Confirmed Trade: [MIN/PIT] Jason Zucker for 2021 1st round pick, Alex Galchenyuk, and Calen Addison

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
This looks bad value wise only because Chucky is a throw in, whereas he was at least producing like a top6 forward before he came to the Pens.

Sullivan clearly didn’t want to use him, so there’s a fresh start in Minny for him to show a bit.

Other than that... late first and a bust/boom prospect for a top6 winger with a fair contract and several years to fit our window.... not really a big deal.

Reactions: hmc1987 and BHD

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel didn’t have negative value. Still, not a fan of their overall asset management. It will be interesting to see how Zucker produces though. If he bounces back to 60pt+ it’s a win for them.

His contract was a ticking time bomb and it looks like it has blown up in the faces of the Coyotes. Maybe he wasn't "negative value" at the time of the deal, but he was certainly on track to get to that point and has basically arrived there by now.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
ITT:

- People who wrongfully believe Galchenyuk is a valuable piece
- People who wrongfully believe Addison is a top prospect (he's good but not great)
- People who conflate '1st rounder' with 'star player', whereas the pick that the Pens are surrendering will most likely be more accurately conflated with a fringe 3rd liner/#5D

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Screenshot (400).png

Reactions: Rydgar

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m really confused why Minnie targeted Addison. If that org is deep at anything it is RD. You think they’d try to go after Hallander..

If anyone outside of Pittsburgh is familiar with Pittsburgh's prospects it's Guerin though. Perhaps he did try to target Hallander or Poulin or Legare and JR said no. Or perhaps Guerin is higher on Addison than the other three. Hard to say.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Zucker on his game fits the system like a glove. Pens don’t need Addison to come along when Sid and Geno are crossing into their late 30’s, so if that’s the difference between getting him or not you do it. Galch hasn’t been a NHL caliber forward this year.

Reactions: hmc1987

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I really really like Addison and was pretty pissed the Leafs didn't take him the pick before the Pens did, and thus I don't really like the price here, but getting 3.5 years of a guy makes fan more sense than a rental for half the price, so if the alternative is paying almost this for Kreider then this is way better than that.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Trotz would kill him lol

isles need a middle 6 center though.
Sully had him at about 3 minutes a night. Trotzs eyebrows would fly off his face.

I truly don't see Galchenyuk working anywhere. He tried hard but it seemed like he processed the game at less than an AHL level.

Reactions: BHD

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't mind this. pray to god Galchenyuk finds some sort of Fiala magic.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if Zucker hits 40 goals in Pittsburgh. With that said, Minnesota has depth now at right defense that is ridiculous; Dumba, Spurgeon, Menell, Belpedio, Addison, Johansson and Johansson. I have to wonder what they are going to do next.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Based on reports from this summer, it seems that by using his NTC to block a trade to Minnesota in exchange for Jason Zucker straight up, Phil Kessel cost the Penguins a first round pick and then some.
The Pens did get PO Joseph in the Kessel deal. that and getting Marino for a 5th in the offseason probably was enough to convince GMJR that they have enough young Dmen depth to let Addison go

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sully had him at about 3 minutes a night. Trotzs eyebrows would fly off his face.

I truly don't see Galchenyuk working anywhere. He tried hard but it seemed like he processed the game at less than an AHL level.

maybe he just needs a team that doesn’t play as structured defensively? Probably younger bottom teams. He did scored 30 Goals a few years again and 19 a couple of times. But you’re right, he wouldn’t have a chance on a defensive Team.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
"All-in" is the mantra each and every year when you have two generational players in your organization.

Why the hell would we be ok with mediocre seasons ya know? I'm glad we have JR. I would sell future success for the last part of this legacy. Better to potentially win now than just maintain being good with no shot of winning it all.

Once we're done hit the basement and draft the next great one :popcorn:

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad