OT: Mini vacation in Edmonton - Any Tips/Spots to check out?

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I would highly recommend a donair.
hey @Lucbourdon

Been awhile since I seen you around. To the homies here Luc is a good poster and Nucks fan. Always found you to be fair.

This weekend, actually starting tomorrow, is the Flying Canoe Festival Located in and around Millcreek Ravine to La Cite Francophone.

| Festival Edmonton| Flying Flying Canoe Flying (flyingcanoevolant.ca)

This is in Edmonton's beautiful French district if you don't know about it. Its definitely worth checking out and one of my favorite things to do in Edmonton. This is a night festival btw, starting 6pm every night from Thursday -Sunday.

Also go DT, check out the Arena District and the Arts District. Theres also a Funicular that goes down to river valley from back of the MacDonald Hotel.

U of A campus if you're into that kind of thing is better than UBC, jmo, and some nice location sites and views as well.
Alberta Legislature is nice but a lot of protests going on lately.

Good week for the Flying Canoe, which is pretty cool. And normally it is a lot colder.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You guys are slowly stopping me from changing my opinion on Edmonton fans, stop it! We hate each-other damn it!! :laugh:

The amount of trash talk i have done here over the years, No matter how i am off the “rink” Gotta keep that rivalry going haha, I am sure you guys wouldn’t change it either:fight:

I will say this, The response has been great, Honestly were thankful, Going to check out a majority of these suggestions.

— Ill look more i to this thread when i wake up, Really exhausted from the 1 hr and 4 minute flight:laugh:

in all honestly, had to wake up at 4:00am lol
Thanks for all the tips so far:thumbu:

Get a donair.

People talk about Halifax being the donair capital of Canada, I would submit that northern Alberta has the best donairs.

I can’t find anything in Calgary that’s quite as good as what you’ll find in northern Alberta.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Get a donair.

People talk about Halifax being the donair capital of Canada, I would submit that northern Alberta has the best donairs.

I can’t find anything in Calgary that’s quite as good as what you’ll find in northern Alberta.

I think it’s the sweet sauce for me, something about it just isn’t the same in Calgary.

Aside from donair, at the top of every level, food will always be better in Vancouver in my opinion. From obviously sushi, to fine dining, to Chinese, to bbq, to fun gimmicky foods, you guys got us beat.

West Edmonton Mall, basically a must-go for first timers. I sometimes forget how cool the mall is if you’ve never seen it before.

River Valley drives, somewhat underrated but you’ll get a nice view of our city skyline. Could also go for a walk or jog if that’s what you’re in to.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’ll go into more detail on my adventures so far in a bit.

But let me say this, I just went to Swiss Donair’s.

Holy Shit

Easily the best Donair i have ever had, Rediculous.

Welcome to northern Alberta.

Donairs are the food of HFOil.

They don’t make them on the west coast anything like they do in Alberta, but northern Alberta in particular. As someone who grew up even north of Edmonton but now live in Calgary, there’s just something different about the ones up there.

Best donairs in Canada.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Agree with the other comments, March + winter months is not the best time to visit Edmonton. If you can’t stand the cold and don’t want to do too much driving on the bad roads, WEM might be your best bet to kill some time indoors.

Assuming you are from Vancouver I wouldn’t expect too much from the Asian food here. Some of the suggestions above were great especially for Edmonton’s standard. But I always tell all my Vancouver/Toronto friends who visit to leave their Van/Tor food expectations behind. We still have a lot of catching up to do lol

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Damn just the post above, I’m tempted to try a donair now. Live in Edmonton but never had a donair before lol

Which donair shops are in your top 3 people? I’m going for a donair run this weekend lol

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Food will depend on the cuisine you like and obviously your budget but I'll make a list encompasses a little bit of everything from cheap eats to higher end and all in between. Since you're from Vancouver I'll do my best to compare

Here's a list of some of my personal favourites or my go-to spots in no particular order:

Turkish/Mediterranean and Donair: Swiss is probably your best bet but I like Top as well for donairs. Turquaz is great and so is Sahara for sit down Mediterranean kabob spots. Much better than what you'll find in Vancouver, Zaatar w Zeit doesn't really compare

Indian: Similar to Surrey. I like Little India, Zaika and Punjab Sweets but there's a bunch of spots on 34th Ave and after 91st just outside of Mill Woods.

Southeast Asian: I like Pho Hoan Pasteur or Volcano for Viet. Syphay is good for Thai, Boualouang is decent Thai and Laotian.

Korean: Bul Go Gi House or Hanjan. 34th Ave and 91 area also has plenty of Korean choices though

Chinese/Hot Pot/Dim Sum: Chinese Hot Pot buffet, Tasty Noodle. There's also Lucky 97 but tbh that area around Chinatown can be kinda sketchy

Sushi/Japanese: You're from Vancouver. Go to Miku lmao

Italian: Amore, Sicilian Pasta Kitchen, Chianti is decent for the price. Tony's is probably the best pizza in town. Most spots in Little Italy will crush it in this category though.

French/Poutine: The Marc for fancier if I had to pick with stuff like foie gras etc. Or La Ronde. Otherwise French Canadian we'll go with Cheese Factory for poutine or even La Poutine

BBQ/Cajun/Steak: I find we're lacking a real BBQ scene here so MEAT is probably your best choice for this. Otherwise honestly go to The Keg and get a steak. Dat Alberta beef

Mexican: I like Huma but El Cortez or Très Carnales are alright too

There's like 30 cafes I can suggest depending on where you are in the city. I still personally like Block 1912 but there's sooo many, Café Bicyclette, Paramo, Credo, La Boscoe and Square One are all good. Brewandbloom if you're here with a lady.

Idk I'm probably missing others but this should cover food tbh :laugh:

Things to do: Go to WEM, go to the muttart, go to ice district and catch an Oiler game. Art Gallery is cool, same with the new Alberta museum if that's your scene. Enjoy your time here

Any good suggestions for donair on the south side or west side ? I want to try one so bad but not driving across town in this weather

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Agree with the other comments, March + winter months is not the best time to visit Edmonton. If you can’t stand the cold and don’t want to do too much driving on the bad roads, WEM might be your best bet to kill some time indoors.

Assuming you are from Vancouver I wouldn’t expect too much from the Asian food here. Some of the suggestions above were great especially for Edmonton’s standard. But I always tell all my Vancouver/Toronto friends who visit to leave their Van/Tor food expectations behind. We still have a lot of catching up to do lol

Yeah anything Asian will likely be better in Van for sure, I even alluded to it lmao, but it's not tooooo bad here depending on where you go. Viet is a sizeable community so there are some solid options.

For fine dining I don't think we really have anything that compares to Alberni St in Vancouver, Black + Blue is elite there, but imo our strongest foods are the cheaper or mid level range. Middle Eastern and Donair is top tier here and the Indian is pretty solid since those are fairly large communities here. I expect there to be more high end stuff as the ice district fills out a little more. There's a nice tapas place on 103 st that was mentioned, Bodega, Sabor etc. They're coming slowly with time.

Any good suggestions for donair on the south side or west side ? I want to try one so bad but not driving across town in this weather

Again I enjoy Top which are everywhere. Amean isn't too bad on 99 street. World's Finest is downtown and it's decent. Simon King used to be pretty good but it's been a while since I've gone there tbh. Unfortunately don't know many in the west end as I usually don't venture out there as often but hopefully those are helpful!

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Bro HFOil is toxic as hell. We even hate ourselves here

meh you kind of learn to love it. ive had friend that left this board because it was always negative. honestly, if you just look at this as a place to vent for people when shit goes downhill its not so bad. I was pretty bitter at one point (mact t being introduced as GM i think was my lowe point as a fan)

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hey everybody, I know I’m a Canucks fan, but I just landed in Edmonton for a mini vacation, due to visiting family/friends.

I have never been here before, so it would be absolutely amazing if you guys can show me some spots to check out, maybe some restaurants, and some obvious things to look at before I head back to Vancouver.

Also maybe some places I should kind of ignore, I heard things about North East Edmonton.
I would really appreciate it, thanks guys:cheers:

anyways before i forget OP.

go do some tobogganing on conners hill (bring some drinks to ;) )

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Oh, another suggestion!

Bring your Vancouver jersey out and go to the outdoor rinks. It’s always great to see the variety of jerseys and nothing beats a game of pick up.

Other night I went out for a session was crazy for jerseys, skate blade Linden jersey, flaming horse Iginla, LA Gretzky jersey for some reason and there’s me with my shits and giggles Mark Borowiecki Winter Classic jersey hahaha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad