Proposal: (MIN/TOR) Free Trade Agreement - Brown, Sparks, 2nd round pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Its not a great trade for MIN who has goalie depth and is trying to win. But imo Brown is more valuable than people give him credit for. He's going to be penalty killing more this season and going to take on a bigger role with the loss of some forwards. Hes capable of 20 goals and hes a RFA at the end of his contract while Coyle is an UFA.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
You're right the Wild don't need a back-up goalie. They need a starting goalie. Dubnyk is 32 now and doesn't seem to be aging well. He hasn't won a playoff series in 3 years. His SV% is on the decline too. Hammond won't be a proper replacement. Stalock is ok, but he is not Dubnyk's understudy. Sparks is your guy.
Sparks is garbage.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What am I missing regarding some of these responses about Sparks. Is he really anything more than a callup/AHL starter...

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Based on all your views of Toronto Marlie games? :laugh:
Based on him being a 7th round pick, based on him being 25 and having played 17 games in the NHL, based on him having a SV% under .900 in those games, based on him having a .915 SV% in the AHL last year, based on him not being able to beat out Curtis McElhinney for the Leafs backup job.

Reactions: draft day

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How to create Leaf's proposal

Choose 3 of:

Brown, Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, Carrick, Pickard, Sparks, Leivo, Pick

Choose 1 of :

Single piece of more value.

This is maybe the most accurate post I’ve ever seen on this site. Follow it up with four pages of Leafs fans arguing about Kapanen’s value and shoehorning Bracco and mediocre picks in instead and you’d have absolutely nailed it.

Reactions: Sir Goose

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
HFBoarders would be ever so lucky if Kapanen and Johnsson were such easy trade-fodder.

Charlie Coyle doesn't get it done

Kasperi Kapanen @22 according to HF with 10 points in 55 games : OMG future top sixer surefire scoring winger so much potential so good hnnnnggg

Jesse Puljujarvi @19 according to HF with 20 points in 60 games: Bust! Oilers Yakupoving him! Can’t develop players terrible drafting we’ll take him off your hands for a 2nd in 2093!

Ahhhh. There’s something comforting in the never ending homerism.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is that not fair to you? Hyman has more points than Coyle this year.

Coyle isn’t glued to Matthews like Hyman is and Coyle plays a more important position. If all that matters is points last season without taking anything else into context can I interest you in Ty Rattie for Kapanen? Rattie was on pace for 52 points, he must have more value than either Coyle or Hyman.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Why exactly are the Wild selling low on Coyle after a season where the majority of the season he was hampered by either leg or wrist injuries? No reason for the Wild to do this.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
The OP nails it almost, but still needs some tweaking.

Take Nylander instead of Coyle and Foligno and O‘Reilly instead of the trash.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Based on him being a 7th round pick, based on him being 25 and having played 17 games in the NHL, based on him having a SV% under .900 in those games, based on him having a .915 SV% in the AHL last year, based on him not being able to beat out Curtis McElhinney for the Leafs backup job.
:laugh: that's awesome

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
You're right the Wild don't need a back-up goalie. They need a starting goalie. Dubnyk is 32 now and doesn't seem to be aging well. He hasn't won a playoff series in 3 years. His SV% is on the decline too. Hammond won't be a proper replacement. Stalock is ok, but he is not Dubnyk's understudy. Sparks is your guy.

I will eat a 200 gram of Marabou mjölkchoklad if Sparks become a legit nr 1 in NHL, if he does not, I eat it anyway :P

I wounder, Leafs has fallen out of the playoff twice in the first round, and Andersen has looked kinda shaky, so is it not better to keep him, so he can lead you pass round 1, or will Tavares be your goalie?

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Yeesh... This one got met with some serious vitriol. Quantity vs quality yes but the value isn't that far off. Sparks was by far the best goalie in the AHL last year and has a legitimate chance at becoming an NHL goalie, Brown is a young solid 2way player on a team friendly contract, and a 2nd is what it is. I get minny doesn't do it, unless it's a cap thing but if he was available that would be a decent return

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I will eat a 200 gram of Marabou mjölkchoklad if Sparks become a legit nr 1 in NHL, if he does not, I eat it anyway :P

I wounder, Leafs has fallen out of the playoff twice in the first round, and Andersen has looked kinda shaky, so is it not better to keep him, so he can lead you pass round 1, or will Tavares be your goalie?

And this is one hell of a troll job lol

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeesh... This one got met with some serious vitriol. Quantity vs quality yes but the value isn't that far off. Sparks was by far the best goalie in the AHL last year and has a legitimate chance at becoming an NHL goalie, Brown is a young solid 2way player on a team friendly contract, and a 2nd is what it is. I get minny doesn't do it, unless it's a cap thing but if he was available that would be a decent return
I think you'd have to take a very optimistic view of Brown and a very pessimistic view of Coyle to consider this a good return.

Sparks, whatever his accomplishments, is still a 25 year old goalie with effectively no track record in the NHL. Kahkonen's 4 years younger and has put up great numbers in Finland, but I wouldn't expect him to carry any trade value right now. Even established goalies are too mercurial to feel great about trading for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad