Online Series: Mindhunter (Netflix)

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm caught up to episode 7. Really digging the show. The pacing is great, and I think the lead does such a great job. Really excited to finish the 1st season this weekend.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Binged this show in about 2 weeks. Really great new show. Love the gritty feel to it.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Finished it today. I think it is truly great, highly recommended. The guy playing Holden is doing an exceptional job. Actually the entire cast is very good, looking forward to the next season.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I must be missing something but this show is just banal, with a boring lead, and dialogue that oscillates between dullness and grotesqueness - I guess to keep people from falling asleep. And some of the absolute worst sex scenes I've ever seen in my life. This agent and the lady doing it was like watching cadavers, or like aliens pretending to be people. Was this an allegory for the show's themes in some way or what? Good christ.

I can't force myself to spend 10 episodes with this FBI dullard's point of view. And all the dumbed-down amateur psychology throughout this made my eyes hurt from rolling. I don't know what has happened to Fincher's talent for story, and people's praise for the show is mystifying.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I must be missing something but this show is just banal, with a boring lead, and dialogue that oscillates between dullness and grotesqueness - I guess to keep people from falling asleep. And some of the absolute worst sex scenes I've ever seen in my life. This agent and the lady doing it was like watching cadavers, or like aliens pretending to be people. Was this an allegory for the show's themes in some way or what? Good christ.

I can't force myself to spend 10 episodes with this FBI dullard's point of view. And all the dumbed-down amateur psychology throughout this made my eyes hurt from rolling. I don't know what has happened to Fincher's talent for story, and people's praise for the show is mystifying.

What TV do you like?

Curious.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
What TV do you like?

Curious.

I'm watching The Deuce right now, which is good. I am not a big David Simon fan, but he can develop characters, make them human and flawed in interesting ways. And his treatment of sex and violence is thoughtful - it is full of pathos and kind of transcends its own barbarity.

Mindhunter is obviously not trying to do the same thing. I don't know what it is trying to do. While watching it, many of the shots in it reminded me of the video game LA Noir (even though its set in the 70s), which is why I stuck around for a while. Maybe that is what it could have been, a nice genre movie in the noir tradition. I am beginning to suspect that Fincher wasn't around all that much, because it is so low on atmosphere.

Also the intellectual serial killer trope has become a massive cliche.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm thinking of watching the Deuce myself.

I liked LA Noire but man that conversation metric was painful.

The mood, soundtrack, etc., very LA Confidential.

As for Mindhunter, I think it helps generate an appreciation of the challenge in applying psychology as a legitimate tool in a traditional law enforcement environment, as well as some of the other period issues of the time.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Interesting, I actually agree with your point of view on most of that but I choose to ignore it. I don't like Holden really at all, his character kind of annoys me. However, Holt McCallany is superb as well as Britton. I think as they get in to next season with the foreshadowing it should get better. I also love how well they depict the era.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'm watching The Deuce right now, which is good. I am not a big David Simon fan, but he can develop characters, make them human and flawed in interesting ways. And his treatment of sex and violence is thoughtful - it is full of pathos and kind of transcends its own barbarity.

Mindhunter is obviously not trying to do the same thing. I don't know what it is trying to do. While watching it, many of the shots in it reminded me of the video game LA Noir (even though its set in the 70s), which is why I stuck around for a while. Maybe that is what it could have been, a nice genre movie in the noir tradition. I am beginning to suspect that Fincher wasn't around all that much, because it is so low on atmosphere.

Also the intellectual serial killer trope has become a massive cliche.

If you didn't know..It's based on real life. Fincher is not a telling a story, he is relaying them. This stuff actually happened.

As far as the intellectual serial killer "cliche". Umm, again...true. These real life people have some IQ's that are off the charts

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
If you didn't know..It's based on real life. Fincher is not a telling a story, he is relaying them. This stuff actually happened.

I don't think this argument is persuasive. That something happened in real life and is therefore worth adapting, particularly into fiction. I also think that fictions based on real life are just that... fictions. After all, all fiction is based on real life to some extent.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I don't think this argument is persuasive. That something happened in real life and is therefore worth adapting, particularly into fiction. I also think that fictions based on real life are just that... fictions. After all, all fiction is based on real life to some extent.

I don't think believing Dragons and Unicorns is based on real life is real persuasive either

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't think believing Dragons and Unicorns is based on real life is real persuasive either

You're being pedantic here. Something based on real life is still fiction. Even documentaries tend to fail to capture "truth" due to the fact that they tell stories from a particular point of view and ideology. This is always the case. We are not even talking about that, but about a show clearly designed to tell a story and to entertain.

Besides if adherence to actual events is now our criteria for aesthetic excellence, you might then love to see footage of me getting on a bus this morning.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
And yeah, dragons and unicorns are based on real life. They are the inventions of human subjectivity in real life, and are blends of several different animals.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You're being pedantic here. Something based on real life is still fiction. Even documentaries tend to fail to capture "truth" due to the fact that they tell stories from a particular point of view and ideology. This is always the case. We are not even talking about that, but about a show clearly designed to tell a story and to entertain.

Besides if adherence to actual events is now our criteria for aesthetic excellence, you might then love to see footage of me getting on a bus this morning.

Being pessimistic is not really a persuasive argument either

Your psychology of what telling a story based on true events is not needed. Most people know this and know how it works

So when you come out and call the serial killer with the high IQ portrayed in the movie as "cliche". It's not cliche. He had a high IQ. The cliche would be based on him if he weren't real

Now if it were Bugs Bunny who came out as the serial killer and was portrayed as the one with the high IQ, that would be cliche

What you did is like calling Einstein, a real life mathematician, a cliche b/c he knows math rather well

As demonstrated in the show also, these guys were breaking new ground in understanding how intelligent these people were. In a time when they were labelled as crazy. So again, the whole "cliche" label doesn't apply as they were the catalysts for what has become cliche...in fiction that is

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Being pessimistic is not really a persuasive argument either

What am I being pessimistic about?

Your psychology of what telling a story based on true events is not needed. Most people know this and know how it works

So when you come out and call the serial killer with the high IQ portrayed in the movie as "cliche". It's not cliche. He had a high IQ. The cliche would be based on him if he weren't real

Now if it were Bugs Bunny who came out as the serial killer and was portrayed as the one with the high IQ, that would be cliche

What you did is like calling Einstein, a real life mathematician, a cliche b/c he knows math rather well

The archetype of a brainy serial killer is a cliche, because this has been done to death ever since The Silence of the Lambs. I don't see what this has to do with Einstein, a real person.

This said, many depictions of Einstein in fictions are cliched. For example Einstein is sometimes represented as a goofy and absent-minded professor (like in the movie IQ). That archetype is a cliche.

I don't always have a problem with cliches. They can be fun, but this show wants to be taken quite seriously and in my opinion the cliche doesn't help its case. Most serial killers are low-IQ troglodytes.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What am I being pessimistic about?

The archetype of a brainy serial killer is a cliche, because this has been done to death ever since The Silence of the Lambs. I don't see what this has to do with Einstein, a real person.

This said, many depictions of Einstein in fictions are cliched. For example Einstein is sometimes represented as a goofy and absent-minded professor (like in the movie IQ). That archetype is a cliche.

I don't always have a problem with cliches. They can be fun, but this show wants to be taken quite seriously and in my opinion the cliche doesn't help its case.

Scroll up a page and watch the video posted of Kemper vs Kemper

Again, we get that this is being told as a story and everything isn't 100% factual. But your OP came off as pessimistic and dismissive.

As far as Silence of the Lambs. This stuff happened in real life and before Silence of the Lambs. So just b/c it's being told 15 years later doesn't make it a cliche. Hannibal Lecter...that was the cliche...based on the groundwork of this stuff. IMO you have it backwards

It's like if I decided to make a movie 5 years ago about a boy named Dirk Diggler who played hockey and scored 215 points in a season. Then this year somebody made a movie about Greztky. You call the Gretzky movie cliche b/c of the Dirk Diggler movie?

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Again, we get that this is being told as a story and everything isn't 100% factual. But your OP came off as pessimistic and dismissive.

I don't get "pessimistic". I didn't like the show - if that's pessimistic then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

As far as Silence of the Lambs. This stuff happened in real life and before Silence of the Lambs. So just b/c it's being told 15 years later doesn't make it a cliche. Hannibal Lecter...that was the cliche...based on the groundwork of this stuff. IMO you have it backwards

Being told 15 years later "doesn't make it a cliche." But seeing the same archetype over and over in different films and tv shows does make it a cliche.

It's like if I decided to make a movie 5 years ago about a boy named Dirk Diggler who played hockey and scored 215 points in a season. Then this year somebody made a movie about Greztky. You call that movie cliche?

I sincerely do not know what you are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad