Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] F Marat Khusnutdinov signs ELC with the Wild (2 years, $925k AAV)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
people who were hyped about him as 2nd Kaprizov post-draft

Yeah that's Yurov, not Khusnutdinov

In most of my projections I have him as the third line winger where he can play with a little bit more defensive focus, use his skating to get pucks out of the Wild zone, be an effective forechecker, and provide maybe 30-40 points as well. I'd give him some PP time on the 2nd unit too.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I’m excited for his speed. If he can be anything close to Haula I’ll be happy. Even if he is just. Speedy winger it’s a needed asset.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Hype-wise I'll be thrilled if he's a middle six NHL regular within a year (hopefully C) who can be counted on to play consistent hockey. Don't care if he's unspectacular. Would very pleased if he has the acumen to be counted on in a more defensive role and saves some wear and tear on Ek.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'd say 4 years after his draft, Wild should thrilled if he becomes an effective 3rd line winger with good leadership qualities.

In my eyes, he lacks the physicality to fight for space and survive at center in the NHL and he doesn't have almost any high-end offensive skills so middle-6 projection is.. I can see where it's coming from, he was a good complimentary scorer for SKA, but I think if you are forced to play him on your 2nd line your team is really thin at F.

So what I meant to say, people who were hyped about him as 2nd Kaprizov post-draft and didn't adjust those expectations are going to be disappointed.
ty for the impression--we MIN fans collectively tend to get frustrated really quickly if someone doesn't step out and contribute as expected within the first season or so. I'll manage my expectations.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Oh well, another Russian prospect going to NA and they still talking about Russian factor...
The Russian factor now is that if they miss their homeland while giving it a try in North America, or find it too hard/uncomfortable with the bigger pressure and language, it's very easy to go back and make similar or more money. Many won't want to spend a couple of years developing in the AHL at less than $100K. That's the risk.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The Russian factor now is that if they miss their homeland while giving it a try in North America, or find it too hard/uncomfortable with the bigger pressure and language, it's very easy to go back and make similar or more money. Many won't want to spend a couple of years developing in the AHL at less than $100K. That's the risk.

Yeah, and history says, Russian players develop very well in the KHL which is the better league than AHL with much better salaries. You gotta be quite a weirdo to come and play in the AHL when you can play in the better league for better money.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Yeah, and history says, Russian players develop very well in the KHL which is the better league than AHL with much better salaries. You gotta be quite a weirdo to come and play in the AHL when you can play in the better league for better money.
I would wholeheartedly disagree that KHL is a better place to develop than the AHL, irregardless of your nationality. If that were the case, NHL teams would send their North American prospects over to the KHL...I don't care if you're Russian born, best to build yourself up for an NHL career in the AHL, not the gas, vodka, mobster owners, and bad habits of the KHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's usually best for young propsects to develop in a place that you are familiar with, and don't have a lot distractions, i.e. a Russian in KHL/VHL, Swede in SHL/Allsvenskan, NA in AHL. There are always exceptions, of course.

AHL is great for a Euro who is ready, or near ready for the NHL. The ability to call someone up during the season can benefit both the team and player, who will go from making 100K to about 900K whenever he is called up, and affords him time to adjust to the NHL team's system, which might be quite different than the system played in his home country.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I would wholeheartedly disagree that KHL is a better place to develop than the AHL, irregardless of your nationality. If that were the case, NHL teams would send their North American prospects over to the KHL...I don't care if you're Russian born, best to build yourself up for an NHL career in the AHL, not the gas, vodka, mobster owners, and bad habits of the KHL.
This is a silly statement for a number of reasons, and I'm American.

1)KHL has limits on foreign born players, atleast on Russia based teams.
B)Only AHL/ECHL have agreements for bringing back and forth between the NHL club in season.
iii) KHL teams don't give a shit about developing players for the NHL. They care about developing players for their league, and the success of their teams.
IV) Because of B) and iii), added with the fact with anyone NHL close the NHL teams would like to have the ability to call up. They wouldn't send them to the KHL. The players not close to the NHL wouldn't make KHL teams.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Always forget about him until I’m watching a game he’s in. But not this year.

His stats may mislead people (negatively) a little bit but that would be a mistake. He creates space in traffic as well as any young Russian. That works in the NHL. It’s the biggest obstacle for skilled players being able to succeed in the league. As long as he doesn’t get overwhelmed, and can handle the physical side of being a smaller C in the league, he checks all the boxes.

All of this doesn’t mean he’ll be some instant success either, but he fits the resume of those who do succeed. Even most Russian NHL wingers are natural Cs, because they can play in traffic and create space. Like I said, his size could effect his chance to be an everyday C, but we won’t know that until we see him in the league. If he ends up on the wing, so be it.

For anyone who’s been tracking Michkov, you couldn’t help but notice what he’s meant to his game. He creates opportunities for his line mates.

You never know until they start playing against the best players in the world though. It’s a crapshoot for most, but he really does check all the boxes.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
This is a silly statement for a number of reasons, and I'm American.

1)KHL has limits on foreign born players, atleast on Russia based teams.
B)Only AHL/ECHL have agreements for bringing back and forth between the NHL club in season.
iii) KHL teams don't give a shit about developing players for the NHL. They care about developing players for their league, and the success of their teams.
IV) Because of B) and iii), added with the fact with anyone NHL close the NHL teams would like to have the ability to call up. They wouldn't send them to the KHL. The players not close to the NHL wouldn't make KHL teams.
I was just responding to the post where he said Russian players develop better in the KHL than the AHL, which I find very false. I was being a bit tongue and cheek regarding sending prospects to the KHL for development. But valid points on your part.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I was just responding to the post where he said Russian players develop better in the KHL than the AHL, which I find very false. I was being a bit tongue and cheek regarding sending prospects to the KHL for development. But valid points on your part.

I think Russian players are more comfortable developing in the KHL for a variety of factors including familiar language and culture, and sometimes money. It's easy to see why they might be apprehensive about coming to a new land where they don't yet know the language and traveling by bus in the AHL.

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
The debate about where it is better to develop: in the KHL or in the AHL is useless. Each case is individual. It is easier for one player to develop in his native environment. But there are many temptations off the ice. Other players develop better when they step out of their comfort zone. They quickly adapt to the language, culture and style of play. The level of both leagues allows for good development if the player has enough talent and is smart enough on and off the ice.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Intriguing prospect. Didn't stick with SKA and spent most of the season with Sochi (a club that missed the KHL playoffs).

But seemed to hold his own in his time with the Wild.

How does he project long-term?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Intriguing prospect. Didn't stick with SKA and spent most of the season with Sochi (a club that missed the KHL playoffs).

But seemed to hold his own in his time with the Wild.

How does he project long-term?
If he stays at center, probably a 3C. Could see him possibly as a 3rd best player on a decent 2nd line as a winger if he gets moved over.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’ll be a high end 4C or average 3C. I think he can be a real high-end PKer who can also fill in on PP2. He’ll impact the game through his skating, through probably more defensively than offensively as the skill is below average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad