Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I'd rather roll with Rossi over Dach. I like his smarts, and has the knack of putting up points. Haven't seen enough of Pinto to comment, but he seems to be a bit of a bonehead. There used to be a guy around here who was really high on Rossi, but haven't heard from him for a while. I think his name was RossiSaveUs , or something like that.
I am very high in Rossi and my preference would be to keep him. Just putting for for thought out since it feels like the team is going to move on

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
A Gaudreau buyout would be tons cheaper than the Parise variety, and getting cheaper by the year. If they were to pull the plug now, the savings would cover almost half the cap hit, and would end up at around 600K, albeit until 2032.

In other words, given the drop off this season, the odds of him making it 5 more years is pretty low. The buyout gets shorter and cheaper each year.

Freddie was coming off 44 and 38 point seasons playing Botton 6, and can win face-offs. Don't hate the deal. It won't hurt the Wild moving forward either.

Reactions: Minnewildsota

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
More a response to the idiotic trade board proposal for a ‘24 draft pick.

As for your players, they aren’t realistic targets. CBJ needs another small forward like I need a hole in the head. And Necas is too good and too valuable to Carolina. Id rather hang on to Rossi than add to him to get Necas or Jiricek
Well any player worth trading Rossi for is also going to be a promising young player so ofc you can always question why the other team would do it for that reason. The players I listed there is atleast some reason for.

1.) Necas - there is a ton of smoke out there on him right now and look at carolina's cap situation. Brett Pesce, Brady Skej, Teravainen, and Guentzel are all UFAs. Necas and Seth Jarvis are RFA. Idk how it shakes out but there's opportunity to get a really good player from Carolina. Pesce and Necas are the ones I see mentioned the most often.

2.) The Blue Jacket players - I agree the Jackets are loaded with young forward prospects so Rossi seems redundant but part of their (seemingly eternal) issue could be not enough of those forwards being solid 2-way guys (Johnny Gaudreau and Patrik Laine in particular). I'm not interested in Laine or Gaudreau but its not crazy to me that one of the Jackets forwards could better fit the Wild better and vice versa - altho in all these ideas it would probably be Rossi + (not just Rossi) to get the player. On top of that there may have been some longterm damage done between one or more of these players and the franchise over the whole Mike Babcock affair. This is a franchise that went thru a whole long saga with Pierre Luc Dubois only to come out of it with the very dissatisfying return of Patrik Laine. Do they really want to go thru all of that again and suffer a similar fate? Jiricek is the least likely player to traded but he's also the one player who's actually come out and openly talked to reporters about his frustrations with the franchise.

Anyway yeah, I agree the most likely outcome is the Wild run it back again and that may even be the prudent thing to do. I am going to try to bookmark this "I wouldnt trade Rossi for Necas or Jiricek" claim to return to in the future though bc from where we are right now that seems insane to me lol. ofc I'll happily eat crow if Rossi is still with MN and proves out over both.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
A Gaudreau buyout would be tons cheaper than the Parise variety, and getting cheaper by the year. If they were to pull the plug now, the savings would cover almost half the cap hit, and would end up at around 600K, albeit until 2032.

In other words, given the drop off this season, the odds of him making it 5 more years is pretty low. The buyout gets shorter and cheaper each year.

Freddie was coming off 44 and 38 point seasons playing Botton 6, and can win face-offs. Don't hate the deal. It won't hurt the Wild moving forward either.
Why buy him out? Why not just waive and bury him in the AHL? I just looked at capfriendly buyout of Gaudreau and you prob only save around 500k more next year doing it that way but carry a cap hit for 4 extra years.

Waive him and :

1.) Someone might just claim him and assume his contract
or
2.) You still get to keep the player but only at about half his cap hit (I think its somewhere around 1.25MM of a contract you can bury right now)
or
3.) it may hurt the players pride or just generally disinterest him so much to play in the AHL that he outright agrees to a mutual termination of his contract.

Realistically, with Freddy I'd assume #2 would be the result but that's still way better than a buy out. But I dont imagine this is something they start entertaining unless Freddy sucks as hard as he has this year for most if not all of next year too.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well any player worth trading Rossi for is also going to be a promising young player so ofc you can always question why the other team would do it for that reason. The players I listed there is atleast some reason for.

1.) Necas - there is a ton of smoke out there on him right now and look at carolina's cap situation. Brett Pesce, Brady Skej, Teravainen, and Guentzel are all UFAs. Necas and Seth Jarvis are RFA. Idk how it shakes out but there's opportunity to get a really good player from Carolina. Pesce and Necas are the ones I see mentioned the most often.

2.) The Blue Jacket players - I agree the Jackets are loaded with young forward prospects so Rossi seems redundant but part of their (seemingly eternal) issue could be not enough of those forwards being solid 2-way guys (Johnny Gaudreau and Patrik Laine in particular). I'm not interested in Laine or Gaudreau but its not crazy to me that one of the Jackets forwards could better fit the Wild better and vice versa - altho in all these ideas it would probably be Rossi + (not just Rossi) to get the player. On top of that there may have been some longterm damage done between one or more of these players and the franchise over the whole Mike Babcock affair. This is a franchise that went thru a whole long saga with Pierre Luc Dubois only to come out of it with the very dissatisfying return of Patrik Laine. Do they really want to go thru all of that again and suffer a similar fate? Jiricek is the least likely player to traded but he's also the one player who's actually come out and openly talked to reporters about his frustrations with the franchise.

Anyway yeah, I agree the most likely outcome is the Wild run it back again and that may even be the prudent thing to do. I am going to try to bookmark this "I wouldnt trade Rossi for Necas or Jiricek" claim to return to in the future though bc from where we are right now that seems insane to me lol. ofc I'll happily eat crow if Rossi is still with MN and proves out over both.

CAR would probably end up as Kotkaniemi as the offer for Rossi. I don't see Rossi as a fit with CAR at all. Rossi would be a middle-6 winger in CAR.

CBJ is just strange, so anything can happen there I guess. Seems it would be more of a change of scenery trade (for whatever reason) than anything if something wat to happen.

I don't think Rossi gets traded. I don't see a strong market for him because he's an odd fit for a lot of teams due to size, position, style, etc. If he does get traded it'll end up being an initial reaction "bad" trade for MN.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Anyone think it makes sense to target Zegras?

I think about all these players that people bring up, namely Zegras and Necas, and then I think about how Guerin traded Fiala because he just didn't want the player, and it doesn't compute in my head.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I think about all these players that people bring up, namely Zegras and Necas, and then I think about how Guerin traded Fiala because he just didn't want the player, and it doesn't compute in my head.
Too late lol , started main board thread trading Ek again 😂

I do agree that Zegras isn’t a Guerin guy which is why I’d love to see between Kap and Boldy

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It’s kinda crazy to piss and moan endlessly about how we don’t win playoff series and then turn around and propose a trade of Ek+magic beans for Zegras+magic bean. I’ll be shocked if Zegras ever wins a playoff series as the 1C for his team.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
It’s kinda crazy to piss and moan endlessly about how we don’t win playoff series and then turn around and propose a trade of Ek+magic beans for Zegras+magic bean. I’ll be shocked if Zegras ever wins a playoff series as the 1C for his team.

Kap Rossi Boldy
Yurov Zegras Demidov
Ohgren Khus Hartman

That would set us up for quite a few years

Also how have we done with whatever it is you’re advocating for? Where has Ek taken us that Zegras wouldn’t?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Kap Rossi Boldy
Yurov Zegras Demidov
Ohgren Khus Hartman

That would set us up for quite a few years

Also how have we done with whatever it is you’re advocating for? Where has Ek taken us that Zegras wouldn’t?
So far? The playoffs.

We're not getting their 1st round pick, which is the only interesting part of the deal. So take Demidov out of your lineup.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Yeah I think it was a lot more complicated than "he just didnt want the player." He did actually try to sign Kevin to an extension at one point if you remember but there was more going on with cap calculations than just an evaluation of fiala.

Also i dont understand what kind of equivalence youre trying to draw between zegras, fiala, and necas here. Marty Necas is better than the other two imo.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
So far? The playoffs.

We're not getting their 1st round pick, which is the only interesting part of the deal. So take Demidov out of your lineup.
Well I want their first round pick

Really needed Detroit to win that game

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
They don’t play a hard enough brand of hockey unfortunately.

Reactions: AKL

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Well I want their first round pick

Really needed Detroit to win that game
I respect going after #3. I just don't think Anaheim would part with that. Would you want to part with that if Minnesota was in that position? I wouldn't.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I respect going after #3. I just don't think Anaheim would part with that. Would you want to part with that if Minnesota was in that position? I wouldn't.
They seem generally pretty down on Zegras and I figured it might be an opportunity that we could grab a guy at his lowest value that has top line upside. Was just a thought

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
They seem generally pretty down on Zegras and I figured it might be an opportunity that we could grab a guy at his lowest value that has top line upside. Was just a thought
Zegras+#3 is a steep ask from Anaheim. If Zegras is here, we would need him to play wing. His faceoffs and defensive numbers are not good. You might be able to get interest if you were to offer say, Yurov+#13+d prospect. Not that I like that either, but Anaheim would be more interested in those types of pieces for their ongoing rebuild.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Zegras+#3 is a steep ask from Anaheim. If Zegras is here, we would need him to play wing. His faceoffs and defensive numbers are not good. You might be able to get interest if you were to offer say, Yurov+#13+d prospect. Not that I like that either, but Anaheim would be more interested in those types of pieces for their ongoing rebuild.
Yah I’m not interested in that at all. Kind of just looking to shift the core age lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad