GDT: Mini Oilers @ Flames 2pm MT Scotiabank Saddledump

Taco's or Burrito's

• Total voters

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
and I don't see anything wrong with his skating. He skates fine and as fast as he should. He conserves it. It's probably why he looked slow for London. He played so much

Its his lateral mobility that has me worried. In saying that looked fine today.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I was at the game.

-Bouchard, Yamamoto and Jones were the Oilers standouts to me.
-Jones has got some flak around here this past year on the prospect/condors boards but he was good today.
-Parsons played very well.
-Overall the Oilers out played and out skilled the flames other than most of the second, goaltending was the obvious difference.
-Benson looked like a smart player on the PP. QB it the best IMO but during regular play he lacked speed. This is the first viewing I’m concerned about him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
FORWARDS:

Gambardella: Skates like the middling guy in your beer league. Very passionate. Held his own in the fight, but doesn't create much.

Marody: Kept thinking he looked pretty big, but they realized it was because he was playing with two children on his line. Didn't necessarily get that involved. Scored a goal on a sneaky shot coming off the half-boards. His skating looks pretty clean, good stride and he can change gears but he does give off the "tweener" vibe.

Yamamoto: Always impressed with his forechecking. He always wants the puck and disturbs the play. His passing was way off the mark today. Didn't create enough.

Benson: WAY more physical than I would have thought. Always on the forecheck and finishing hits. Great backhand pass, and reads the play well in traffic or forcing it into the slot. Definitely needs to shoot the puck more.

McLeod: Best skater on the ice. Not close. Not great without the puck, but reminds me a bit of RNH in his skating and stick use with the puck and in tight. Always looking to pass. Stays completely away from any physical contact. Had a lot of zone entries with the puck on his stick and likes to hold the puck while looking for a pass or a lane. Like this player.

Vesel: Was this the other guy on their line? I can't remember and it started getting a little blendered. Decent skater. Had a chance and a move at the end but lost the handle. Nothing else.

Vesey: Haha, don't try and fight dude. Or at least don't try and fight someone that is 8 feet taller than you.

Esposito: Nothing to say here.

Maksimov: Skates JUST like Draisaitl in Draisaitls first season. Pretty disappointing outing.

Polei: Eh.

Larkin: Eh. Eh.

DMEN:

Samorukov: Will never be involved in any contact. Regularly will make a play to force contact away from him. Skates very well and has a decent stick. Couldn't make a pass to save his life.

Bear: Skating is noticeably better. Pretty excited with how much he's worked on his first step. Better gap control, but's not NHL players here.

Jones: If there's anything that will get him to the NHL, it's his skating. Best skating D-man, in my opinion. Good hands. Made some good passes.

Bouchard: We had weird seats, so didn't see much of him in the D-zone, but saw his skating and vision in the offensive zone. A really deceiving shot. Everyone knows it's a bomb, but it's the slowest yet smoothest and somehow quick wind up for his slapshot. It's weird to see in person. Made a lot of great tape to tape passes. In the D-zone, he does play "lazy hockey". Kind of plays in the middle and expects where a person is going to go. If they don't, he'll mosey over without much urgency. Great lateral skating. Could outskate some players skating forward laterally from one circle to the other.

Wilson: Physical. That's all. He didn't care about the play or where the puck was. Cared about being physical. Was useless.

Day: Womp womp. Can't skate. Made a few plays to get out of his zone, but just nah.

GOALIES:

Skinner: Horrible. I've actually never been a big fan, as he plays a "big goalie" game. Cannot locate the puck or angle of shooter in traffic. Stays square to the defensemen that are around him. Plays down low when the puck is deep or in the slot. On his knees on even the slightest hint of a head fake. Bites on everything. Loses his net. Everything I've disliked about his game was on show tonight.

Wells: Don't really need to go here. Couldn't find angles. Couldn't stop the puck.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
giphy.gif

Better luck next year boys ;)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
George canyon so bad.. just like Calgary
I've never been a big fan of George Canyon but I'd take him any day over local Calgarian Jann Arden.
Now if we could ever get Calgary's Paul Brandt to sing at the games that would be awesome.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
Just because my username is like that doesn't mean I'm being biased. He had a terrible game today. However, the first game, a rookie game, after almost 6 months doesn't mean he's garbage. I'm assuming you aren't a kid. Be smarter
My dude. Your telling me to be smarter when its obvious you don reed to gud! In my original post i said I was not basing it on this game alone.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I was at the game.

-Bouchard, Yamamoto and Jones were the Oilers standouts to me.
-Jones has got some flak around here this past year on the prospect/condors boards but he was good today.
-Parsons played very well.
-Overall the Oilers out played and out skilled the flames other than most of the second, goaltending was the obvious difference.
-Benson looked like a smart player on the PP. QB it the best IMO but during regular play he lacked speed. This is the first viewing I’m concerned about him.

Agreed. Marody had a decent game as well.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Wow some differing opinions in here lol.

"I'm concerned with Bouchard lateral skating"/ "His lateral skating is amazing"

McLeod is a player that has the tools I think. Does he have the toolbox?

Reactions: A91

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I was happy with Benson. He was creating opportunities out there. He has the potential to be a complimentary player in the top 6 imo, will be interesting to see how he fares in the AHL for a year.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Wow some differing opinions in here lol.

"I'm concerned with Bouchard lateral skating"/ "His lateral skating is amazing"

McLeod is a player that has the tools I think. Does he have the toolbox?

In junior he wasnt great. Looks to have improved over the summer. Really excited to see how he looks against better competition. Looked like a highend NHLer today.

Reactions: dustrock

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I was happy with Benson. He was creating opportunities out there. He has the potential to be a complimentary player in the top 6 imo, will be interesting to see how he fares in the AHL for a year.
I could see him coming into preseason and exceeding peoples expectations and maybe make the team and allow us to HS Cagguila.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
One does wonder about the higher end prospects who have a bare chance of making the team out of camp.

Aren't you basically just playing not to get hurt at this point?

Also if the Oilers are working on a new system, doubt they'd introduce it in a pre-preseason game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Now I really can't wait till next week to see Bouchard with McDavid on the ice.

He could really help our team offensively, the question is, how much does he give up on the other side of the puck? If he plays a safe defensive game and utilizes his breakout pass and shot, he could be a + for our team.

Reactions: snipes

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I could see him coming into preseason and exceeding peoples expectations and maybe make the team and allow us to HS Cagguila.

Still think they have to play it out a bit with Caggiula from a recruitment perspective.

He could have gone elsewhere but we convinced him to come. I suspect they want any potential free agents to see we will give the minutes promised.

No proof obv just my opinion.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Only player I absolutely didn’t like was Larkin, I still don’t understand what made them think he’d be a good signing. Other than that our goalies looked super rusty while Parsons stood on his head. Didn’t particularly like the line combinations, that Woodcroft deployed, Maksimov should have been with a real centre and Benson should have started with Marody and Yamamoto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad