Strong Island
If any of these players are not re-signed

MIN: Jason Zucker & Carson Soucy/Gustav Olofsson

For: Anders Lee

Or
Zucker

For: Brock Nelson + a mid round pick in '19

S**t away......

No to the Lee deal. Hell yes to the Nelson swap for Zucker. Although the Isles would prefer to deal Nelson for a defenseman or center, acquiring Zucker for Nelson and a mid round pick is a no brainer for Isles.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If any of these players are not re-signed

MIN: Jason Zucker & Carson Soucy/Gustav Olofsson

For: Anders Lee

Or
Zucker

For: Brock Nelson + a mid round pick in '19

S**t away......
Zero interest in a Zucker+ for Lee swap.

And the isles biggest need is a 2nd pair D,so really no interest in even moving Nelson unless he is a key piece in a package to address that team need.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think you will probably find Wild fans that would want a Zucker for Lee swap. I think Lee's a good player, but I still think that would be a mistake. And I get why Islanders fans would rather keep him right now.

The Zucker for Nelson idea is pants-on-head insane.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nelson and a third for Zucker is actually awful.

The Lee deal is more fair but I wouldn’t trade Zucker for Lee straight up, let alone add anything.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Zucker isn't close to lee.

Nelson isn't close to Zucker.

No deal to be had here

Anders Lee 74 goals last 2 years

Jason zucker 68 Goals the last 3

No interest in Brodin

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Look at what I wrote 74 goals in 2 years vs 68 in 3 years one whole years extra and still fewer goals

Lee is one of the fewest real power forwards in hockey and one of the toughest in the metro. Without Tavares his scoring rate is higher in a limited sample than with Tavares and I don't see zucker surviving in the metro. He's more of a finesse player. Lee is a bull in a China shop. As I say not close. Back home in Minnesota he'd be even better

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Zucker's close to 2 years younger, had more points than Lee, while not getting to grace the ice with John Tavares for 90% of his minutes.

They are most definitely in the same realm.
not even close, the few times Tavares was hurt Lee actually scored more. 6 goals in 8 games without Tavares he actually deferred to Tavares too often. Tavares for all his gifts was a bit of a pick hog. when he was hurt Lee was even more assertive since we needed the goals.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t know that I’ve ever seen or heard Zucker called a “finesse player.”

You learn something new every day.

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017
I don't feel like Zucker is the type of return the Isles would be looking for in dealing either of Lee or Nelson for a few reasons. 1st off he plays the same position, what's the point? Islanders have F depth and need defense. 2nd he's basically Brock Nelson (statistically) but with a career year last year? No real point in this trade. What's up w/ Dumba's contract? He available? That's where the Isles would need to look (or at least that type of player).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Honest question: aside from Lee being a better goalscorer on the powerplay (which believe me, ain't nothin'), what makes he and Zucker "not close?"

They are definitely close, but he's basically ignoring any context and team dynamics, which have pretty significantly favored Lee.

A short list of some context:
Lee plays with Tavaras in offensive situations (Bailey, Tavaras, Lee line got most O zone starts on Isles), Zucker mostly stapled to Granlund/Koivu in a shut down role (least O zone starts on Wild).
Lee's competition for ice time has been Andrew Ladds corpse, while Zucker is competing with Parise, Nino, Granlund.
That competition has led to Zucker getting 240 minutes less PP time than Lee.

At 5v5 over the last two years

Zucker
161 GP
39 Goals
82 Points
2.21 P/60
1.81 p1/60 (primary points)
42% Ozone starts
2.51 Rel CF%
59.01 xGF%(heavily influenced by Koivu/Granlund who are redic defensively)
62.37 GF% (heavily influenced by Koivu/Granlund who are redic defensively)

Lee
163GP
47 Goals
73 Points
2.03P/60
1.75 p1/60 (primary points)
53% O zone Start
3.3 Rel CF%
50.93 xGF%(heavily influenced by Koivu/Granlund who are redic defensively)
50.46 GF% (heavily influenced by Koivu/Granlund who are redic defensively)

TL/DR
They are both really good, different style plays. But the biggest difference in production is usage, and they are definitely in the same realm.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't feel like Zucker is the type of return the Isles would be looking for in dealing either of Lee or Nelson for a few reasons. 1st off he plays the same position, what's the point? Islanders have F depth and need defense. 2nd he's basically Brock Nelson (statistically) but with a career year last year? No real point in this trade. What's up w/ Dumba's contract? He available? That's where the Isles would need to look (or at least that type of player).

His career year is that he finally got some PP time due to Parise/Nino injuries who had been the staples in that spot previously. 2016-2017 he finished 10th in the league in 5v5 points.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Look at what I wrote 74 goals in 2 years vs 68 in 3 years one whole years extra and still fewer goals

Lee is one of the fewest real power forwards in hockey and one of the toughest in the metro. Without Tavares his scoring rate is higher in a limited sample than with Tavares and I don't see zucker surviving in the metro. He's more of a finesse player. Lee is a bull in a China shop. As I say not close. Back home in Minnesota he'd be even better
You mean "look at what I added to my post after you replied"?

But "bull in a china shop" is the distinction. Got it.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
They are definitely close, but he's basically ignoring any context and team dynamics, which have pretty significantly favored Lee.

A short list of some context:
Lee plays with Tavaras in offensive situations (Bailey, Tavaras, Lee line got most O zone starts on Isles), Zucker mostly stapled to Granlund/Koivu in a shut down role (least O zone starts on Wild).
Lee's competition for ice time has been Andrew Ladds corpse, while Zucker is competing with Parise, Nino, Granlund.
That competition has led to Zucker getting 240 minutes less PP time than Lee.

At 5v5 over the last two years

Zucker
161 GP
39 Goals
82 Points
2.21 P/60
1.81 p1/60 (primary points)
42% Ozone starts
2.51 Rel CF%
59.01 xGF%(heavily influenced by Koivu/Granlund who are redic defensively)
62.37 GF% (heavily influenced by Koivu/Granlund who are redic defensively)

Lee
163GP
47 Goals
73 Points
2.03P/60
1.75 p1/60 (primary points)
53% O zone Start
3.3 Rel CF%
50.93 xGF%(heavily influenced by Koivu/Granlund who are redic defensively)
50.46 GF% (heavily influenced by Koivu/Granlund who are redic defensively)

TL/DR
They are both really good, different style plays. But the biggest difference in production is usage, and they are definitely in the same realm.
no they are not. In the metro stylistically you have to withstand nightly rougher play and Lee does that

his scoring is better without Tavares than with and your stats are meaningless without context.Zucker wouldn't withstand the punishment in the metro since he s not as physical. I'm glad you like your guy. Keep him. But since we play in the metro we need the tougher guy and I wouldn't trade Lee for Zucker and a 1st. Where they play matters

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
no they are not. In the metro stylistically you have to withstand nightly rougher play and Lee does that

his scoring is better without Tavares than with and your stats are meaningless without context.Sucker wouldn't withstand the punishment in the metro since he s not as physical

Man...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad