Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Brock Faber signs ELC with the Wild (3 years, $925k AAV)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Burning a year, on him? Hope I am wrong, and he is everything people say he is.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Cannot even be compared.

i'm just replying to his comment

i agree, a trade between LA and VAN would have been an impossibility as the only player that would have made sense from LA's pov is Pettersson

so i don't fully understand what's the point behind your reply, but most hfboard replies are always like that, all good

Reactions: KingsCourt

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Good for the Wild, this is going to be a special player. Exactly what every contender pays thru the nose for at every deadline. Potential captain, tremendous defensive awareness and mobility.

This Kings fan regretted that trade the second it was announced.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How good is this guy supposed to be if the wild traded Fiala for him?

He was rumored to have value around a 1st round pick, maybe even a top 15 pick in last year's draft. When Minnesota traded Fiala, most consensus was that Minnesota got two first round picks for him.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Said this after his Fr and So seasons and his play this year confirmed it for me, the kid will step on the ice as a top 4 Dman. He’s that good!

My comp has always been a slightly less offensive Ryan Suter..

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Said this after his Fr and So seasons and his play this year confirmed it for me, the kid will step on the ice as a top 4 Dman. He’s that good!

My comp has always been a slightly less offensive Ryan Suter..

Brodin-Faber gonna shut some people down next year...

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Really excited to see him and his continued progression, I think he will become an elite shutdown and transition player in this league. He has said he models his game after Spurgeon, and he has all the makings and opportunity to round out the Wild's top 4, with Brodin available as a safety blanket for early adjustments over the next few seasons.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Man, some of the comparisons on here… Suter? Seriously?

I hope I am wrong, but I saw nothing special with him in college. He probably should have been drafted in the late first rather than the second. The jump from the NCAA to the AHL is not small, nor is the jump from the AHL to the NHL, nvm to a top 4 spot, yet some here are suggesting that he will do it right away?

Fiala is an explosive, first line wing in his prime . You trade a couple of late firsts for that all day long.

A guy like Brodin was a defensive prodigy. Faber isn’t even close to where he was at a similar age.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
My memory may be foggy so take this with a grain of salt. I watched some minnesota games in the past as they have both knies and koster and I was more focused on those two than faber although faber does stand out.

Brock Faber has really good skating. His mobility and speed are very good. He generally makes good decisions on the ice. Good transitions as well (can exit his zone with the puck or enter the opposing zone with the puck).

He is versatile in the sense that he could be play in any pairing due to his skill set. I haven't watched him enough to conclude that he is a shutdown defenseman.

Points as a defenseman on that minnesota team is misleading because at various times, each guy got top pairing time. It switched between koster, johnson, lacombe and faber. Faber at best would be a 2nd pp guy or a guy that gets pp time as injuries pile up. What prevents him from playing on the pp is that he does not necessarily have top end tools in shooting or passing.

Suter is not a very good comparable. Suter plays a more conservative defensive game who tends to hug opposing players near the boards.

For what it's worth, i liked faber more than ryan johnson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad