Confirmed Trade: [MIN/PIT] Jason Zucker for 2021 1st round pick, Alex Galchenyuk, and Calen Addison

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Do people not understand that Galchenyuk essentially has negative value at this point? He was included in the deal purely as a money in, money out mechanism for Pittsburgh. The pick will be in the 25th-31st range, the odds of finding a good NHL player there are low. Addison is the most valuable asset of the three and he probably tops out at, what, a #4 defenseman who can quarterback a 2nd PP unit? And he won't get to that level for another three years? Not to mention Pittsburgh already has Letang and Marino on the right side for years to come. That's barely anything to give up for three years of a second line winger in his prime who is elite defensively.

And there’s a chance that things will get weird.

Reactions: Web In Front

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Minny is not too far off a playoff spot. Throwing the towel already?

they are one of those teams that might Squeek in but not a legit threat to win it. I think it’s best for Billy G to tear it down and build it up rather than be just above average and not a serious threat.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh gets a 30 goal scorer in his prime who also happens to be one of the best defensive wingers in the league for FOUR playoff runs. What are the odds a pick in the 25-31 range ever becomes a player as valuable as Zucker for even three years of his future career? 1%? Less? And even if they somehow did draft a guy who develops into a player of similar value 3-5 years down the road, their window to win is right now. Rutherford made a great trade here.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Why did Pittsburgh have to give up so much for Zucker? Has Galchenyuk really fallen off that much?

Galchenyuk sucks.

He might produce in the best of circumstances for him, but that’s probably not in the best interests of any NHL team.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Wonder if Minnesota would flip Galchenyuk?

didn’t have a good year so far with the pens. Played decent for the coyotes last year and was solid for Montreal. Still just 25.
I think Chucky would look splendid in the NYI top 6 :sarcasm:

He's a D first Trotz kinda guy!

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
I’m really confused why Minnie targeted Addison. If that org is deep at anything it is RD. You think they’d try to go after Hallander..
Fair point, but I think once we blow up this roster and rebuild, the depth that's there today will be gone. Get the best prospect you can and work off that.

Reactions: Blueston

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Jesus... not sure Zucker is worth that much. I feel like Kreider could've been had for that

Zucker is a small cut below Kreider but signed for 4 yrs instead of 1.

I really dont see this as a big price to pay for Zucker.... a late 1st, a pretty good (but not great) prospect, and a cap dump. Pittsburgh made out really well here.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
So...

- A pick that will probably be in the 20s.

- Galchenyuk, who is a throw-in as far as the Pens are concerned

- And a player that ended up not being Poulin, who is the Pens' top prospect.

For a guy who's good for ~20 goals a campaign and is signed through the 2022-23 season.

Reactions: TNT87 and Foppberg

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pittsburgh gets a 30 goal scorer in his prime who also happens to be one of the best defensive wingers in the league for FOUR playoff runs. What are the odds a pick in the 25-31 range ever becomes a player as valuable as Zucker for even three years of his future career? 1%? Less? And even if they somehow did draft a guy who develops into a player of similar value 3-5 years down the road, their window to win is right now. Rutherford made a great trade here.
Agreed... good trade for both sides. Can zucker mesh with sid? Penguins get their guy and improve their team. Maybe dubas can take some notes on how it's done

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
That's a negative value player, a no value player, a no valuable prospect, Addison, a 1st and a 4th for Zucker and Joseph as far as I can tell.
Kessel didn’t have negative value. Still, not a fan of their overall asset management. It will be interesting to see how Zucker produces though. If he bounces back to 60pt+ it’s a win for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad