Confirmed Trade: [MIN/PIT] Jason Zucker for 2021 1st round pick, Alex Galchenyuk, and Calen Addison

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Everyone is saying this is a fleecing for Minnesota but my first reaction is that they got fleeced.

Is Addison that good?

He's definitely a good prospect, top 4 PPQB upside and had a nice showing at the World Juniors. Obvious downside is he's not the biggest guy but that matters less than it used to. Should play next season in the AHL and then potentially could push for a roster spot.

Reactions: Machinehead

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
HF didn't regard him highly at all until around the time the trade was announced. Now it's like the Pens dealt Quinn Hughes as part of the package.

To be fair I'm more shocked that people think Galchenyuk is actually anything close to semi-decent.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Salary problems. 925k in cap space

That's projected for end of the yr Cap Space.

In season we can fit 3.19 mil
Post Deadline we can fit 4.3 mil

Then in the offseason we can decide who to keep and who to trade off to fit.

Reactions: gwh

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Everyone is saying this is a fleecing for Minnesota but my first reaction is that they got fleeced.

Is Addison that good?
Zucker wanted out so it was only a matter of time. I think a first and prospect was rather fair. Wild get some future assets, and Penguins get somebody who has a history of scoring, which is something they need. I always found Zucker to be a little streaky, but If any team can take make a streaky player score more, it's Penguins. Addison is an elite NHL level skater. Great offense and puck moving ability.

Reactions: Machinehead

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
To be fair I'm more shocked that people think Galchenyuk is actually anything close to semi-decent.

Haven't read through the thread completely. Are people really saying that? That's hilarious if they are because prior to this HF insisted Galchenyuk was a negative value.

In any case, the trade is essentially Zucker for a conditional 1st and Addison. Galchenyuk's there to balance salaries. Addison's the premium paid for Zucker having term on his contract.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Zucker wanted out so it was only a matter of time. I think a first and prospect was rather fair. Wild get some future assets, and Penguins get somebody who has a history of scoring, which is something they need. I always found Zucker to be a little streaky, but If any team can take make a streaky player score more, it's Penguins. Addison is an elite NHL level skater. Great offense and puck moving ability.

This isn't quite true.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't know. Penguin fans have been telling us he's just unlucky and playing good.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I was definitely braced to get less than this, but a late 1st + Addison is far from overpayment. That'll probably be more apparent after a few weeks of Zucker playing next to Crosby in a market that draws eyeballs.

Reactions: Riptide

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know. Penguin fans have been telling us he's just unlucky and playing good.

He's been working hard, but I don't know if I'd say he's been playing good or been unlucky.

The knock on Galchenyuk on HF seems to be work ethic, but as a Pen it wasn't his work ethic that was the issue. He just didn't seem to achieve anything out there despite actually giving effort.

Reactions: Riptide

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's definitely a good prospect, top 4 PPQB upside and had a nice showing at the World Juniors. Obvious downside is he's not the biggest guy but that matters less than it used to. Should play next season in the AHL and then potentially could push for a roster spot.
Ok so a 1st and a prospect is fair value for a first line scorer who's streaky, maybe a slight overpay.

And then on top of that, Minnesota takes on a tumor. That's the thing that jumps off the page for me.

I don't think people realize how bad Galchenyuk is. Even if the Wild can get him scoring at his old rate (50 points for almost exactly what Zucker was making!) he's still always been sub-NHL in 2/3 zones.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Ok so a 1st and a prospect is fair value for a first line scorer who's streaky, maybe a slight overpay.

And then on top of that, Minnesota takes on a tumor. That's the thing that jumps off the page for me.

I don't think people realize how bad Galchenyuk is. Even if the Wild can get him scoring at his old rate (50 points for almost exactly what Zucker was making!) he's still always been sub-NHL in 2/3 zones.

For what, 6 weeks? Not a problem at all.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Don't see how Zucker's overpaid, his career NHL pace is 24 goals 43 points. Responsible 2-way wingers capable of scoring 25 goals 50 points aren't going to come much cheaper than 5.5 million.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't see how Zucker's overpaid, his career NHL pace is 24 goals 43 points. Responsible 2-way wingers capable of scoring 25 goals 50 points aren't going to come much cheaper than 5.5 million.
He's not overpaid, he's actually underpaid. I'm thinking maybe a prospect and a 1st might be given what we saw at last year's deadline.

But then again maybe the market's shifting again, and you have to take into account that Zucker is a on a sweetheart deal.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He's not overpaid, he's actually underpaid. I'm thinking maybe a prospect and a 1st might be given what we saw at last year's deadline.

But then again maybe the market's shifting again, and you have to take into account that Zucker is a on a sweetheart deal.

Ah you meant Pittsburgh may have slightly overpaid! Apologies, I misread. We certainly didn't underpaid, and I guess it could be an overpayment if Wild hit on the 1st as well as Addison but that wouldn't bother me as a Pens fan. A late first is by no means a guarantee and will require picking and developing a good prospect.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Addison is a good prospect but really a the lack of depth in the Pens prospect pool on D made the perception of his value a bit overinflated here. Still, getting a potential top 4 Dman that can run a PP is really nice to have. The 1st will likely end up a late 1st so you can live with that. Wish Chuky did more for the Pens but it just wasn't a good fit.

Zucker having 3 more years is huge though. The comparison to Kunitz (when Kunitz really had wheels) is a good one, I think. If he fits in as well as Kunitz, this is a trade you make 10/10 times while you have Crosby and Malkin still as elite players.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ah you meant Pittsburgh may have slightly overpaid! Apologies, I misread. We certainly didn't underpaid, and I guess it could be an overpayment if Wild hit on the 1st as well as Addison but that wouldn't bother me as a Pens fan. A late first is by no means a guarantee and will require picking and developing a good prospect.
Believe me, I know.

I don't even wanna trade Kreider cause it's gonna be like "oh yay, a first round pick...for the Rangers."

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
You clearly know jack ****. Dumping Kessel, trading Maatta for Kahun, and acquiring a 22 year old top 4 defenceman in John Marino for a 6th have all been fantastic.
He got utterly bent over in the Kessel trade

He also traded a top 9 winger for the single worst defenseman in the league, who he then flipped for a D-man that can't even stay in the show long enough to be called the worst defenseman in the league

And now spewed out the mouth for a top 6 winger

It says a LOT that 50 games of John Marino is enough to convince you that Rutherford has done a good job lately

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad