Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Who has said they are so so close to being a Cup team? I've seen fans over the years (myself included) saying we have potential to be competitive down the road with the prospects in the pipeline. I've seen that a lot over the last 25 years. But being optimistic is quite different from declaring they are THIS CLOSE to winning a Cup. Even going back to the old Wild forum in 2003, it was rare to see anyone say we are just "this close" to winning it all.
The only time I remember was near the end of Fletcher's term when they traded for Hanzel and White, they were saying that Minnesota was close to being a Cup contender.

Reactions: BagHead

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
The only time I remember was near the end of Fletcher's term when they traded for Hanzel and White, they were saying that Minnesota was close to being a Cup contender.

That year and 21/22 we finished 2nd in the west, we were at least in the conversation.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That would be ideal.

Kap-Ek-Boldy
Yurov-Rossi-Zucc
Ohgren-Khusnutdinov-Hartman
Foligno-Gaudreau-Johansson

Fun fact for everyone: Zucc had 2 goals and 5 assists at 5v5 for the ENTIRE SEASON when Kaprizov was not on the ice. That's per the latest Worst Seats in the House podcast

• Wow
Reactions: Sweetnut

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So who do people want to target to help the second line?

I'd be kicking the tires on Henrique and Lindholm.

Arvidsson is a player I've always liked, but adding another small winger is probably a bad idea. He could be one of those guys that are left holding the bag as a UFA and take a small 1 year deal after missing most of this last season.

DeBrusk might be someone in MN's price range, but he's more of a middle-6er than a top-6 player.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
In the Russo podcast with LaPanta (my god, the arguing was such bad taste) Russo insisted they’re going to sign a vet to a 1 year deal

Wabit

May 23, 2016
In the Russo podcast with LaPanta (my god, the arguing was such bad taste) Russo insisted they’re going to sign a vet to a 1 year deal

This is a pretty safe general statement to make. It'll probably end up being a big, physical, bottom of the lineup, locker room type of player.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
That would be ideal.

Kap-Ek-Boldy
Yurov-Rossi-Zucc
Ohgren-Khusnutdinov-Hartman
Foligno-Gaudreau-Johansson

Fun fact for everyone: Zucc had 2 goals and 5 assists at 5v5 for the ENTIRE SEASON when Kaprizov was not on the ice. That's per the latest Worst Seats in the House podcast

I would do anything as GM to have Zucc out of that spot on the second line and get anyone competent there. Hartman for sure is an option but ideally someone who has some offensive upside.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
To be fair, Russo’s point is fairly valid that if they sign someone to term then they are essentially blocking Yurov or Heidt or Haight (the prospects he said) and should trade them. I think there is some validity to that. Not with Yurov, but maybe the others.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Some interesting tidbits from Russo and Smith. In summary:

1. The Wild could be looking at trading Gus (no new news there). With the season he just had, shouldn't expect a huge return, maybe a 2nd round pick...but the Wild might want to see a roster player as well if the cap fit works.
  2. Chances of Rossi being dealt are higher than many think. Speculates that the Wild were interested in Cutter Gauthier before Philly dealt him to Anaheim, and Rossi might've been a player they would've considered moving for him.
  3. The Wild believe that Yurov will be a top 6 center. Since Ek and Yurov seem to be the top 6 centers of the future, they don't believe that Rossi would be best suited playing a bottom 6 center role and don't want to move him to wing. However, a top 6 wing is something they might want in return for Rossi.
  4. Heidt really has a legitimate chance at making the roster out of camp.
  5. They might be interested in picking up a RH top 6 wing this summer. If Perron doesn't re-sign in Detroit, he might be someone to consider.
  6. Not likely that Merrill will be dealt this summer, but if a young guy like Hunt shows to be more worthy, they might bury Merrill and his cap hit in Iowa.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
And as I pointed out months ago. If the Wild think they have a legit top 6c in Yurov then Ek is the piece to move. Not Rossi. Rossi still has upside and Ek is far more valuable. Rossi fits the core age much better than ek. We would get a haul for Ek , not so much for Rossi.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
What if we signed Tank and expressed to Yurov he has a legit shot at centering Kap and Tank.

We run Kap Yurov Tank top line.

We then package Ek and Gus together for a legit 2nd line LW. Someone Jesper Bratt or along those lines. Money works and we instantly have two legit scoring lines.

No idea who has the type of LW that would make this worth it but it’s an idea.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
And as I pointed out months ago. If the Wild think they have a legit top 6c in Yurov then Ek is the piece to move. Not Rossi. Rossi still has upside and Ek is far more valuable. Rossi fits the core age much better than ek. We would get a haul for Ek , not so much for Rossi.
We should still keep JEE. You need him if you want to be a playoff team.

Reactions: Slotski

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Given a choice, I keep Ek over Rossi. If we traded him, we would just end up looking for someone with his tools and skillset to replace him. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: Slotski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad