray, or Heatley levels of slow when he finally comes back.

This is my concern too. The guy already is one of our slowest players, I can only imagine how slow he'll be out there next year if he doesn't recover fully. He's 36 now and coming off an injury that's much harder for older players to come back from.

Wonder when he has his eyes set on retirement. I don't think he's ever leaving Minnesota at this point (wish we could get him a cup). However, he's going to have to take a lot less money in his next contract and just be a 3rd line PKing center.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This is my concern too. The guy already is one of our slowest players, I can only imagine how slow he'll be out there next year if he doesn't recover fully. He's 36 now and coming off an injury that's much harder for older players to come back from.

Wonder when he has his eyes set on retirement. I don't think he's ever leaving Minnesota at this point (wish we could get him a cup). However, he's going to have to take a lot less money in his next contract and just be a 3rd line PKing center.
I would love to keep him around as a 4C forever

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Shots fired by Russo:

Start around 26:15...but apparently Fenton and Russo have a very, very bitter relation right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad