Value of: Minnesota Embraces the Rebuild: Fire Sale

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Minnesota has been desperate for game-breaking talent since Gaborik left in 2009. The best way to do that is the draft. Wild fans, including myself, are dreaming of Lafreniere on the future top line with Boldy and Kaprizov. Doing a rebuild should net the Wild some top prospects the next 2-4 years. With that being said, here are the pieces that Minnesota has to offer to your team:

Eric Staal
Jason Zucker (m-NTC)
Kevin Fiala
Ryan Donato
Marcus Foligno
Ryan Hartman
Joel Eriksson Ek
Victor Rask
Devan Dubnyk

The "you'd really have to make it worth it for Minnesota to trade them" pile:
Matt Dumba (if you're not offering an under 27 1st line center don't even bother trying)
Jonas Brodin

The NMC (would need to waive) pile:
Mats Zuccarello
Mikko Koivu
Jared Spurgeon

The "won't happen cause of cap recapture" pile:
Suter
Parise

The "young players that Wild management and coaches seem to love" pile:
Luke Kunin
Jordan Greenway

Needs/Wants:
-Draft picks
-top prospects
-Under 25 NHL players, preferably center and right handed right wingers

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Minnesota has been desperate for game-breaking talent since Gaborik left in 2009. The best way to do that is the draft. Wild fans, including myself, are dreaming of Lafreniere on the future top line with Boldy and Kaprizov. Doing a rebuild should net the Wild some top prospects the next 2-4 years. With that being said, here are the pieces that Minnesota has to offer to your team:

Eric Staal
Jason Zucker (m-NTC)
Kevin Fiala
Ryan Donato
Marcus Foligno
Ryan Hartman
Joel Eriksson Ek
Victor Rask
Devan Dubnyk

The "you'd really have to make it worth it for Minnesota to trade them" pile:
Matt Dumba (if you're not offering an under 27 1st line center don't even bother trying)
Jonas Brodin

The NMC (would need to waive) pile:
Mats Zuccarello
Mikko Koivu
Jared Spurgeon

The "won't happen cause of cap recapture" pile:
Suter
Parise

The "young players that Wild management and coaches seem to love" pile:
Luke Kunin
Jordan Greenway

Needs/Wants:
-Draft picks
-top prospects
-Under 25 NHL players, preferably center and right handed right wingers

Brodin would start with a 1st, 2nd and a decent prospect/middle valued roster player?

FLA would be interested as Tallon has said a shutdown LD is his preferred upgrade.
Yandle has been horrible to start the year, Matheson is still in over his head some nights but does still show why he can become a #2/3 D.

Brodin could possibly be paired with Ekblad on top pairing to get Weegar back to his RD side.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sharks should be after Zucker. Maybe something like Melker (cap)+Chekhovich/Chmelevski+2nd this year or first next year? The Sharks should also be interested in Dubnyk and even though that won’t happen what would that look like? We’d likely need to send Jones back (which helps you because he isn’t great). The package could look something like

Jones+Melker+Chekhovich+Chmelevski+pick for both? I really don’t know their values.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As a Wild fan, I would rather keep Eriksson-Ek(C) over Greenway and Kunin. Bottom line is that I don't think that any of those three should be treated as anything precious.

Zucker is the one guy that is playing decently amongst our top 9 forwards(our best forwards have been Foligno and Hartman), and would have value for a team looking to compete now. I was thinking something like Backes(present C) + Studnicka(future C) for Zucker, but I don't think that BOS needs a LW, though his speed would certainly be welcome, and Zucker going there would make a Coyle signing a near certainty...they are best friends. Getting rid of Backes contract would be a huge win for BOS, a team that is still a Cup contender.

I would like to target Mittelstadt, Poehling, or Veleno, amongst many other young C's.

Last edited:
Reactions: pie19

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Marcus Foligno to the habs ? Unless he's slowed down from his time with the Sabres, his speed isn't terrible and Montreal could use a boost in size and net front presences.

Picks + 1 of Weise/Peca Both are on their last year of their deal. Both are already in the minors.

Habs can send Suzuki down and have a spot for Foligno.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not really on board with the idea of the thread, but just to clarify: doesn't Spurgeon not need to waive anything until his new contract kicks in in July? It's unlikely, but he should have all of this season and up until the draft to be traded without his say-so, right?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Eric Staal would interest me, but then a quick look at the numbers this year shows he’s -8 over the first 4 games. Has he been that awful??? Or just victimized by being on the ice at the wrong time? I know he’s got a reputation of having bouts of laziness, but he’s great when he’s on.

As an Oil fan I’d offer Puljujarvi + pick (2021 3rd that becomes a 2nd if we make the playoffs), but we’d have to add Gagner in to make the money work.

A 3rd line of Nygaard-Staal-Chiasson would be decent.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Done on Staal, though it would be a dick move by MN, after he signed at a bargain rate to stay in MN. What is the return?

Staal was awful in the first couple of games, decent in the next couple. It's hard to say with him...even when he's good he doesn't look that good, just finds a way to get on the scoresheet. I have my doubts that he could be convinced to move to EDM, but he would be a good add for them.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Not really on board with the idea of the thread, but just to clarify: doesn't Spurgeon not need to waive anything until his new contract kicks in in July? It's unlikely, but he should have all of this season and up until the draft to be traded without his say-so, right?

His full NMC kicked in when he signed the extension:

Jared Spurgeon - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CONTRACT NOTE: Spurgeon signed a 7 year contract extension on September 14, 2019 which also included a Full No Move Clause be added to the final year of his current deal (per @RussoHockey).

Reactions: hn777 and Homesick

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Minnesota should be all in on Florida's 2020/2021 draft picks & SJ draft picks in 2021/2022/2020, its a gamble that could pay off big time for Minnesota depending how SJ/FLA does going forward.

Florida's 2020 1st should be the first target. That could easily be a top 10 pick in 2020 draft.
Then SJ's 2021 & 2022 1st round picks as i think those could turn into top 5 picks.

This is about gambling on 1st rounders that may end up being higher picks after being acquired.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Would like Zucker in Arizona. Coyotes desperate for a trigger man on the PP. His 16ppg in his last 167gp rank him 48th in the NHL in that span. Arizona needs someone capable of burying PP chances. Kessel being the single credible threat isn’t working. We need someone who gives PKs reason to spread out. Zucker could do that, I think.

I’d be willing to offer Christian Fischer to start. I’d add a pick. Maybe as high as a 2nd.

Reactions: Minnesota

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Brodin would start with a 1st, 2nd and a decent prospect/middle valued roster player?

FLA would be interested as Tallon has said a shutdown LD is his preferred upgrade.
Yandle has been horrible to start the year, Matheson is still in over his head some nights but does still show why he can become a #2/3 D.

Brodin could possibly be paired with Ekblad on top pairing to get Weegar back to his RD side.

Honestly, Brodin would be great for you and I've thought this for awhile.

Do you have a decent prospect in mind? We need C prospects and high end scoring.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

This one really makes me pause and think. That 1st could be a top 15 pick, but also Florida is definitely good enough to make the playoffs. I'm not sure I'd take the gamble on trading Brodin for potentially a late 1st as the main piece.
If the Oilers can somehow sneak into the playoffs I'd love to pick up E. Staal to play 3C or even switching C/LW with RNH on the 2nd
Edmonton would be a good fit if they'd be willing to trade their 1st round pick (top 15 protected). Staal is cheap for this year and next, fitting Edmonton's needs. Minnesota gets a 1st for trading a veteran player.
Would like Zucker in Arizona. Coyotes desperate for a trigger man on the PP. His 16ppg in his last 167gp rank him 48th in the NHL in that span. Arizona needs someone capable of burying PP chances. Kessel being the single credible threat isn’t working. We need someone who gives PKs reason to spread out. Zucker could do that, I think.

I’d be willing to offer Christian Fischer to start. I’d add a pick. Maybe as high as a 2nd.
I'd pass on this. Zucker would definitely get more from around the league.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
What would be the ask for Donato?

I’m just surprised he wouldn’t be in the “overpay” bucket considering he’s 23 and was on a huge hot streak after thebtrade last year (sure a quarter season of a ~55pt scoring pace merits a bit more time to wait and see on him)

Reactions: White Death 24

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I’m just surprised he wouldn’t be in the “overpay” bucket considering he’s 23 and was on a huge hot streak after thebtrade last year (sure a quarter season of a ~55pt scoring pace merits a bit more time to wait and see on him)
An equivalent center or right winger.

The Wild have too many left shot wingers. Parise, Zuccarello, Zucker, Donato, Fiala, Greenway, and Foligno. Towards the beginning of the year, it was speculated that GMBG was trying to combine a couple of wingers for a top 6 center.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Edmonton would be a good fit if they'd be willing to trade their 1st round pick (top 15 protected). Staal is cheap for this year and next, fitting Edmonton's needs. Minnesota gets a 1st for trading a veteran player.
I think there will be better players available for the Oilers 1st(the protection part won't be in play come February) Plus, that extra year is actually a negative as he would have to be protected in the expansion draft.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

He’s had a pretty terrible start and honestly I think the hot streak to end last season was a mirage.

He just can’t skate man.

Reactions: Extra Texture

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Im pretty sure both Carey Price and Tyler Seguin had the same thing

Doughty too. I imagine the players/agents get that so that they can be absolutely sure the team/GM doesn't trade them before the new contract kicks in. The massive contracts inherently make it difficult to trade these guys, but you never know for sure. The players are signing the forever deals, buying their new houses, etc, they just want to be certain that the organization isn't going to take advantage of it if they can. It's smart. Never trust anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad