OT: Mini vacation in Edmonton - Any Tips/Spots to check out?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hey everybody, I know I’m a Canucks fan, but I just landed in Edmonton for a mini vacation, due to visiting family/friends.

I have never been here before, so it would be absolutely amazing if you guys can show me some spots to check out, maybe some restaurants, and some obvious things to look at before I head back to Vancouver.

Also maybe some places I should kind of ignore, I heard things about North East Edmonton.
I would really appreciate it, thanks guys:cheers:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
West Edmonton Mall obviously
Muttart Conservatory
Museum downtown
Escape rooms all over the south side.
As a hockey fan the ice district downtown is a killer place to hang out.
Space and Science centre on the west side.
Definitely avoid the North side.

I know nothing about restaurants as I'm a filthy BPs schill.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Last edited:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Tip is to come back in June. I came back to YEG 5 years ago and can't stand it here in the winter and I've tried. May be some interesting things/restaurants in the Old Strathcona area since you're here already. Museums downtown?:huh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
hey @Lucbourdon

Been awhile since I seen you around. To the homies here Luc is a good poster and Nucks fan. Always found you to be fair.

This weekend, actually starting tomorrow, is the Flying Canoe Festival Located in and around Millcreek Ravine to La Cite Francophone.

| Festival Edmonton| Flying Flying Canoe Flying (flyingcanoevolant.ca)

This is in Edmonton's beautiful French district if you don't know about it. Its definitely worth checking out and one of my favorite things to do in Edmonton. This is a night festival btw, starting 6pm every night from Thursday -Sunday.

Also go DT, check out the Arena District and the Arts District. Theres also a Funicular that goes down to river valley from back of the MacDonald Hotel.

U of A campus if you're into that kind of thing is better than UBC, jmo, and some nice location sites and views as well.
Alberta Legislature is nice but a lot of protests going on lately.

Last edited:

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
hey @Lucbourdon

Been awhile since I seen you around. To the homies here Luc is a good poster and Nucks fan. Always found you to be fair.

This weekend, actually starting tomorrow, is the Flying Canoe Festival Located in and around Millcreek Ravine to La Cite Francophone.

This is in Edmonton's beautiful French district if you don't know about it. Its definitely worth checking out and one of my favorite things to do in Edmonton.

Also go DT, check out the Arena District and the Arts District. Theres also a Funicular that goes down to river valley from back of the MacDonald Hotel.

U of A campus if you're into that kind of thing is better than UBC, jmo, and some nice location sites and views as well.
100% that @Lucbourdon is as fair & positive as they come.

Whenever I’m visiting my Oldest Ginger, I find myself downtown in the Arts District as well at some point.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Food will depend on the cuisine you like and obviously your budget but I'll make a list encompasses a little bit of everything from cheap eats to higher end and all in between. Since you're from Vancouver I'll do my best to compare

Here's a list of some of my personal favourites or my go-to spots in no particular order:

Turkish/Mediterranean and Donair: Swiss is probably your best bet but I like Top as well for donairs. Turquaz is great and so is Sahara for sit down Mediterranean kabob spots. Much better than what you'll find in Vancouver, Zaatar w Zeit doesn't really compare

Indian: Similar to Surrey. I like Little India, Zaika and Punjab Sweets but there's a bunch of spots on 34th Ave and after 91st just outside of Mill Woods.

Southeast Asian: I like Pho Hoan Pasteur or Volcano for Viet. Syphay is good for Thai, Boualouang is decent Thai and Laotian.

Korean: Bul Go Gi House or Hanjan. 34th Ave and 91 area also has plenty of Korean choices though

Chinese/Hot Pot/Dim Sum: Chinese Hot Pot buffet, Tasty Noodle. There's also Lucky 97 but tbh that area around Chinatown can be kinda sketchy

Sushi/Japanese: You're from Vancouver. Go to Miku lmao

Italian: Amore, Sicilian Pasta Kitchen, Chianti is decent for the price. Tony's is probably the best pizza in town. Most spots in Little Italy will crush it in this category though.

French/Poutine: The Marc for fancier if I had to pick with stuff like foie gras etc. Or La Ronde. Otherwise French Canadian we'll go with Cheese Factory for poutine or even La Poutine

BBQ/Cajun/Steak: I find we're lacking a real BBQ scene here so MEAT is probably your best choice for this. Otherwise honestly go to The Keg and get a steak. Dat Alberta beef

Mexican: I like Huma but El Cortez or Très Carnales are alright too

There's like 30 cafes I can suggest depending on where you are in the city. I still personally like Block 1912 but there's sooo many, Café Bicyclette, Paramo, Credo, La Boscoe and Square One are all good. Brewandbloom if you're here with a lady.

Idk I'm probably missing others but this should cover food tbh :laugh:

Things to do: Go to WEM, go to the muttart, go to ice district and catch an Oiler game. Art Gallery is cool, same with the new Alberta museum if that's your scene. Enjoy your time here

Last edited:

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Welcome to Edmonton. Tons of great suggestions already. Our river valley is great, too bad the weather is still crappy.

Go wander around Whyte ave on the weekend, lots of cools niche stores, great restaurants.

If you have any specific questions, fire away!!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You guys are slowly stopping me from changing my opinion on Edmonton fans, stop it! We hate each-other damn it!! :laugh:

The amount of trash talk i have done here over the years, No matter how i am off the “rink” Gotta keep that rivalry going haha, I am sure you guys wouldn’t change it either:fight:

I will say this, The response has been great, Honestly were thankful, Going to check out a majority of these suggestions.

— Ill look more i to this thread when i wake up, Really exhausted from the 1 hr and 4 minute flight:laugh:

in all honestly, had to wake up at 4:00am lol
Thanks for all the tips so far:thumbu:

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
hey @Lucbourdon

This is in Edmonton's beautiful French district if you don't know about it. Its definitely worth checking out and one of my favorite things to do in Edmonton. This is a night festival btw, starting 6pm every night from Thursday -Sunday.

Definitely check out Flying Canoe Volant. Look forward to it every year. It’s an evening outdoor event, with various activities, but I enjoy just walking the ravine paths with the beautiful lanterns they have along the paths. Very peaceful.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Great recommendations in here, @EchoesoftheEighties list is pretty comprehensive as well :thumbu:

Bodega was mentioned, I’d also recommend their sister restaurant Sabor if you’re interested in Portuguese fine dining. It’s run by family friends, great staff and excellent food

If you’re a beer guy you should grab a pint or two at one of the local breweries. My top picks (there are many great ones not listed and others opening all the time as well):

South central:

Analog Brewing Company
Sea Change
Omen

Downtown:

Odd Company
Campio

West:

SYC
(Also if you like hard liquor Hansen Distillery is worth checking out and not far from SYC)

Special mention: Bent Stick, went to school with one of the guys that runs it. Unfortunately they are not open right now as they are moving locations but you should be able to find their stuff on tap locally.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Definitely check out Flying Canoe Volant. Look forward to it every year. It’s an evening outdoor event, with various activities, but I enjoy just walking the ravine paths with the beautiful lanterns they have along the paths. Very peaceful.

It is unique, fantastic, and visitors have loved it. They've added to the events too. The canoe races and such. If they're doing that this year. but yeah we love the lighted illuninations, displays and the whole fun feel of the festival. been going for a dozen years or so.

bonus this year is its so warm. We've been out when its -30 for this. So many people still don't know this is going on. I love enjoying our winters and doing all kinds of stuff.

Advise people to take your best grip footwear for this one. It can get really slippery out and theres lots of up and downs in the ravine lighted trails. But the great thing is people can stick to the traversing they are comfortable with.

Somebody mentioned Cafe Bicyclette and The Korean Bulgogi house also in the area. The Bulgogi house will fill anybody up real cheap. Unbelievable value. Pretty much a hole in the wall but good food.

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Great recommendations in here, @EchoesoftheEighties list is pretty comprehensive as well :thumbu:

Bodega was mentioned, I’d also recommend their sister restaurant Sabor if you’re interested in Portuguese fine dining. It’s run by family friends, great staff and excellent food

I forgot Sabor! Good catch, I love that place

Somebody mentioned Cafe Bicyclette and The Korean Bulgogi house also in the area. The Bulgogi house will fill anybody up real cheap. Unbelievable value. Pretty much a hole in the wall but good food.

Definition of hole in the wall. Doesn't look like much but has unreal Korean BBQ

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It is unique, fantastic, and visitors have loved it. They've added to the events too. The canoe races and such. If they're doing that this year. but yeah we love the lighted illuninations, displays and the whole fun feel of the festival. been going for a dozen years or so.

bonus this year is its so warm. We've been out when its -30 for this. So many people still don't know this is going on. I love enjoying our winters and doing all kinds of stuff.

Advise people to take your best grip footwear for this one. It can get really slippery out and theres lots of up and downs in the ravine lighted trails. But the great thing is people can stick to the traversing they are comfortable with.

Also agree, Bulgogi House and Cafe Bicyclette both excellent choices for noshing.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hey everybody, I know I’m a Canucks fan, but I just landed in Edmonton for a mini vacation, due to visiting family/friends.

I have never been here before, so it would be absolutely amazing if you guys can show me some spots to check out, maybe some restaurants, and some obvious things to look at before I head back to Vancouver.

Also maybe some places I should kind of ignore, I heard things about North East Edmonton.
I would really appreciate it, thanks guys:cheers:

Why in march?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad