Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] G Marc-Andre Fleury signs extension with the Wild (1 year, $2.5M)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fleury came on in the last half of the season except for that tough game against VGK, which he was not at fault for, even though it looked bad on paper. Team folded in front of him. 2.5M/no term, for a high quality backup/low quality starter is fine.

I think that they are pretty determined to not rush Wallstedt, but this frees up BG to trade Gustavsson partway through the year if Wall is playing well again, and;

- Gus stinks again

or

- Gus is playing well(like 2022-23), and BG gets an offer he can'r refuse.

It doesn't really matter to me. Next year they will be treading water again with the 15M in cap penalties making it next to impossible to compete at a high level, no matter what sort of goaltending they get. Thanks, Gary!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Also kinda surprised Minnesota doesn't wanna roll with a Gus/Wallstedt tandem next year

...But why?

No faith in Gus/Wallstedt -tandem?

Reminds me a bit of Dallas signing Braden Holtby in 2021 when they had Anton Khudobin and Jake Oettinger under contract. Vaguely recall Jim Nill saying something along the lines that they wanted Oettinger to seize the job rather than it be given to him. My other thought was whether starting the season with Holtby/Khudobin was meant to limit the number of games that Oettinger got that year which might lower his contract demands when he was RFA.

Wallstedt is RFA in summer 2025 although Minnesota will be escaping the ugly years of the Parise/Suter buyout dead cap hits.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think a lot more teams are going to set up 3 goalie rotations this offseason. Especially if their third goalie is waiver exempt like Wallstedt is and can get games in the AHL if necessary.
This is exactly what I think will happen. Gus gets a majority of starts with Wall and Fleury splitting. Vet to mentor the young guy entering the league.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Hard not love Fleury as a person, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you're looking to contend in two years. You're telegraphing to the league that Gus is on the block, and with his play this year and contract you're selling low. Meanwhile Fleury will be gone regardless and the NMC means you won't be acquiring assets for him. So instead of a potential Wallstedt/Gustavsson combo, you're in the market for a goalie, preferably another veteran like Gustavsson. Short-term managing at its finest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad