Proposal: Minnesota - Calgary

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek for Tkachuk, Lindholm

Swede and Russian for Swede and Canadian.

Minnesota gets the better center, Calgary gets the best player of the trade, but all other players are good/great too. Both teams just retool and keep trying to win something.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Calgary get players signed to long term contracts, for two players signed for a combined 3 years.

Minny says no for that reason alone.
Also at this point I rather have JEE over Lindholm. Tkachuk for Kaprizov is a bit of a wash but I like Kap more.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Calgary sends two thirds of one of the top lines (if not the top) in hockey?

They'd really have to covet the two returning players and somehow imagine that they could improve on the play of Lindholm and Tkachuk.

Ledge And Dairy

Calgary get players signed to long term contracts, for two players signed for a combined 3 years.

Minny says no for that reason alone.
Tkachuk hasn't even signed a deal yet so its "2 years and whatever 5+ years Tkachuk signs for"

Flames decline easily because the downgrade from Lindholm to JEE is not at all worth it

Also at this point I rather have JEE over Lindholm. Tkachuk for Kaprizov is a bit of a wash but I like Kap more.
Lol

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Minnesota gets the better center, Calgary gets the best player of the trade, but all other players are good/great too. Both teams just retool and keep trying to win something.

Tkachuk is American, not Canadian....

Reactions: stl76

Ledge And Dairy

How much better is Kaprizov? Statistically Tkachuk is the far more complete player and way better defensively.
u4V001b.png

Don't get me wrong Kaprizov can make some incredibly mesmerizing plays (similar to what Johnny does), I just think it's a lot close to a wash than it is 1 player over the other.

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
This has to be a troll. Dude stop making this post. Like under no circumstances are wild ever trading kaprizov or would even add for lesser player. Delete this

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Value aside, who is playing centre for Calgary? If anything, Calgary should be looking to upgrade their top 6 centres. Kaprizov is obviously a great player, but he's also 25, not 21, so you need to be in win now mode with him. I guess if Gaudreau walks, and the Flames acquire Forsberg, that could work? Would be one of the biggest shake ups in NHL history though, replacing the entire top line in one off season.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Tkachuk and Kaprizov are not even close to a wash. Kaprizov is far superior, and I love Tkachuk.

Kaprizov is about as untouchable as you can get short of the McDavids & Makars of this world. I'd put him in the same category of untouchable as Draisaitl or MacKinnon.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

That is absurd and frankly unjustifiable lol

Kaprizov is better than Tkachuk, whatever the charts above show you there are just so few players who control play like Kaprizov

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Wanting JEE over Lindholm isn't a bad take. He's signed for 7 more years at a VERY reasonable number (5,250,000), is great defensively, a pest, and could put up 60 points if used properly. I'd love to have him as a 2C on my team.

Lindholm is amazing and going to get paid big in two years, which MIN won't be able to afford because of the buyouts.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ledge And Dairy

Wanting JEE over Lindholm isn't a bad take. He's signed for 7 more years at a VERY reasonable number (5,250,000), is great defensively, a pest, and could put up 60 points if used properly. I'd love to have him as a 2C on my team.

Lindholm is amazing and going to get paid big in two years, which MIN won't be able to afford because of the buyouts.
JEE is basically a younger Backlund. Shutdown ~50 point middle 6 center. Lindholm is a 1C on one of the best value contracts in the league, and also a great shutdown center

Reactions: Nanuuk

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
JEE is basically a younger Backlund. Shutdown ~50 point middle 6 center. Lindholm is a 1C on one of the best value contracts in the league, and also a great shutdown center
I agree. Lindholm is the much better player, but he only has two years left on his sweetheart deal and then he will get paid. MIN will still be dealing with their buyouts, so they won't be able to afford Lindholm's next contract. So, you get two years of him and then he's gone.

On the other hand, you could turn JEE into a defensively responsible, cost controlled 2C if you surrounded him with some better linemates. There is value in his long term affordability.

MIN is playing the long game, not pushing to win it all now. It would be dumb to make a push when they'd be handicapped by the buyouts. So acquiring a star 1C who will leave in two years would be poor asset management.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Huge pass from this Wild fan. Kirill is arguably a Top 5 talent on the planet. Put up 107 with Hartman & Zuccarello and a below average PP.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I agree. Lindholm is the much better player, but he only has two years left on his sweetheart deal and then he will get paid. MIN will still be dealing with their buyouts, so they won't be able to afford Lindholm's next contract. So, you get two years of him and then he's gone.

On the other hand, you could turn JEE into a defensively responsible, cost controlled 2C if you surrounded him with some better linemates. There is value in his long term affordability.

MIN is playing the long game, not pushing to win it all now. It would be dumb to make a push when they'd be handicapped by the buyouts. So acquiring a star 1C who will leave in two years would be poor asset management.

You're mixing up two different comments. That guy says he'd take JEE now over Lindholm. That's absurd. Preferring JEE because he's locked up to a contract that will be awesome in a few years is legit, but that's not JEE over Lindholm as of now.

Also, the concerns about Lindholm wanting insane money is kinda silly. Swedes are typically very reasonable contracts (ie: JEE). I took a quick look at the top 50 AAV players in the league. Unless I missed one, I think there's only 3 (Karlsson, Zibenejad and OEL). At the very least, less than 10% of the top 50 are Swedes. The next 50 top AAV I think you only add another 6 ish.

Swedes are great. I honestly would be very happy with our GM if he started targeting and adding more Swedes to the core long term. We could be a damn good base with Swedes. I'm not arguing to say thou must take the deal, I'm just saying that those reasons aren't quite correct IMO.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Tkachuk is American, not Canadian....
He's actually both. He does play for the US team internationally though.

That is absurd and frankly unjustifiable lol

Kaprizov is better than Tkachuk, whatever the charts above show you there are just so few players who control play like Kaprizov
I agree. The gap between Lindholm and Ek is just larger than the one between Kaprizov and Tkachuk.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Ledge And Dairy

I understand what you are saying. The entire proposal is dumb to begin with and causes struggles for both teams

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So I'm a Canuck fan so therefore I must hate all things Calgary and I almost choked on my coffee reading this. So if your reason is that JEE is signed for 7 more seasons at a reasonable rate, it's an argument, not a great one, but an argument none the less. If your reasoning is simply that you don't pay attention to hockey and you prefer his name that's an argument, not a good one, but an argument. But if you are talking about hockey, impact to team, role, etc - I don't understand this at all.

I looked at the two player over the past 2 seasons (I find 1 season doesn't always tell the story - 2 seasons capture a better overall picture in my mind).

Lindholm has averaged 0.96 points per game, plays 19:55 TOI, 3:00 PP TOI, 2:13 PK TOI. Lindholm has a career Corsi of 56.3% and a career Fenwick of 55.8% - for those fancy stat lovers - and a career high 42 goal 82 point season, a face off percentage of 52.3%

JEE has averaged 0.59 points per game, plays 17:56 TOI, 2:13 PP TOI, 1:57 PK TOI. JEE has career high corsi of 53.6% but a career corsi of 47.6% and a career high fenwick of 54% but a career average of 48.4%. A career high of 26 goals, 49 points. A face off percentage of 47.4%

So both are very good players, I can understand liking either one. But to say at this point you prefer JEE to Lindholm seems either ill-informed or a personal fan choice backed by no actual hockey related justification.

Reactions: CF84 and blankall

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He's actually both. He does play for the US team internationally though.

I agree. The gap between Lindholm and Ek is just larger than the one between Kaprizov and Tkachuk.

He's a dual citizen of Canada/USA, yes... but to say he's Canadian in a hockey context isn't really accurate at all.

He was born in Phoenix.
At his draft he was tweeting about being excited that lots of STL natives were being drafted in the top rounds, excited that STL hockey was growing.
He lives in the US in the off season with his family.
He represented USA in international tournaments.

Slightly similar but on the other side of the coin is Myers and Chychrun, although those two are slightly more blended of both countries rather than the Tkachuks who definitely seems to identify as purely US players.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00