GDT: Mini Oilers @ Flames 2pm MT Scotiabank Saddledump

Taco's or Burrito's

• Total voters

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Rushing or not, I have new motivation for Bouchard to make the NHL squad this year or next so he doesn't have to be subject to Woodcroft and his PP ever again.

Oh yeah, I forgot that peanut head is in charge of Bakersfield now. lol

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

He’s the most unlucky player in the world.

Crazy. That happened right in front of me, he was really slow leaving the zone afterwards and screaming at the ref.

Makes sense he was so mad after that play, I thought it was just a high stick and didn’t see it clearly, damn.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was at the game....here are my thoughts....

Skinner looked very poor. The D zone coverage was atrocious (thats being kind...lol) but Skinner needs to be better.
Bouchard...dangerous at both ends of the ice.
The rest of the defence didnt impress me at all...poor decision making with and without the puck.

Benson was likely the best forward.
Marody and Yamamoto were underwhelming IMO. Yes I know Marody scored a goal but he took too many shifts off.
Good for Gamberdella for taking a fight (that he didnt need to take) against a much bigger player.

Thought the game really fell apart for the Oiler rookies in the 2nd. The Flames actually have some speed and offensive creativity in their crop of rookies.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Skating and Injury’s ate the only things that have a chance to hold him back, everything else is on point.
His skating doesn't look that bad to me, his hockey sense and tenacity will overcome any skating liability (if he has one). He hasn't played that much healthy hockey in the last 4 years. Once he gets on track and healthy, he is going to be a good one.

Reactions: guymez

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
and I don't see anything wrong with his skating. He skates fine and as fast as he should. He conserves it. It's probably why he looked slow for London. He played so much

Yeah, he would have to have superhero atheism to play 30+ minutes a night at full effort

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Top 6 and Top 4 I would try for next game:

Benson - McLoed - Yamamoto
Gambardella - Marody - Maksimov

Jones - Bouchard
Lagesson - Bear

Lagesson paired with one of our offensive RD would make an amazing pairing. Both him and Maksimov deserve much more of a chance imo.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I was at the game....here are my thoughts....

Skinner looked very poor. The D zone coverage was atrocious (thats being kind...lol) but Skinner needs to be better.
Bouchard...dangerous at both ends of the ice.
The rest of the defence didnt impress me at all...poor decision making with and without the puck.

Benson was likely the best forward.
Marody and Yamamoto were underwhelming IMO. Yes I know Marody scored a goal but he took too many shifts off.
Good for Gamberdella for taking a fight (that he didnt need to take) against a much bigger player.

Thought the game really fell apart for the Oiler rookies in the 2nd. The Flames actually have some speed and offensive creativity in their crop of rookies.

Jones?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not sure why people are criticizing Samorukov's defensive game. Before the game got out of hand I thought he was good with his gaps and good at preventing good zone entries. He's still got a ways to hgo with his offensive game, but I think he could be a gem for us down the road.

Loved Benson's game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a call up at some point. Morody, too. Vesel's got some game, just needs to find some finish.

Yamamoto was invisible. I want to see him in the AHL all year if he doesn't absolutely blow the competition away in camp. He doesn't have the intangibles to offer up just an average game.

Great game from Jones.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I saw Jones to be really good in this game. He's ability to read, react and quick feet where pretty impressive, especially early on. Made some nice defensive plays intercepting passes and moving the puck. David Staples wrote a player summary on the Edmonton Journal and aligns with a lot of what I saw from Jones.
Not sure, why a lot of people got down on this player. There seems to be inaccurate posts of him apparently being relegated to 3rd pairing duties and severely struggling in the AHL. In actuality he was given the heaviest minutes 5 on 5 of all the rookies, and while it took him some time to get his footing early, he finished strong.
Back to the rookie game, I was also pleased with Bouchard's performance. Came as advertised, big point shot, excellent poise and passing through out the game. His mobility seemed fine to me, there wasn't a moment when you thought his skating was going to be an issue. Overall I found Bouchard, Jones and Benson to be the standouts of the game.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If this was a Clint Eastwood Movie “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”, who fits in the spots .

The Good sounds like Jones, Bouchard, and Benson.

I watched game but missed 1st period. I’m not gonna grade Skinner. Goalies have bad games and sounds like he had a bad one.
I’m not throwing him to the wolves. He did carry a WHL team to the Memorial Cup tourney.
I expected more from Bear and Yama.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If I rate prospects of the 2 teams combined...at least at the top end I think it would go.

Forwards
Mangiapane
Dube
Yamamoto
Benson
Marody

Defenders
Bouchard
Valimaki
Kylington
Jones
Bear

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I saw Jones to be really good in this game. He's ability to read, react and quick feet where pretty impressive, especially early on. Made some nice defensive plays intercepting passes and moving the puck. David Staples wrote a player summary on the Edmonton Journal and aligns with a lot of what I saw from Jones.
Not sure, why a lot of people got down on this player. There seems to be inaccurate posts of him apparently being relegated to 3rd pairing duties and severely struggling in the AHL. In actuality he was given the heaviest minutes 5 on 5 of all the rookies, and while it took him some time to get his footing early, he finished strong.
Back to the rookie game, I was also pleased with Bouchard's performance. Came as advertised, big point shot, excellent poise and passing through out the game. His mobility seemed fine to me, there wasn't a moment when you thought his skating was going to be an issue. Overall I found Bouchard, Jones and Benson to be the standouts of the game.
Jones struggled hard in the first half of the season in the AHL and started to recover in the s come half.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I expected more from Bear and Yama.

People always expect the "best" players to dominate these games, but it's rarely the case. Bear and Yamamoto have both played in the NHL so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't care as much about this one (even though they're fighting for a spot). They both know they're going to be playing preseason games.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I come in peace, not to troll. I was at the game and just wanted to share a few thoughts.

Jones, Bouchard and Bear are all really gifted with the puck, and did really well for most of the game defensively. It was really frustrating to see how well the Oilers D was more effective at puck battles along the boards and moving the puck out of the zone. Their skating also led to far more efficient breakouts into the neutral zone than the Flames in my opinion.

I genuinely think the Flames would have lost if the goaltending was reversed. Parsons made some huge saves in the 2nd when the game was close, and then some of the weaker goals happened on Skinner.

I had hoped to see more out of Yamamoto as I really liked him heading into the draft, but he was relatively quiet. Your big name D guys were definitely the stars on your side.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I come in peace, not to troll. I was at the game and just wanted to share a few thoughts.

Jones, Bouchard and Bear are all really gifted with the puck, and did really well for most of the game defensively. It was really frustrating to see how well the Oilers D was more effective at puck battles along the boards and moving the puck out of the zone. Their skating also led to far more efficient breakouts into the neutral zone than the Flames in my opinion.

I genuinely think the Flames would have lost if the goaltending was reversed. Parsons made some huge saves in the 2nd when the game was close, and then some of the weaker goals happened on Skinner.

I had hoped to see more out of Yamamoto as I really liked him heading into the draft, but he was relatively quite. Your big name D guys were definitely the stars on your side.
LOL thanks for your thoughts. It's not often I say that to a Flames fan. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad