Proposal: Minnesota - Calgary

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Huge pass from this Wild fan. Kirill is arguably a Top 5 talent on the planet. Put up 107 with Hartman & Zuccarello and a below average PP.
108 points and he had 7 goals in 6 games in the playoffs.

Agreed on the huge pass. There is not a single player on Calgary I would trade Kaprizov for.

Reactions: MNRube

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So I'm a Canuck fan so therefore I must hate all things Calgary and I almost choked on my coffee reading this. So if your reason is that JEE is signed for 7 more seasons at a reasonable rate, it's an argument, not a great one, but an argument none the less. If your reasoning is simply that you don't pay attention to hockey and you prefer his name that's an argument, not a good one, but an argument. But if you are talking about hockey, impact to team, role, etc - I don't understand this at all.

I looked at the two player over the past 2 seasons (I find 1 season doesn't always tell the story - 2 seasons capture a better overall picture in my mind).

Lindholm has averaged 0.96 points per game, plays 19:55 TOI, 3:00 PP TOI, 2:13 PK TOI. Lindholm has a career Corsi of 56.3% and a career Fenwick of 55.8% - for those fancy stat lovers - and a career high 42 goal 82 point season, a face off percentage of 52.3%

JEE has averaged 0.59 points per game, plays 17:56 TOI, 2:13 PP TOI, 1:57 PK TOI. JEE has career high corsi of 53.6% but a career corsi of 47.6% and a career high fenwick of 54% but a career average of 48.4%. A career high of 26 goals, 49 points. A face off percentage of 47.4%

So both are very good players, I can understand liking either one. But to say at this point you prefer JEE to Lindholm seems either ill-informed or a personal fan choice backed by no actual hockey related justification.
Minnesota cannot retain Lindholm once his contract expires.

Remind me again who gets to play with two point per game wingers? Eriksson gets to play with Greenway, career high 32 points, and Foligno, career high 42 points. Together they form arguably the best shutdown line in hockey.

Do people seriously think this wouldn’t be decently close if Eriksson Ek got to play with Kaprizov and Zuccarello?

Regardless, contracts make it a no go for Minnesota.

Reactions: Joseph Nathan

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Ek had 7 more total points than Lindholm had goals.
There's a massive gap there right now, and there's only a 2 year age gap.
People that bring up goals shows a casual nature of knowledge. There's not a large gap. Offensive: yes. Two way: absolutely not. Joel Eriksson Ek is one of the the best two way C , and 2nd year in a row has been in selke voting candidate. 2nd year in a row Joel Eriksson Ek raised his goal scoring also..so there's really not

Ledge And Dairy

Um no. Gap between ek and lindholm isn't large
LMAO, what? JEE plays 3C on a team without a legit 1st or 2nd line center and Lindholm centered the best line in the league this year and finished 2nd in Selke voting.

Like JEE is a solid player, very similar to Gourde, Backlund, Danault, JGP, and Cirelli. But to say him and Lindholm are close is pure asinine. He's not Couturier

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
You're mixing up two different comments. That guy says he'd take JEE now over Lindholm. That's absurd. Preferring JEE because he's locked up to a contract that will be awesome in a few years is legit, but that's not JEE over Lindholm as of now.

Also, the concerns about Lindholm wanting insane money is kinda silly. Swedes are typically very reasonable contracts (ie: JEE). I took a quick look at the top 50 AAV players in the league. Unless I missed one, I think there's only 3 (Karlsson, Zibenejad and OEL). At the very least, less than 10% of the top 50 are Swedes. The next 50 top AAV I think you only add another 6 ish.

Swedes are great. I honestly would be very happy with our GM if he started targeting and adding more Swedes to the core long term. We could be a damn good base with Swedes. I'm not arguing to say thou must take the deal, I'm just saying that those reasons aren't quite correct IMO.
I believe he said "at this point I'd take JEE over Lindholm." I inferred "this point" was referring to MIN's terrible cap situation, which would make his take more reasonable.

FWIW, I think Lindholm gets Zib money, or something close to it. Swedes are moderate, I'll give you that, but he's been playing like a 7-8 million dollar centre while making pocket change. He might want to cash in to make up for that.

Reactions: Fig

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
People that bring up goals shows a casual nature of knowledge. There's not a large gap. Offensive: yes. Two way: absolutely not. Joel Eriksson Ek is one of the the best two way C , and 2nd year in a row has been in selke voting candidate. 2nd year in a row Joel Eriksson Ek raised his goal scoring also..so there's really not
Lindholm finished second in Selke voting this year.

Reactions: Volica

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lindholm finished second in Selke voting this year.

Came to post this.
So if one player is a bit better defensively, and a lot better offensively; that seems to speak to a gap between both players imo?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
LMAO, what? JEE plays 3C on a team without a legit 1st or 2nd line center and Lindholm centered the best line in the league this year and finished 2nd in Selke voting.

Like JEE is a solid player, very similar to Gourde, Backlund, Danault, JGP, and Cirelli. But to say him and Lindholm are close is pure asinine. He's not Couturier
This is some dog water logic here. Give Eriksson Ek two wingers similar to what Lindholm had and the gap closes tremendously. They probably would play Eriksson Ek with Kap and Zucc if not for the fact that Greenway-Ek-Foligno lead the league in GF% at 83.33% (lines that have at least 200 minutes together). That's tremendous value out of those three players.

And I wouldn't say Ek was the 3C. He lead all centers on the team in ice time. His power play numbers are eerily similar to Lindholm's... Almost like when you get elite players to work with, you put up decent numbers...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Um no. Gap between ek and lindholm isn't large
How do you figure? Lindholm is better at literally everything except being taller. He was 2nd in Selke voting, scored 40 goals, is a better forechecker, better PKer and is more physical. I like the type of player Ek is, but he's closer to Backlund than Lindholm. Lindholm is presently the best Swedish forward in the league. Ek would play a bottom 6 role on the national team.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
This is some dog water logic here. Give Eriksson Ek two wingers similar to what Lindholm had and the gap closes tremendously. They probably would play Eriksson Ek with Kap and Zucc if not for the fact that Greenway-Ek-Foligno lead the league in GF% at 83.33% (lines that have at least 200 minutes together). That's tremendous value out of those three players.

And I wouldn't say Ek was the 3C. He lead all centers on the team in ice time. His power play numbers are eerily similar to Lindholm's... Almost like when you get elite players to work with, you put up decent numbers...

This - Hockey is a team sport. Outside of rare occasions in the sport - true superstars(Kaprizov being one of them...dude put up big numbers with Hartman and Zuccarello), a players production is the sum of the opportunities he is given.

Lindholm benefited significantly from playing with Johnny and Tkachuk. Johnny creates opportunities for that entire line...he is the most dynamic player on that team. Replace Backlund with Lindholm and see what happens...or put Lindholm on the 3rd line...lets see what kind of player he really is if we want to start making fair comparisons between him and Ek.

Either way - If you want Kaprizov.....that package doesnt get you close.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad