Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa loses a close one, 3(ENG)-1.

Wallstedt good, stopping 24-26 SA. Again, an absurd amount of penalties by Iowa, so he was facing high quality shots on the PP.

Rossi scored the one goal, but should have had another in the final two minutes when he as fed a beautiful pass 10' out and he somehow missed the net. He was also in the box when TEX scored the go ahead goal, but it was a comically bad call by the refs.... he was hooked down, and the other player tripped on his head. Rossi has skill, smarts, positioning, works hard...just has mediocre speed and strength. Granlund redux....if we are lucky. Rau redux, if we are not.

Didn't realize that Chaffee was out for the season. Hentges still injured, same with Swaney.

Reactions: Minnesota

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Iowa loses a close one, 3(ENG)-1.

Wallstedt good, stopping 24-26 SA. Again, an absurd amount of penalties by Iowa, so he was facing high quality shots on the PP.

Rossi scored the one goal, but should have had another in the final two minutes when he as fed a beautiful pass 10' out and he somehow missed the net. He was also in the box when TEX scored the go ahead goal, but it was a comically bad call by the refs.... he was hooked down, and the other player tripped on his head. Rossi has skill, smarts, positioning, works hard...just has mediocre speed and strength. Granlund redux....if we are lucky. Rau redux, if we are not.

Didn't realize that Chaffee was out for the season. Hentges still injured, same with Swaney.
Watched the end of this one. Rossi didn’t look like he had much to work with out there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Watched the end of this one. Rossi didn’t look like he had much to work with out there.
Actually Fogarty and Petan are pretty good AHL players, and like i said above, Fogarty set up Rossi with a chance that he didn't take advantage of. At this point, I don't see that Rossi is without flaws, either.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the biggest issue here is if Rossi turns out like Granlund they'll stick him on wing and there were better options at wing.
Hell, there was a better option at C in Lundell, but it's easy to say in hindsight.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hell, there was a better option at C in Lundell, but it's easy to say in hindsight.
I can understand the Rossi vs Lundell issue; there is still some bias behind picking European players unless they are super elite. But center vs wing...you bank on them being a center.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The ironic thing is that Lundell's skating was criticized a lot, and so far, it appears that Rossi's wheels are the ones that aren't at the NHL level. He's a good skater, but he's slow, and his acceleration is mediocre.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The ironic thing is that Lundell's skating was criticized a lot, and so far, it appears that Rossi's wheels are the ones that aren't at the NHL level. He's a good skater, but he's slow, and his acceleration is mediocre.

In general, I think some of Euro players skating criticisms are overblown. The bigger ice sheet makes everything about the game on the big sheets just seems slower. The 17/18 yo kids in Euro pro leagues are also being compared against grown men not other kids (USHL, HS, CHL).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wallstedt with a nice game, stopping 34 of 35 SA. Rossi out...flu?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa behind 2-1 midway through 2nd. Rossi, after a 1st where nothing seemed to go right for him, is looking grood in the 2nd. Scored on a tip shot from point, also assisted by Walker. At one point he went on a solo rush along the boards, blowing by a couple of people, and I thought it was Walker. Also with some nice speed, puck handling, and decision making in the O zone.

Walker looks fast....caught up to a guy on a back check like it was nothing.

ROR had a nice rush. He's got nice wheels once he gets going. Both he and Hunt are impressive that way.

Hunt with a turnover leading to a GA.

Petan looks so much better in the AHL. He's playing freely, like he isn't worried about making a mistake. Smart, skilled, offensive player.

Milne doesn't look out of place. Skates well, and is holding his own physically. Don't know if there's a lot of offense there. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 4th line in a couple of years.

Beckman...I dunno, not seeing hockey IQ.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Iowa behind 2-1 midway through 2nd. Rossi, after a 1st where nothing seemed to go right for him, is looking grood in the 2nd. Scored on a tip shot from point, also assisted by Walker. At one point he went on a solo rush along the boards, blowing by a couple of people, and I thought it was Walker. Also with some nice speed, puck handling, and decision making in the O zone.

Walker looks fast....caught up to a guy on a back check like it was nothing.

ROR had a nice rush. He's got nice wheels once he gets going. Both he and Hunt are impressive that way.

Hunt with a turnover leading to a GA.

Petan looks so much better in the AHL. He's playing freely, like he isn't worried about making a mistake. Smart, skilled, offensive player.

Milne doesn't look out of place. Skates well, and is holding his own physically. Don't know if there's a lot of offense there. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 4th line in a couple of years.

Beckman...I dunno, not seeing hockey IQ.

It's good to hear Rossi is in the game. He missed the last 2. No clue why: sick, hurt, benched, had flights on Southwest and got stranded somewhere.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's good to hear Rossi is in the game. He missed the last 2. No clue why: sick, hurt, benched, had flights on Southwest and got stranded somewhere.
Think it was the flu. He didn't get any more points in the game, but i thought he was vg, if not excellent. He set up a lot of guys, but they fumbled the chances. I don't know that he is ever going to be a guy who dominates like Kaprizov, but i do see him being a guy who handles the puck a lot and makes others better. In theory, he should mesh well with Boldy, or an out and out shooter.

Walker ended up with 1g, 1a in a 5-2 loss. Picking up where he left off. I think he can play in the NHL right now, but if he got a little stronger he'd be a sure thing.

I don't know that anyone else is ready for the NHL .... probably Rossi? Army started out with a line of him, Beckman, and Walker, but broke it up. I think Walker and Rossi need to be playing together. Would like to see Rossi setting Walker free on some breakaways.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild up 5-2 over GR, even though being outshot, I think?

Walker with a really nice assist on Petan's PP goal, then the two hooked up for a really nice 2 on 2 rush resulting in a goal by Walker.

Beckman used Walker as a decoy on a 2 on 1, and sniped a goal. He's getting better. If he ends the season well, and has a really good off season getting stronger, he might have a chance to make the team next year.

Milne scored on a penalty shot, then assisted on another. Workmanlike. Nice speed.

No points for Rossi, but he looks good.

Young Dmen are mostly unnoticeable, but not in a bad way.

Walker is noticeably good. My only thing with him is that I would like him to get stronger, but everything else looks really good. He plays both ways, too, though he I think he is an offensive player first- I don't think you want to take that away from him. Maybe if we wanted to get greedy we would play him at C, but a RHS RW isn't the worst thing. The scoring is there, the playmaking, PP.

Having said all that, Petan is looking vg down in Iowa, and was a ghost in the NHL. I don't know if it's a confidence thing, or that his physical limitations stop him from moving up to the NHL.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Weird. Wonder why? Numbers game, and he had a an offer to go somewhere else ?

He wasn't getting games in Iowa due to the veteran rule and being the odd man out. Joseph made a deal with Adler Mannheim (DEL), and Wild did him a solid by letting him go there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He wasn't getting games in Iowa due to the veteran rule and being the odd man out. Joseph made a deal with Adler Mannheim (DEL), and Wild did him a solid by letting him go there.

He’s a good all player

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
1-0 in 2nd over GR. Petan and Walker making like Zucc and Kap passing back and forth behind the net on the PP, till Petan tried to chip it over the goalie. Rebound came to Fogarty, who chipped it in. Those two are smart players.

I like this giant Soderbloom guy for GR. Plays tough, has a bit of skill. I'd just as soon have him as Greenway.

Now 3-0. Walker with a shortie that was completely insane...we've got to find a way to get this guy up here, assuming that we want offense and skill from our forwards. Hope someone can find a clip of the goal and post it. Used Rossi as a decoy

Petan from Fogarty ES. Pretty, unselfish, passing play. Fogarty, Petan, Walker all with 1g, 1a. PP, SH, and ES goal. Very cool.

Rossi is playing well and on the ice for a lot of good things. just not on the scoresheet tonight. Beckman hit iron the PP after cleanly beating goalie, and made a nice pass.

Wallstedt pitching a shut out on 16 shots. Nedjelkovic in net, but it's not on him...his D zone coverage is pretty bad.

Haven't even noticed Edvinsson.

4-0 final.

Petan 3 pts.

Swaney, Walker, fogarty with two.

Wallstedt stops 24 shots for the SO. Looked solid, not spectacular. Can't say i'm impressed with GR.

Last edited:

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
1-0 in 2nd over GR. Petan and Walker making like Zucc and Kap passing back and forth behind the net on the PP, till Petan tried to chip it over the goalie. Rebound came to Fogarty, who chipped it in. Those two are smart players.

I like this giant Soderbloom guy for GR. Plays tough, has a bit of skill. I'd just as soon have him as Greenway.

Now 3-0. Walker with a shortie that was completely insane...we've got to find a way to get this guy up here, assuming that we want offense and skill from our forwards. Hope someone can find a clip of the goal and post it. Used Rossi as a decoy

Petan from Fogarty ES. Pretty, unselfish, passing play. Fogarty, Petan, Walker all with 1g, 1a. PP, SH, and ES goal. Very cool.

Rossi is playing well and on the ice for a lot of good things. just not on the scoresheet tonight. Beckman hit iron the PP after cleanly beating goalie, and made a nice pass.

Wallstedt pitching a shut out on 16 shots. Nedjelkovic in net, but it's not on him...his D zone coverage is pretty bad.

Haven't even noticed Edvinsson.
That’s a big active crowd in GR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad