Proposal: Minnesota - Calgary

Bond

May 10, 2012
Maybe for a team that is not the Flames. Stall might get a late first from a team that is going to make a deep run. Flames without Monahan are not that team.

Bond

May 10, 2012
You know, what I could see with Calgary is possibly a swap of RD for LD. I don't know how they feel about Kylington as a top 4 guy, I know he used to have that kinda potential. Maybe a Hanifin for Dumba swap makes sense if Valimaki or Kylington can step into the second pairing.
That makes way more sense to me then a Dumba for Monahan base. Only question would be what Dumba wants for a contract.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe for a team that is not the Flames. Stall might get a late first from a team that is going to make a deep run. Flames without Monahan are not that team.

I don't agree or disagree, but that's how adding the stopgap top 6 center and the future top 6 center gets the Flames to add a late first.

If the Flames don't want to trade their first because they don't think they can make it worth it then obviously the deal as constructed doesn't happen.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I don't agree or disagree, but that's how adding the stopgap top 6 center and the future top 6 center gets the Flames to add a late first.

If the Flames don't want to trade their first because they don't think they can make it worth it then obviously the deal as constructed doesn't happen.
I also don't think Stall gets a first at the deadline to begin with but that is just me.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That makes way more sense to me then a Dumba for Monahan base. Only question would be what Dumba wants for a contract.

It makes more sense for Calgary for sure, but the issue for Minnesota is we have Suter-Brodin-Soucy down the left side. Sure we could move Brodin to the right with Hanifin, but then we still need to use Brodin as bait for a top 6 center, so we're left with Hanifin and maybe Menell or Belpedio as the second pair until Addison is ready to play there.

It's more of a move just for the sake of making a move. Doesn't really fix anything for us other than a shakeup/change of scenery type deal.

Although, if Minnesota moves Brodin for a center first, it makes a lot more sense to do to fill the hole Brodin left.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I also don't think Stall gets a first at the deadline to begin with but that is just me.

Depends, Boston offered one for him last year. A 1st+. A 50 point center for pennies could be very valuable in a playoff run. The issue is Staal wouldn't want to go anywhere.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Depends, Boston offered one for him last year. A 1st+. A 50 point center for pennies could be very valuable in a playoff run. The issue is Staal wouldn't want to go anywhere.
Yeah, I could see it at the deadline for the right team. Just not in the offseason.
I also don't think the Flames trade Monahan unless they trade Gaudreau for a center. Flames and Wild are not a great fit.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Do you think they shouldn’t add anything?
Stall is worthless to the Flames. Flames with Stall as their #1 center will be getting a top 15 pick or worse. Khovanov is decent but I don't think he is worth a first right now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Stall is worthless to the Flames. Flames with Stall as their #1 center will be getting a top 15 pick or worse. Khovanov is decent but I don't think he is worth a first right now.

If the Flames believe that Staal can replace most of Monahan's production next year, and believe Khovanov can be a 50-60 point center as soon as the following year, then you're basically trading the 1st for Dumba as an upgrade on your defense. Because if Staal+Khovanov can be a Monahan replacement, you're not losing anything from the center position.

If the Flames don't believe Khovanov can be a 2C, then you're swapping Monahan for Dumba, which pretty significantly downgrades the forwards in the offense while trading away a mid 1st (likely the first chance at a Monahan replacement). The defense is marginally upgraded with Dumba, but it probably makes Calgary a worse team.

It's a lot of risk for Calgary but the potential reward is basically a mid to late 1st for Dumba.

I don't expect Calgary would be interested, because there's significant risk, but there's also a chance for pretty significant reward too, even if it's not so likely. That's my take on it.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Not certain why Wild fans are so interested in Monahan. Sure, he’s listed as a center but not much of one and probably a guy more suited to be a wing. Certainly not a number one center and a questionable two on a team strong up the middle.

Don’t see him as some who meshes well with either Fiala or Kaprizov in theory either as he’s not going to keep up with Fiala and a line with him in Kaprizov really isn’t going to get up and down the ice well enough for the NHL.

Sure, I’d absolutely do Staal and the lower value of the first round picks next year. That’s not a good deal for Calgary. But Dumba and even an addition to Dumba is going to look bad over time. Monahan plays the type of game Minnesotans will go apoplectic over.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
???

Monahan is most certainly a Center, and would automatically become MN's #1C. No offense to Staal, who has been vg to excellent in his time with MN, but he is turning 37. I would actually prefer to keep him, anyway.

Khovanov is most certainly worth a first. Probably late teens/early 20's. Once he got healthy, he proved that he was one of the better junior players in the CHL, and in international play.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

IF Eric Staal waives to go to Calgary:

:wild
Monahan

:flames
Staal
2021 1st (the 1st that is least valued between Minnesota and Pittsburgh)

If Staal doesn't waive:

:wild
Monahan

:flames
Dumba

I feel like Monahan has more value, but I think Wild fans probably think Dumba may have more value given the minutes that he logs and RD being hard to come by. Probably a fair 1 for 1 swap.

If first deal happens: Calgary can roll with Staal for a year as the 1C while we figure out if Bennett can slot back in top 6 now that he has that confidence again. Hall can be signed at ease with the extra cap space.

If second deal happens: Calgary has their top 4 locked and can try and attempt to offer sheet Barzal as the 1C as they trade Gaudreau for a draft pick/prospects package.

Wild get a decent center that can play with the up-and-coming youth in Minnesota.
Did your account get hacked by Guerin?

Ledge And Dairy

Not certain why Wild fans are so interested in Monahan. Sure, he’s listed as a center but not much of one and probably a guy more suited to be a wing. Certainly not a number one center and a questionable two on a team strong up the middle.

Don’t see him as some who meshes well with either Fiala or Kaprizov in theory either as he’s not going to keep up with Fiala and a line with him in Kaprizov really isn’t going to get up and down the ice well enough for the NHL.

Sure, I’d absolutely do Staal and the lower value of the first round picks next year. That’s not a good deal for Calgary. But Dumba and even an addition to Dumba is going to look bad over time. Monahan plays the type of game Minnesotans will go apoplectic over.
That's a hot take and a half. Monahan is very good in the dot and is 100% a center.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Truly mystifying why fans of a team who’s biggest need is probably a center wants to move him huh?

Monahan suffers a lot from the Koivu problem, where's better suited as a 2C, but has to play 1C because of a lack of better options, and isn't truly "skilled" enough to keep up.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

You get my nomination for BTOTD (bad take of the day)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Truly mystifying why fans of a team who’s biggest need is probably a center wants to move him huh?
Are you new here? Canadian hockey market under achieves in the playoffs and a small vocal minority go into melt-down mode and want to trade off all their over 25 assets for picks and prospects and then win the cup. This is called "any other tuesday" in certain markets.

As a fan of both a Wild and Flames rival I think Calgary would set themselves back at least 5 years by trading Monahan. He is the best of all the players being mentioned and by a fair bit. I see Flames fans are over-reacting by their loss to Dallas, imagine that team without Monahan.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Why would Calgary trade for Dumba? We need a #1 center, if Monahan is traded than he is in a package going for a center upgrade.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
That's a hot take and a half. Monahan is very good in the dot and is 100% a center.

If only being adept on the draw was a qualifier for being a capable center.

Monahan’s name isn’t being talked about if he’s at LW where he probably should be and the team was in better shape up the middle with true centers that can get up the ice, at least match the opposing team’s top lines, and be strong in his own end. Especially so in the playoffs where it matters and this aspect of the game amplifies.

Monahan suffers a lot from the Koivu problem, where's better suited as a 2C, but has to play 1C because of a lack of better options, and isn't truly "skilled" enough to keep up.

Good point but Monahan is not the defender Koivu was to hang his hat on.

You get my nomination for BTOTD (bad take of the day)

Cool. Do you have a nifty button bar sounder to go with it?

Reactions: Sota Popinski

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Good point but Monahan is not the defender Koivu was to hang his hat on.

No, but he's also a better goal scorer.

I think if you put him with Kaprizov and Zuccarello it could be a good fit, I'd trade Dumba for him because he's the same age and same term left (of the top of my head, could be off about a year). I don't think he's going to turn the franchise around, but he'll definitely help maintain where we're at when Staal leaves.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Two things that would worry me on the trade from a Wild fan.

1. Dumbas value is way higher than what it's being perceived as and don't want to sell him too low. He is a 20 goal scorer. He shot percentage was around 3% this year. He usually shoots between 8-9%. Think he shot above 12% one year but that was an anomaly too.

2. Scared of Monahan's defensive liabilities as the main center.

He would definitely help out the Wilds FO issues though.

I think I would do it but can see Dumba take off and score 50-60 points and look back and go crap

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Trade 1: we can do better, I would want Minny’s first 2020 +

Trade 2: We can’t protect Dumba/Hanifin in this scenario (although otherwise it makes sense-although I think the wild would add a prospect/pick at least).

If we trade Monahan we need prospects or picks cause of the expansion draft.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
ARE Flames fans really that unhappy with Monahan?
I'm not but there seems a lot of people in Calgary are getting out there pitch forks and torches for both Monahan and Gaudreau. However, that being said, Treliving has to go to as many teams as possible and see what his best deal is. Secondly, does anyone in Calgary really want to see Monahan play in the Western Conference? I do like the idea of Dumba and Khovanov if Khovanov was NHL ready next year. But again, I'm sure more than one team is willing to trade for Monahan in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad